Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 07:33 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I have had some curry cooking neighbors that I'm not completely sure the smell is out of my clothes. Some of these things are the chances you take when not in a SFH.

I do not think you understood me because I didn't need an excuse. I have a pretty decent attention span, but there has never been a time that I did not mentally check out after a while during a lease signing. Now if I broke bad and cooked meth, then I'd say that's a situation that would need immediate resolution. I am also saying that if my mom smoked a cigarette and management decided to evict me then I'm fine with it. Mostly, I'm saying I don't care; I would pay what I need to pay and move on.
I meant no excuse for the tenant, not you. I just find it baffling that a tenant could go through the process of shopping and renting an apartment and never pick up on the fact that it's a smoke-free environment. I've even seen signs that announce such at the entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 07:33 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A big bugaboo with me. Smokers can be so clueless about their habits. I had a guy next to me in a parking lot flip his burning butt in my direction. It bounced off my boot. I shot him a nasty look and he looks back at me like, "What? What?".
I'm going to try to restrain myself against going off on the attitudes of smokers...

Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
I meant no excuse for the tenant, not you. I just find it baffling that a tenant could go through the process of shopping and renting an apartment and never pick up on the fact that it's a smoke-free environment. I've even seen signs that announce such at the entrance.

I was the tenant. My parents own a home in a different state. I'm saying regardless of the rules, I won't prevent her from smoking a cigarette during a visit.

It's kind of like when you're riding with someone who is driving over the speed limit. We're all clear what the rules are and that they are not being followed. If you get caught, then pay your ticket.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:33 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
I was the tenant. My parents own a home in a different state. I'm saying regardless of the rules, I won't prevent her from smoking a cigarette during a visit.

It's kind of like when you're riding with someone who is driving over the speed limit. We're all clear what the rules are and that they are not being followed. If you get caught, then pay your ticket.
I get it.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:

But if your neighbors are paying for a smoke-free environment, you're infringing upon their rights. It's a very detested smell for some people, not to mention the health hazards. If it were only one cigarette then you could take her for a drive but when your mom comes to visit it's not just "a cigarette" is it?

Sounds like another excuse which the landlord is no longer accepting. Choose your place of residence elsewhere.

But I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Your mom can come burn one at my house.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:15 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Quote:
My mother smokes and my parents visit a few times during the year. She definitely does not go outside or elsewhere to do it nor would I ask her to. So, yes I would sign a lease that asked banned it and just basically ignore that stipulation. I would just air it out, go buy some smoke eliminator spay or something from Lowe's, and worry about the rest later. I would feel like as long as I was paying rent on time, she didn't set the place on fire, and she did not smoke in a neighbor's apartment then stay out of it. I will resolve what if anything needs to be resolved at the end of the lease.

Now, it could be a thing that smokers sign up for a lease at a non-smoking apartment because they did not take the time to read the lease. After you get to initialing about 25 pages in, I think almost everybody stops reading the exact content.
My parents smoked. When they came to visit, they smoked outside, not in my house because they knew that it bothered me.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:35 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
I get it.

Great. Thanks for understanding what I was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
But if your neighbors are paying for a smoke-free environment, you're infringing upon their rights. It's a very detested smell for some people, not to mention the health hazards. If it were only one cigarette then you could take her for a drive but when your mom comes to visit it's not just "a cigarette" is it?

Sounds like another excuse which the landlord is no longer accepting. Choose your place of residence elsewhere.

But I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Your mom can come burn one at my house.
I understand what you're saying. It's an inconvenience and was not what the neighbors signed up for, but I put up with things I never signed up for as well. I will never forget the dog that would never stop barking. I offered to walk the dog until it got tired and then bring him back to their unt. A tired dog is a happy dog, but never in a million years would I have reported them to the landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
My parents smoked. When they came to visit, they smoked outside, not in my house because they knew that it bothered me.

As far as things concerning your neighbors go and not you, unless your parents smoked around the corner, don't you think smoking outside is worse? I find it better to at least try to contain the problem than set it loose on the entire community.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:55 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Quote:

As far as things concerning your neighbors go and not you, unless your parents smoked around the corner, don't you think smoking outside is worse? I find it better to at least try to contain the problem than set it loose on the entire community.
No. Smoking outside is much, much better than smoking inside where it can seep into other units.
There is no real way to "contain" the problem indoors. You can spray, and run air purification systems all day long, but nothing works better than keeping the smoke outside.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times
Quote:
Yes, l do need to ask. I'm not obtuse, yet l find such a statement rather vague and passive-aggressive. So indulge me and clarify it.
Maybe this is really the issue...?

By the way, if LD isn't obtuse then she must be acute

Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 PM

322 posts, read 465,241 times
Quote:
Yes, l do need to ask. I'm not obtuse, yet l find such a statement rather vague and passive-aggressive. So indulge me and clarify it.

Unless I'm the one who's obtuse, and the statement is actually vague and passive-aggressive, he's taking about another common substance that one smokes - not tobacco, not crack, or meth. Use your imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta