Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,720,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Family, and even then it's a pretty boring trip outside of their houses. Everything is so pristine and lacking in culture. Architecture is boring and there's no way to get around except for a car and a very lacking light rail line.
LRT can never compare to the speed and capacity of HRT. Atlanta was ahead of the game, when MARTA was built in the 70's. Now cities like LA, Houston, Dallas, Portland, Denver, Charlotte, St. Louis, Phoenix, Seattle, etc. are trying to create their own rail network, but using a cheaper mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 10:31 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,816,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yeah, there's no comparison, Atlanta is thriving more than Charlotte.

However....

I believe this is true, but I'd like to see the data that backs up the claim.

Using this board as a barometer with all of the "traffic isn't really that bad" sentiment, I think we are dangerously burying our heads in the sand about a problem that will come to roost in the next few years when we actually lose business deals because of it. It can only go so far before executives just don't want to deal with it.

Executives will put up with a lot if the pot is sweetened. Privately, traffic is probably fairly low on the list of considerations for corporate relocations.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:36 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,801,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
They think opening up their recent light rail line all of a sudden makes them better than Atlanta.
That and ... CAM NEWTON IS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL! (Notice I didn't say the Panthers are going. This is a one-man ego trip just like it was when Auburn won the BCS.)

Old 01-27-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And yet it built 67 mile bypass, instead of investing in transit, that will one day be engulfed by it's suburban sprawl.
Much of the eastern 1/3 of the Charlotte loop / beltway / perimeter ( whatever they call it ) passes through piney woods and cow pastures. They got a long way to go.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:51 AM

He also left out this one:

4) Elect a rabidly far-right conservative Governor and state legislature so emboldened to their Tea Party constituents that they eliminate all tax incentives for the film and television industry, bringing production in North Carolina to a halt and forcing hundreds if not thousands of people to move to Georgia to find work.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,798,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Not saying we don't need more MARTA but our traffic isn't that bad. Everyone once in a while someone will post a link showing our traffic isn't even top 10 despite being a top 10 metro in population. It's no worse than other metros of similar or larger size

Have you completely lost your mind or never driven here?

Now, I don't find any part of traffic in Atlanta proper that bad. It's like boo hoo, you're not really having a problem. However, I would challenge any place to compete with the disaster that Gwinnett and Cobb are typically. In case I was not clear, I'm saying there are problems in those areas on a regular basis. Short of someone stuck in traffic since Christmas in these other cities in the report, then I'm going to have to call the report bogus.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:25 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,113,434 times
Quote:
And yet it built 67 mile bypass, instead of investing in transit, that will one day be engulfed by it's suburban sprawl.
That's a Federal Interstate bypass and a project started decades ago.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:27 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,113,434 times
Quote:
That and ... CAM NEWTON IS GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL! (Notice I didn't say the Panthers are going. This is a one-man ego trip just like it was when Auburn won the BCS.
The insecurity on the Atlanta forum is off the charts.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:36 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,083,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Yeah, I felt that was kind of pathetic. Who brings sports into a thread talking about cities and their infrastructure? That's legitimate insecurities.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yeah, I felt that was kind of pathetic. Who brings sports into a thread talking about cities and their infrastructure? That's legitimate insecurities.
You guys take yourselves WAY too seriously.

Do you really think I give a rats ass that Charlotte is going to the Super Bowl? Give me a break ... it was a joke!

But yes, I do despise Cam Newton. But that has nothing to do with Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta