U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:59 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,809,748 times

Advertisements

Well at least their team can get to the Superbowl....BOOM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,965,064 times
Quote:
You guys take yourselves WAY too seriously.
Nope, on the contrary, I've been pointing out people here to take things too seriously, create straw men and are otherwise being insecure and irrational.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:11 AM

7,899 posts, read 12,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I won't knock the Metro. Its one of the better rail systems in the country. But yes, their traffic situation is horrendous.
Oh, yeah, totally. I wish we had the same setup, but the idea that if trains are in the burbs that it fixes traffic is ridiculous. It's not true anywhere in the country. In fact, in my experience, it's only true in Japan.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,653,903 times
I'm reminded of the quote "You can recognize a pioneer by the arrows in their backs". Atlanta may not have gotten everything right but its not finished either.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:45 AM

29,710 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I think it is only natural to look to your neighboring cities and attempt to duplicate their successes as well as avoid their mistakes. I don't see this so much as a criticism as I do an educational article. Let's don't be so sensitive. I do hope that Charlotte can learn from Atlanta's and other cities' mistakes.
Agreed. Sometimes cities like Charlotte and Nashville go overboard in the whole "we don't want to be like Atlanta" thing as 1) they've already made several of the same mistakes and 2) the implication is that Atlanta has done everything wrong, which couldn't be further from the truth; Atlanta has been a pioneer in getting some stuff right as well. However, even though this piece was somewhat sensational, there are indeed some key areas where Charlotte can do better than Atlanta. Even though NC has taken a hard right turn in recent years, it still contributes to local mass transit funding and doesn't have a heavily anti-urban history. And metro Charlotte isn't nearly as balkanized as metro Atlanta which makes implementing regional transit initiatives an easier uphill climb.

No comments about water?

Old 01-27-2016, 12:09 PM

4,368 posts, read 3,530,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Have you completely lost your mind or never driven here?

Now, I don't find any part of traffic in Atlanta proper that bad. It's like boo hoo, you're not really having a problem. However, I would challenge any place to compete with the disaster that Gwinnett and Cobb are typically. In case I was not clear, I'm saying there are problems in those areas on a regular basis. Short of someone stuck in traffic since Christmas in these other cities in the report, then I'm going to have to call the report bogus.
I've commuted on 75, 400, 85 and 285. It's bad, but all the metro rankings show Atlanta isn't any worse off than places similarly sized like Houston or DFW. Atlanta traffic worse than Charlotte but we also have a few million more people on the road. Certain stretches like 285 can compete for worst stretch with many other places but overall as a metro area we're doing pretty good considering our size.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:18 PM

23,247 posts, read 17,451,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I've commuted on 75, 400, 85 and 285. It's bad, but all the metro rankings show Atlanta isn't any worse off than places similarly sized like Houston or DFW. Atlanta traffic worse than Charlotte but we also have a few million more people on the road. Certain stretches like 285 can compete for worst stretch with many other places but overall as a metro area we're doing pretty good considering our size.
We also have a transit network that takes nearly 500K people off the roads.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM

13,456 posts, read 21,935,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Here's a newsflash: nobody limits the name Atlanta to Atlanta city limits. To anybody outside the area, whether you live in Peachtree City, midtown, or Grayson, you live in ATLANTA. Accept it.

This. Amen.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,699,167 times
Quote:
And...

I'm getting really sick of this sentiment. As much as we complain about balkanization ruining the area, you get comments like this. Here's a newsflash: nobody limits the name Atlanta to Atlanta city limits. To anybody outside the area, whether you live in Peachtree City, midtown, or Grayson, you live in ATLANTA. Accept it.
Okay, which is why leadership and the public at large in these suburban areas need to pull their heads out of their asses and get on board with Atlanta. Hard to blame the city for the balkanization and fragmentation that occurred the past 50 years.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:44 PM
bu2

9,898 posts, read 6,375,461 times
Quote:
Yeah, there's no comparison, Atlanta is thriving more than Charlotte.

However....

I believe this is true, but I'd like to see the data that backs up the claim.

Using this board as a barometer with all of the "traffic isn't really that bad" sentiment, I think we are dangerously burying our heads in the sand about a problem that will come to roost in the next few years when we actually lose business deals because of it. It can only go so far before executives just don't want to deal with it.
You hear it regularly from business leaders.

People on this board ignore that. They are quick to point out when somebody in Cumberland Galleria says not having rail has hurt their ability to get investment.

Both are true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta