U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2015, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,562 posts, read 7,678,624 times
Reputation: 4368

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
What's the population of Dubai and Bejing?
ATL has always been a busy airport. Always will be as long as delta remains.
I could care less about the distinction it has. Tickets didn't go on sale. Baggage fees won't be waived. Just a distinction that really doesn't impact the traveler going through.
It isn't about population size necessarily.

For Dubai it is about the long-haul A380 service Emirates is operating between Asia and Europe. They are running a service that depends on a high amount of connections with many, many people on fewer planes.

Now of course the local city benefits from this, much in the way Atlanta benefits from being a large domestic US hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2015, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,026 posts, read 9,344,452 times
Reputation: 5653
In Atlanta, it's all about Delta. Not so much Atlanta as a destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Historic West End
4,220 posts, read 3,590,462 times
Reputation: 4025
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
It isn't about population size necessarily.

For Dubai it is about the long-haul A380 service Emirates is operating between Asia and Europe. They are running a service that depends on a high amount of connections with many, many people on fewer planes.

Now of course the local city benefits from this, much in the way Atlanta benefits from being a large domestic US hub.
Yes Dubai is the International crossroad for both Asia and Europe, but Istanbul is a rising star. I think Atlanta could use it's closeness to South America more, but Miami makes that hard.BTW flying Turkish Air in May, and very excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,562 posts, read 7,678,624 times
Reputation: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Yes Dubai is the International crossroad for both Asia and Europe, but Istanbul is a rising star. I think Atlanta could use it's closeness to South America more, but Miami makes that hard.BTW flying Turkish Air in May, and very excited.
I'm a little jealous!

Let me know how that goes.

And yes I agree it is a rising star. I've always wanted to go to Istanbul too.

I fully expect Atlanta will lose the title as others say, but in the long-run many of these rapidly growing cities will eventually see increased competition from other potential hubs (ie. Istanbul), but they will also start see more non-stop flights between larger Asian and European cities that don't require connections, very similar to what you see between Europe and North America, as those markets continue to grow and mature. They're well positioned for the future, but eventually that growth will taper off.

I think US Customs policies are starting to help US air carriers too, especially now that international-to-international luggage can be checked through w/o going through customs in the US. We will see if Delta can capitalize on these markets. A few barriers I see is I don't think growth in South America going into the future will be as consistent as it was in the past with Asian markets. I also see many of South America's regulatory practices as archaic, both with airlines and their economy at large. It makes it a bit harder for multiple companies to follow natural demand vs. being selected to be the preferred international carrier.

We'll also see some competition from Dallas for that market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 12:43 PM
 
6,816 posts, read 6,954,361 times
Reputation: 5486
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
In Atlanta, it's all about Delta. Not so much Atlanta as a destination.
That's the case for most logistics hubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

We'll also see some competition from Dallas for that market.
For South America? I think Houston is the bigger competition and challenge than Dallas. Especially since now Hobby is an international airport.

But this is good news for Atlanta's airport. Crazy as it may sound, I have never been on a Delta flight. Been on US Airways (meh), United (intense dislike), American (not bad), and Southwest (again not bad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
4,220 posts, read 3,590,462 times
Reputation: 4025
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'm a little jealous!

Let me know how that goes.

And yes I agree it is a rising star. I've always wanted to go to Istanbul too.

I fully expect Atlanta will lose the title as others say, but in the long-run many of these rapidly growing cities will eventually see increased competition from other potential hubs (ie. Istanbul), but they will also start see more non-stop flights between larger Asian and European cities that don't require connections, very similar to what you see between Europe and North America, as those markets continue to grow and mature. They're well positioned for the future, but eventually that growth will taper off.

I think US Customs policies are starting to help US air carriers too, especially now that international-to-international luggage can be checked through w/o going through customs in the US. We will see if Delta can capitalize on these markets. A few barriers I see is I don't think growth in South America going into the future will be as consistent as it was in the past with Asian markets. I also see many of South America's regulatory practices as archaic, both with airlines and their economy at large. It makes it a bit harder for multiple companies to follow natural demand vs. being selected to be the preferred international carrier.

We'll also see some competition from Dallas for that market.
True and especially with the 787's, and 350 new aircraft technology making new markets accessible. I forgot about Dallas Fort Worth and I believe 8 runways. I wonder if Delta's Skyteam partner China Eastern starts Atlanta to Shanghai again. It has a stronger chance of succeeding since passenger can connect to other domestic cities from Shanghai.Delta didn't have that advantage before when it started the route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
4,220 posts, read 3,590,462 times
Reputation: 4025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
For South America? I think Houston is the bigger competition and challenge than Dallas. Especially since now Hobby is an international airport.

But this is good news for Atlanta's airport. Crazy as it may sound, I have never been on a Delta flight. Been on US Airways (meh), United (intense dislike), American (not bad), and Southwest (again not bad).
Yeah but Miami still run circle around Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta when it comes to South America. I think Houston automatically have an advantage over Dallas for new flights, because of American large hub in Miami. American has no need to start new DFW service to South America when it's Miami hub is doing so well. Delta also shifted brazil flights from Atlanta to Orlando. South Americans just love Florida. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, Ca
6,913 posts, read 3,845,972 times
Reputation: 16394
Everyone was trying to get out of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,562 posts, read 7,678,624 times
Reputation: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
For South America? I think Houston is the bigger competition and challenge than Dallas. Especially since now Hobby is an international airport.

But this is good news for Atlanta's airport. Crazy as it may sound, I have never been on a Delta flight. Been on US Airways (meh), United (intense dislike), American (not bad), and Southwest (again not bad).
Well perhaps I'm underplaying Houston, but what I was thinking with Houston is its a smaller hub just for United and United is more decentralized in their operations. They do stage hub operations to South America in Houston, but their entire system doesn't depend on that one airport compared to Delta in Atlanta and American's presence in DFW.

Hobby won't do much for fostering traffic to South America. It is too small for that type of market. It is more likely to give local market fliers access to short range regional vacation options (ie. Mexico, central America and the Caribbean) on non-traditional hub airlines (Southwest). The long-range routes, really need strong centralized hubs.... especially given there are not many strong hub operations in South America trying to reach out into non-hub US cities, like European carriers do.

In comparison, American uses DFW much more heavily as a hub than United does for IAH. Now admittedly DFW has to compete for American flights to South America within the American network from Miami. American still has to cater to South America through DFW for the some 50 million passengers they route through DFW and Miami is out of the way. United is a bit more of a decentralized operation and has far fewer passengers going through Houston, about 16 million. They also route South American flights through several of their other hubs as well.

Now the local market to South America in Houston is probably fairly strong, perhaps stronger than Atlanta's, but my logic was just its a weaker location as a hub and those types of flights need a stronger hub.


Delta isn't that different from American and United. I must give them some credit though. They stepped up their game a large degree on fixing up their planes, uniforming their personnel better, and working on their customer service better. More of my better major operator flights have been on Delta, but more often than not it is still luck of the draw. You're on a recently renovated plane or you're not. It might be worth checking out sometime.

I often like the service from one particular airline over another depending on where I am flying to and from. As much as I hate American and their total disregard for logistics and customer service, if you're in Miami the terminal experience will be better with American with all the upgrades they made to that terminal. Their check-in process is still lacking and very unfriendly, though.

Delta will almost always provide Atlanta fliers more options and better service out of Atlanta.

But both airlines can have some pretty ratty service/check-in desks and terminal amenities at some of their spoke airports. It is just a matter of where they have made investments and where they haven't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top