Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:01 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,113,836 times

Advertisements

Rental prices are up everywhere because the recession and housing collapse shifted a lot more people to the rental market. Supply hasn't been able to keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 04:11 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,386,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Rental prices are up everywhere because the recession and housing collapse shifted a lot more people to the rental market. Supply hasn't been able to keep up.
Nope...rental is up here more so than most other places in the region by far. Our prices for rent here are now on par with Sandy Springs and that was never the case...and i've been in the area for 10 years. Look at the prices of homes and rentals within a 5 mile radius of where that stadium is being built. Rent here has gone up 200 bucks in 2 years. The price of everything is going up in Smyrna, trust me, I get to see it firsthand.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:17 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,113,836 times
The change in dynamics of home owners to renters because of the housing collapse and recession is well documented. There isn't a rush to live next to stadium traffic. Granted a few die hards might want to live close, but couple existing rental shortage with Atlanta's in migration growth and yeah prices are high.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:00 PM

18 posts, read 33,672 times
I am curious about what is going to happen with the City of Smyrna as a whole. To me, Smyrna is the last "in town" (just outside of I-285) city that is relatively underdeveloped. I imagine the growth Decatur saw was because of its easy of access to downtown Atlanta. However, downtown Atlanta seems like it is dwindling for employers choice in locations and even weekend leisure trips. The empty, bankrupt former Bank of America building is an excellent example. Along with the blight and homelessness downtown Atlanta. With growth seemingly moving to Buckhead, Smyrna has an excellent location.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:06 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,816,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialSan View Post
I imagine the growth Decatur saw was because of its easy of access to downtown Atlanta.
Decatur's popularity and growth has as much to do with proximity to the Emory/CDC area as it does downtown.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:52 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,184,638 times
Plays in my head every time I see this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud****TjWyQ

Sorry, continue.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:20 AM

147 posts, read 214,682 times
My husband and I have checked out this community multiple times. The thing that is holding us back is how the close the homes are and they lack a back yard. It seems that all the new developments eliminate a back yard which is important for us....I thought by coming down south more people would have homes with a decent backyard but it seems even the single family homes have town home size back yards. I guess we will have to stick to 30080 for a yard.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:39 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,386,871 times
Yea unfortunately it's all about capitalizing on getting as many houses in one development as possible these days when it's not deep in the burbs. Most of the newer developments around here are like that.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:00 AM

147 posts, read 214,682 times
@brownhornet I am starting to realize that. Its a bit disappointing. We would have given Smyrna Grove real consideration if the houses weren't so close together and/or if they at least had a backyard my dog could run around in. They do have a dog park and playground on site, but I want my kids and dog to be able to play in my own backyard. I don't know why developers don't understand that need.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,302,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
@brownhornet I am starting to realize that. Its a bit disappointing. We would have given Smyrna Grove real consideration if the houses weren't so close together and/or if they at least had a backyard my dog could run around in. They do have a dog park and playground on site, but I want my kids and dog to be able to play in my own backyard. I don't know why developers don't understand that need.
Of course they understand that you and others may WANT those features, but they're going to make you pay for them. The area is very much in demand, and consequently land is relatively expensive. If they've figured out that they can successfully market homes on smaller lots, that's what they're going to do. You can be sure that they're not going to give people larger lots without charging extra for them.

At the same time, some people don't want the fuss of dealing with a private back yard, but do want a large, single family home with some outdoor space in the form of a large covered front porch with a small but very well landscaped front yard, a sizeable back deck, etc. (I happen to be one of them, and if you saw my lot, you'd think that the Smyrna Grove lots were huge - yet homes in our neighborhood are even more expensive, demonstrating that there's significant demand for that kind of living in certain areas.)

At the end of the day, if the developer is smart and has done good research, they're going to build what will sell and best maximize their profits.

As for other options in 30080, I see dozens of homes in the area that would likely meet many of your criteria. Here's one: https://www.redfin.com/GA/Smyrna/321.../home/25304593

Here's another : https://www.redfin.com/GA/Smyrna/905.../home/25435685

Options abound, but you're certainly going to have to compromise on certain things.

Last edited by evannole; 04-27-2017 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta