Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 AM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times

Advertisements

I lived in ATL before and it's a strong possibility that I may be making a return. Before I lived in Clayton County and had the awful opportunity of commuting up to Kennesaw and Alpharetta to work. So, I certainly want to avoid that!

We need to be somewhat centrally located downtown, as SO will be working off of Andrew Young. I have somewhat more flexibility as I work for a financial institution that is located in almost of the major suburbs. I'm okay with a 30 minute drive.

We will be renting. Max Rate = 700 We desire a 3/2 or 2/2 but will sacrifice a bedroom to be in a safe area and be somewhat close to generic stores (grocers, basic restaurants, etc.)

I was looking at Austell (may be a bit too far) and Smyrna. What is the area called that would be located north of where 75 splits off from the connector?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 AM

Also, could anyone locate me to a map that highlights the major/minor suburbs within a 20 mile radius of downtown Atlanta?

Thanks Again!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Do you have kids you have to worry about? Your budget doesn't give you many choices in the suburbs, at least not in any suburbs worth living in. You may want to consider moving to West End or Westview neighborhoods inside the city. They are are on the upswing of gentrification. You can still get a home for well under 200K or rent within your budget. And your commutes would be a lot shorter and you'd be closer to everything.

Hey, all the young West End Viewers, come talk up your hood!

Welcome to Atlanta!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,579 times
20 miles is far out from downtown. If you live in town and travel to suburbs to work, trafic is not bad. Opposite travel can be a nightmare. I live in downtown and travel to Marietta to work daily, it takes me 30 min to travel 22 miles including 5 miles on surface road drive. I don't think you can find a good apartment in a nice location for 700 range.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post

I was looking at Austell (may be a bit too far) and Smyrna. You'd have better luck in Mableton. What is the area called that would be located north of where 75 splits off from the connector?

Thanks
You're going to have a tough time renting anything in Smyrna for $700 (it has gone up a lot in the last few years). Your best bet is looking off of Spring Rd or Village Parkway. Brookwood and Lindbergh (parts of Buckhead) are located North of where 75 splits off. Again, you'll have a tough time but you may actually have better luck than in Smyrna. I'd check craigslist to see what's listed. I think you'll find more affordable apartments in Mableton, West midtown (Marietta Blvd / Chattahoochee Ave), Bolton, Grant Park and Mechanicsville and these areas are relatively safe.

With the condo/townhome market saturated in Smyrna/Vinings, you can get some good deals on older townhomes in Smyrna right now, especially off the Village Parkway and Spring Rd. I know you said you wanted to rent, but considering the way the market is right now you may want to take the opportunity to buy if you have the credit. What that means for you is that you will be paying a stabilized amount year to year and can rent it out after you move away. Considering that most of the areas will have increasing rents, that's not a bad deal.

Last edited by netdragon; 02-05-2008 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
I've got some people I work with who are young couples with no kids. They rent over off Cheshire Bridge Rd. It's a little grungy but it's got a MARTA station and several new and nice apartment complexes have come up in the past few years. You could look there.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:51 PM

I know the $700 rental rate desired is tight but we want to stay within a good price because for the next two years one of us will be working fulltime while the other goes to school PT & works PT. So we want to be safe in setting maximums during that time frame. No kids or pets! Prefer renting over buying (at least for the first 12 months)

I will look into the suggested areas. Any thoughts on....

....the area around West Paces Ferry Rd?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Also, could anyone locate me to a map that highlights the major/minor suburbs within a 20 mile radius of downtown Atlanta?

Thanks Again!!!
I think you can zoom around this map and get some info: Map of Atlanta Neighborhoods: Demographic and School Information

But I agree with most, that it'll be next to impossible to find apartments in nice areas in the $700 range unless you downgrade to a 1BR/1BA and even then it's going to take some searching. Ask anyone who's done it, and they'll tell you that even lovey dovey couples start to get on each others nerves in tight quarters like that, too.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Most of the suburban area in the Atlanta metro is developed-but-unincorporated (not incorporated cities), and many of the area labels are informal ones like "Vinings" or "Mableton" or "East Cobb", so good luck with that.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
I hate to say it - if 700 is your budget - a) you need to up it and b) you need to cut costs elsewhere to make it happen. This is a big city - the cheap Atlanta is gone if you want to live where you can commute 30 mins to Kennesaw or alpharetta. My first apartment out of college in 2004 was 840 in a swanky ish midtown loft. Things have changed a bit since. Things are more expensive. You can do it - but it wont be easy.

If you're like me, the sacrifice is worth not spending so much damned time in the car.

I don't have even 1 BR apartments I could recomment to you for that price range central to the city - suburb or not.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta