Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 17,589 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am looking for a little advice on moving to Atlanta from upstate NY.

I recently got a new job in Norcross and will be staying with some friends in Kennesaw until I find a place. This drive is going to be HELL, so I would like to move a bit closer. I am also 26 and single and hoping to have some fun on the weekends! I really like the Virginia Highlands. How safe is that area? Does is get bad only a few streets off the beaten path? Would the drive to Norcross be any better? I like midtown a lot as well, but apartments seem a bit high (although some are okay). I really would just like to meet some new friends and have the ability to occassionally walk down the street to a bar and grab some food. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
In response to the question regarding safety of VaHi and if the steets are bad just off the beaten path...in a word, no. VaHi is as safe as any city neighborhood can get. It's fairly affluent. Now, it's still the city so you can't forget that - but that's probably not a foreign concept to you.

Check out this map: Google Maps

I didn't highlight the neighborhood to the "right" of VaHi on the map but it's Druid Hills, which is an older and even wealthier neighborhood - more formal.

A few years back when I worked in Duluth, not far from Norcross, I worked with a guy who live in VaHi and commuted to work. He always said it was smooth going since he was going against traffic. So, as someone who lives in Candler Park (a little southeast of VaHi on that map) I say go for it!

VaHi is a fun place for someone like you (someone like me, too - 33, married with kids) if it's in your budget.

Welcome to Atlanta!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:49 PM

13 posts, read 43,792 times
Default Moving to Atlanta

Wow Kennesaw is pretty far from Norcross, so that will be hell for sure. I live in Virginia Highlands and imo it feels very safe to me. I personally wouldn't want to drive all the way to Norcross from here, but I hate to drive and like to stay in my little circle close to home, so that's just me.

I think Midtown you will find cheaper apts than here in Va Highlands. If you are wanting to just walk down the street to a bar or something, Midtown is definitely a better bet than Va Highlands, too. Since you are young and single, I think living in Midtown you would be happier than the Highlands or out in the suburbs near Norcross.
This is all just my opinion. I am in my 30's and single and wanting to move to Midtown, too.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike77 View Post
Hi all! I am looking for a little advice on moving to Atlanta from upstate NY.

I recently got a new job in Norcross and will be staying with some friends in Kennesaw until I find a place. This drive is going to be HELL, so I would like to move a bit closer. I am also 26 and single and hoping to have some fun on the weekends! I really like the Virginia Highlands. How safe is that area? Does is get bad only a few streets off the beaten path? Would the drive to Norcross be any better? I like midtown a lot as well, but apartments seem a bit high (although some are okay). I really would just like to meet some new friends and have the ability to occassionally walk down the street to a bar and grab some food. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Either ViHi or Midtown are great and easy comute up the 85. You should also take a look at Brookhaven and Chamblee as there are a lot of bars and nightlife and its in between Midtown and Norcross.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,737 times
If your job is in norcross - make it down south close to the city quick! That Kennesaw to Norcross commute is 50 minutes to 2 hours each way depending on who smashes their car that morning/evening and sometimes both times!

I lived in midtown for 3 years and drove to Norcross - holcomb bridge and holcomb bridge - for those in the know. 24 minutes there, 30 on the way back to midtown. 45 during baseball season if the braves are playing - always 1 hour on Friday and if it's raining. You could live up in Ansley where a few of my friends used to, and do the same commute - or further up on Druid Hills and still be close to midtown. Somewhere in between is ideal - depends on how much the commute can wear on you - I hate driving.

VJ

Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Emory area is also worth checking out and it's a bit further up on 85 so your commute will be shorter. A few people I know live in Calibre Woods and like it too...that's in Toco Hills so not walkable to Emory but close enough.
Couple of events going on that are great for newcomers to get a taste of the city:
Making It in the City LIVE Atlanta (Friday, March 28th at the Woodruff) - specifically for newcomers (Making It In The City, Dream Big. Pay The Rent.)
and Dogwood Festival (1st weekend in April) now at Lenox (Taste of Atlanta: The Food Lover's Food Event - October 13 & 14 2007).
Both are excellent events to find out what's going on in Atlanta, meet some new people, look for apartments and have fun!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 17,589 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! All those other areas look nice. It's good to see some many neighborhoods close together. I've said with a friend in the past for a few days in ViHi and I really liked the bars/restaurants around there. Do those other areas nearby have similar settings?

They drive seems okay from that area. I'm currenly driving about 40 minutes each way here in NY, so anything less than that sounds good to me! With the drive from Kennesaw to Norcross being 45 minutes without traffic, Im planning on at least 1.5 hours each way. UGH! Any idea how early I have to leave to avoid some of the traffic? 6:30am? Also, I've taken 75 and 285 in the past to get there. Does anyone know of a possible quicker route?

Thanks again!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:09 AM

Yeah, the neighborhoods all have their own little vibe but in similar veins. Some are little younger (Midtown), some more family oriented (Candler Park), some more posh (VaHi) - but they all have a lot of stuff to offer everyone. And the drive is similar between all. If you live close to Freedom Parkway then it's easy and fast to get on I-85.

I used to make the commute from the Mall of GA way up I-85 all the way to Emory/CDC and that was 1.5 hour during regular traffic hours. If I left before 7 then the drive was more like 50 minutes. So, until you move I'd advise an earlier commute to same time.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 36,003 times
I live in Decatur, Toco Hills area, btw N.Druid HIlls and Clairmont, I can walk accross the street to the Pub, and have drinks and dinner and walk home, but for you to go to Norcross, it's not that bad, you can take 85 north in the morning, and and south at night, you will be going against traffic, it would take ya about, maybe 15-20 minutes to get to work. If you look around, a bit. There are several complexs, in our area that are affordable, or get a roommate. Oh and it's like 15 minutes to midtown, driving, or 10 matters how ya drive. Williamsburg is a complex behind the BP station, at N. Druid Hills and Clairmont, nice apartments, for around a 1000. a month., I know it's expensive, comparing to upstate NY.

Good luck,

Drew

Old 02-07-2008, 11:20 AM

AJ, are you talking about Famous! I like that place. I know other people trash it but I think it has a decent pub menu and enough big screens for games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta