Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:22 PM
bu2

23,954 posts, read 14,756,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkKnight View Post
Hello everyone. I don't currently live in ATL, but considering relocating there. I know that everyone complains about traffic. I was wondering outside of the normal rush hour times, how much does traffic really discourage you from participating in activities. With young kids, I know I'll be trekking around the area with whatever they are involved in, but of course I have my own life and I need to get out and participate in my interests. Is it just one of these things that you sort of get used to or would you participate in more if it weren't for the traffic.
Depends partly on where you live and where you work. We live in Central DeKalb.

I know that it changed what we did after we moved here from Houston. I make much more of an effort to combine trips. We don't go very far on Friday nights to dinner because the traffic continues well past 7. With the hospital, university and CDC, the rush hour is pretty extended in our area. It doesn't end until about 9:30 and starts up about 2:30 or 3. I know of a church that quit doing some meetings on Wednesday night that had traditionally been that night because of traffic.

Not so much of an impact on weekends, but we allow extra time because its not uncommon to get caught in some delays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 05:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,255,040 times
I can't remember living in another place that had the traffic report 24/7. Oahu is supposed to have the worst traffic, or is it LA. I've driven in both places and Atlanta is right up there with them.

I lived in Gwinnett for a year and a half and traveled around the area for work. When I want south, it was no trouble. I went to Forest Park, East Point, and Decatur, right off the loop. BUT when I went north to Marietta - it totally sucked.

I agree, try to move close to work if possible.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:43 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,809,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I can't remember living in another place that had the traffic report 24/7. Oahu is supposed to have the worst traffic, or is it LA. I've driven in both places and Atlanta is right up there with them.

I lived in Gwinnett for a year and a half and traveled around the area for work. When I want south, it was no trouble. I went to Forest Park, East Point, and Decatur, right off the loop. BUT when I went north to Marietta - it totally sucked.

I agree, try to move close to work if possible.

From some report, it is supposed to be someplace in Hawaii that has the worst traffic so I guess it must be Oahu. Doesn't look like it from watching Hawaii Five 0 so that must be on a different island.

I'm jumping on the move close work if possible bandwagon.

OP, depending on where you live, the rush hours vary, but keep in mind that you could be looking at 7 am to 9:30 am, 11:30 am to 2:00 pm, and 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm. It can even extend longer in he evening or the morning - it just depends. If you have things you'd like to do during the day, you'd like to do during the day (not morning or evening), then you need to try to miss the lunch crowd as well.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:30 AM

6,387 posts, read 11,922,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkKnight View Post
How about those of you who live OTP and not fortunate to live close to a MARTA station?
Even then, there's ways around it. When I visit my parent's house in Marietta, what I do is drive to the nearest MARTA station which is Sandy Springs via Paper Mill Rd and Johnson Ferry. It takes about 15-20 minutes. If I lived in Gwinett, I could drive to the Doraville Station.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:43 PM

580 posts, read 1,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Folks tend to dramatize traffic issues around here. It can be a pain, sure, at times. But it's not life altering as some may imply.
Well said. I can count on one hand the number of traffics jams I've been caught in on a monthly basis. Being that I know how to maneuver around the city using back roads also comes in handy.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:49 PM

4,766 posts, read 5,414,912 times
I try to start work at 6:30 so I can leave at 3pm from Sandy Springs. All because traffic outside the perimeter after 7am and 4pm is horrible. Thank God for Waze app! I shouldn't have to plan my work schedule because of traffic, but its a habit now.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 01-24-2016 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta