Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:07 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times

Advertisements

[quote=cqholt;42778529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

That does not change the fact that the kids are more likely to be hurt or killed in a personal vehicle car crash. Buses are tanks, they have fallen off freeway overpasses and majority have survived. They sit a lot higher than personal vehicles, and the seats create almost like a roll cage around the students.
Yes. And I have had 1/6th the traffic violations my husband has, yet he perceives my driving as less safe than him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 10:09 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
[quote=cqholt;42778529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

That does not change the fact that the kids are more likely to be hurt or killed in a personal vehicle car crash. Buses are tanks, they have fallen off freeway overpasses and majority have survived. They sit a lot higher than personal vehicles, and the seats create almost like a roll cage around the students.
Yes, and your point is?
I have 1/6th the traffic violations of my husband yet he perceives my driving as less safe than his driving. Perception is what it is.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:56 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Arjay must've bought stock in a moped/scooter company!

Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
[quote=wasel;42777386]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

Nothing, except that in DeKalb, many buses have been overcrowded with kids having to stand. I don't think parents like that. Parents also don't like the fact that the school buses don't have seatbelts.

DeKalb doesn't offer bus service if your address is within a one mile walking route. So in inclement weather parents feel compelled to drive their kids to school.

Also, many of the kids I know don't come straight home from school. They attend gymnastics, or soccer or other activities that require transportation to some other place. The parents have a well coordinated system of carpools to juggle all this.

Life can't be fit into neat "you should do this" boxes.
Good comments. I will never understand why school buses do not have seat belts. It is asinine in my humble opinion.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:00 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Arjay must've bought stock in a moped/scooter company!
He's crafty that way! :-)

Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No transportation option is the perfect magic bullet.

I'm just saying the scooter merits a lot more attention and support that it's been getting.

A very nice modern scooter can be had for $1,000, and probably considerably less if mass buying power was used.

Even at that price, the city could spend $50 million -- half the cost of the streetcar -- and put 50,000 scooters on the street within a few weeks. That's probably one for every millennial in town.

Can you imagine 50,000 young folks buzzing around on these cool little critters and how much pressure that would immediately take off our traffic?

Scooters are valid transportation options for millions of people and if they choice they go and buy them. But unlike the streetcar, scooters are not an economic development tool.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No transportation option is the perfect magic bullet.

I'm just saying the scooter merits a lot more attention and support that it's been getting.

A very nice modern scooter can be had for $1,000, and probably considerably less if mass buying power was used.

Even at that price, the city could spend $50 million -- half the cost of the streetcar -- and put 50,000 scooters on the street within a few weeks. That's probably one for every millennial in town.

Can you imagine 50,000 young folks buzzing around on these cool little critters and how much pressure that would immediately take off our traffic?
i think you've got a really good point and you guys shouldn't be quick to dismiss him. while this wouldn't be a good option in very urban or very suburban areas, it would fit a lot of the mid-density historic intown neighbourhoods very well. we should have streets and roads that people feel safe enough to drive on in smaller vehicles like this; all of our roads are one-size fits all, built to accommodate the largest of vehicles at the fastest of speeds.

if you look at older parkways in town that haven't been upgraded, they are built for slower speeds and smaller vehicles. check out this entrance ramp to norman berry drive in east point:

designs like this could add mixed-use paths to the sides of the road for non-motorized vehicles, but imagine how much safer, more efficient, and pleasant it would be for motorcycles, scooters, and small cars.

the problem is that the various departments of transportation have road standards that are too high. this is an issue that isn't being talked about.
Attached Thumbnails
i don't understand anti-transit people specifically in atlanta-normanberry.png  

Old 01-27-2016, 05:36 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
There are electric scooters and electric assist bicycles out there too. Definitely a way to cut emissions, traffic, and parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta