Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 03:00 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,716,081 times

Advertisements

We've had this discussion so many times. Just like any other generation, we can't say ALL millenials want to stay in the city, or ALL millenials will see the error of their ways and move to the suburbs. It comes down to what you value as an individual, and what you want for your family (should you have one). I don't consider those who stay in the city hold-outs, or those who move to the suburbs the norm. I'm a millenial, and the majority of my friends have stayed in the city to raise their kids, but my friends run in a different crowd and are likely a different demographic than those who choose to move to the burbs when they have kids. I value walkability, community, access to transit, social and economic diversity, etc., and my wife and I choose to raise my kids in the city. I have a couple friends who prefer a bigger house and a bigger yard over walkability,enjoy the lifestyle of a gated community, and don't pull their hair out over an hour commute in traffic - they choose to raise their kids in the suburbs. Other friends have my same lifestyle values, but choose to live in the burbs because they work in the burbs, and a short commute trumped all else. We all have preferences, and my preference is no better than a suburbanites preference - it's just that, a preference. Now, I can argue that urban lifestyles are better for society as a whole than expansion into low-density suburbs, but I digress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 03:27 PM

445 posts, read 513,327 times
There are two groups at issue:
(1) Everybody born between 1982 and 2004
(2) Wealthier, more highly educated people born between 1982 and 2004

People speaking of "millennials" often confuse the two. Intown is getting a lot more of (2) than it has had in the past 40-50 years, even if it doesn't have a higher percentage of (1).

(2)s were not living in O4W, Castleberry Hill, Ormewood Park, Reynoldstown, Grant Park, Oakhurst, Kirkwood, West End, Edgewood, etc. in anywhere near the same numbers that they are now.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:33 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,612,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Also, "Atlanta" Millennials are not a proper sample set. Most millennials do not live in Atlanta/Georgia purposefully. So the ones that do choose to stay here cannot give you as much insight as the ones that chose not to.
Get lost. Not every millenial dreams of moving to NYC, SF, Portland, etc. Nor are those millenials any more insightful.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:53 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,077,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
There are two groups at issue:
(1) Everybody born between 1982 and 2004
(2) Wealthier, more highly educated people born between 1982 and 2004

People speaking of "millennials" often confuse the two. Intown is getting a lot more of (2) than it has had in the past 40-50 years, even if it doesn't have a higher percentage of (1).

(2)s were not living in O4W, Castleberry Hill, Ormewood Park, Reynoldstown, Grant Park, Oakhurst, Kirkwood, West End, Edgewood, etc. in anywhere near the same numbers that they are now.
I'd probably take out the group born between 1998 and 2004 considering that they're still kids (and really shouldn't be considered part of the subject generation).

Old 12-29-2015, 04:20 PM

346 posts, read 386,599 times
Quote:
Also, "Atlanta" Millennials are not a proper sample set. Most millennials do not live in Atlanta/Georgia purposefully. So the ones that do choose to stay here cannot give you as much insight as the ones that chose not to.
That's the motivation people have to get out of their parents' house and live in the city they think they deserve.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,844,841 times
Quote:
And you know any of this how?

If you are as absolutely miserable here as you seem to be, leave already.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM

225 posts, read 367,303 times
I am considered a millennial. I guess people have different perspectives. Everyone I know hate surbubia. Also owning and the idea of being inflexible. Most hate yard work and the upkeep of owning a house. Some are not even thinking twice about children.

I love the city, even with kids I don't see myself in the burbs. I rather live in a high rise and walk to a inner school.

Furthermore; I absolutely hate driving and hate gridlock traffic.

However; I love walking to different restaurants, parks, art galleries, and events. I loved living in west midtown.

But! Prices prices prices will be the only thing that will change that. Prices are becoming ridiculous,

I remember the first apartment I lived in was 850. The next year jumped to 950. I called to get a quote they are starting off at 1350 for a 1 bedroom. I can't see myself paying that much but my friends pay more than that . With no worries. But I am a finance major and look at my paycheck in percentages and I can't go above 35 percent on a apartment .. Which is 200 dollars less than my limit, but it still a waste of money in my opinion

Old 12-29-2015, 04:57 PM

135 posts, read 168,936 times
I agree that nobody "deserves" squat. I understand the older generations implications that you need to create the reality you want, and I do see the disappointments in the younger generation's sense of entitlement and scapegoating tendencies to stand by their microwave lifestyle. The region they reside in doesn't seem to be a factor. It's the easy-access lifestyle conundrum that any generation if immersed in would have to overcome to be deemed capable and sensibly independent which we all agree are positive characteristics.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:17 PM

445 posts, read 513,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
aSuburbs are just the most recent incarnation of the mini-van. There'll always be the holdouts, like the vocal folks we have on this board. But for most, the need for space, schools, sports, activities, etc....all that stuff, will lead them to the suburbs.
A problem with this, at least with respect to schools, is that "the suburbs" don't have the lock on highly-regarded schools that they used to have. When I graduated from high school less than 20 years ago, a lot of schools that people now try to avoid were highly sought after. "The Lost Children of Rockdale County" had this narration at the beginning:

Quote:
Twenty-five miles east of Atlanta, Georgia's Interstate 20 reaches Rockdale County and its only town, Conyers. Just off the exit is a mile-long strip of fast food restaurants and chain stores which serves as Conyers's downtown.

Most people here live in newly built subdivisions with names like Ivy Bluff, Annesbrook and Martha's Vineyard, carved out of what not long ago was pastoral farmland. Rockdale County is the outer edge of what has been called the fastest growing settlement in human history, the rings of suburbs surrounding greater Atlanta.

Most children here go to one of three high schools: Heritage, Salem or Rockdale. Fattened with tax dollars, they are among the best in the state.
Transcript | The Lost Children Of Rockdale County | FRONTLINE | PBS

Who would say that about those schools now, or about numerous others in southern and central Gwinnett, south Cobb, Henry, etc.? It's still possible to head really far north (to Johns Creek, East Cobb, Alpharetta, Hoschston) or far south (Peachtree City) in search of "good schools," but there is a limit to how much commuting people can tolerate if their jobs aren't in those areas.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:43 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,729,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Of course this is right.

It's just the modern version of "I'll never buy a minivan!!!"

Two or three kids later, and even the coolest dad is talking to a Honda salesman about the new Odyssey.

Sure, some remain staunch and never do this. But for the majority, life happens, and an Odyssey all of a sudden makes the most sense considering all the new information he didn't have when he made the proclamation he'd never own one.

Suburbs are just the most recent incarnation of the mini-van. There'll always be the holdouts, like the vocal folks we have on this board. But for most, the need for space, schools, sports, activities, etc....all that stuff, will lead them to the suburbs.
I'll just get a Yumba and carry my kids on a cargo or long-tail bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta