Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times

Advertisements

We built a half million dollar house in McEachern/Varner school district and I have to say Varner is a really good school, and McEachern seems good academically too with a generally wealthy black population. However, I like diversity and find our daughter to be a minority because she's white and I think that affects her somewhat socially. For elementary school, it seems manageable, especially since Varner is still relatively diverse. However, I'm thinking about her being in a high school in the future that's only 10-15% white and I don't think it'll be a good environment for her because she'll be singled out in some cases (some people are racist and teach their kids to be racist). I think diversity goes both ways, and I think races should be equally represented. 70% black is just as non-diverse as 70% white. Wtf is the issue with GA, lol. Too bad Smyrna isn't more affordable with better schools or I would have stayed there. It is adequately diverse. Marietta High seems like the only other option. I don't like East Cobb because of the traffic with the river creating a barrier in one direction.

Additionally, a lot of our daughter's friends from sports are in Harrison and Hillgrove.

Hillgrove has grown more diverse, and Still/Lovinggood/Hillgrove is pretty close to where we live, however Hillgrove's problem is that it's overcrowded and about to become chronically overcrowded. I hear tons more parents naively say "we'll be moving to Hillgrove because yada yada" and there's lots of new developments going in. I suspect all the predictions of population growth for Hillgrove are gross underestimates.

I don't like how Harrison is less diverse the other way (mostly white) and hope that changes over time the way Hillgrove has started to change, and I figure it will. It'll probably be at least a sizeable Asian population by the time she goes to it, and I figure more black than it is now simply because metro Atlanta is becoming more black, and many black people can afford to live in the Harrison district and nothing will stop them. So it'll become more diverse.

I've complained to Cobb Schools about the way school districts are broken up in West Cobb. Due to lawsuits from the mess Erhart created they can't fix it even if they wanted to, short of building a new high school so they have an excuse to change feeding and bussing patterns and what-not (which may happen anyway but I have to plan based on that not happening). Also, McEachern will probably eventually start becoming more diverse since it can't get more un-diverse than it currently is, however no idea of the timetable for that.

Another consideration I have is that with the HOT lane going in, I believe that the Harrison part of West Cobb will grow faster in value long-term for the same reason that Walton did in East Cobb. People just move to the "best schools". You guys all steer them there from City Data too lol.

So I guess in 5 years or so I'll be building a new house up near Harrison around Due West center and moving up there. For now, however, we're just getting her into the school there since we'll be moving out there some day anyway. Next, I'll probably acquire the land in advance.

Last edited by netdragon; 01-12-2016 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta