Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:04 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times

Advertisements

@residinghere2007

Racist, small-minded poster Patriot777 resurrects this thread to basically announce how white people are better than black people, because of the statistics and whatever his prejudiced perceptions. Then my only point in the mix of posts was to say that there are some issues in my opinion in the black community, but that also in my opinion it isn't black people's fault. (Something that even President Obama has said.) Then the very first thing you do is call me a racist? I'm not a racist.

You then state that I said that black culture is inferior to white culture. Definitely not what I said. Then you start proceeding to unnecessarily be the biggest insulting, condescending, pretentious pile of d-bag that I've ever seen in my life. Talking about how you need to "educate" me and I know absolutely nothing. First of all, you know absolutely nothing about me, or what I might happen to know.

Then you respond starting with "LOL" to mcwali2009's post, like you're 10 years old. Are you? Let me ask you, are you a brat on the school bus, or are you an adult, capable of writing like one? Try communicating with some class and respect, at least with the non-racists here.

If you just want to be a child, or a bully, or an intellectual simpleton who's only capable of uttering "LOL, you know more about black culture than me (who is black and raised in a black family and who "lives" black culture)....uh huh. You and your "black friends" keep kidding yourself.", then I'm going to respond right back in kind, at that low level. I know you are! But what am I? (Thus my post.)

Then you randomly insult me again, with "You don't even seem to know what culture is at all." Again, you don't know a damn thing about me. But, I can say that I've at least been around the block long enough to know that people who talk down to people like that, know next to nothing and either just enjoy being a troll, or are just venting their inner anger on the web. I guess. In any event, personal attacking is against the forum rules, and I've no interest in going back and forth in this manner. If you want to discuss something with me, don't start by insulting me.

Perhaps some of our disagreement about culture could come down to semantics, and our definition and how we are using the term 'culture'. But I'm talking about the problems in the black community, a demographic that I don't believe should be immune to criticism, nor should we label every single person who has anything negative to say, automatically racist.

mcwali2009 is black, and he made some points a few pages ago that I agree with. And yes, statistics do help show that there are problems. 0% of the problems of 'black culture' are black people's fault in any way. 100% of it is is because of historical racism that has led us to this point. But nevertheless, we are at this point in time, and there are problems that are clearly there. I mentioned things that I've personally perceived, or learned from the African American friends that I know in my life. Then you berated me for even suggesting the mere idea that black people aren't doing everything in life 100% perfect. I think that the black community needs to make improvements. Somehow you construed that into me saying that black culture is inferior to white culture. No, it definitely isn't. But the situations and circumstances are different in a way that lends to the status quo and realities at hand.

Because I love and respect black people, I refuse to not be tough on them and point out problems. Not every single one of those problems can be equated with racism or the white people mistreating the black people. For one example of many, black people in America commit acts of homicide at I believe something close to 10 times more than whites (I don't know the exact stats.) Yes, the cards are stacked against you because of racism, and the prison system is unfair, and all of that. But still, maybe don't murder people?

In any case, you don't deserve my attention or responses unless you're going to be respectful and we can have an honest discussion about this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
yes because we all know the center of black culture is non other than Vinings,Georgia Cobb County USA where you live.
Yeah, the fact that this particular neighborhood that I've resided in for a whole 2 months, is highly white, has clearly shaped me into an ITP white supremacist in a few short weeks. At least in the few free days where I didn't have to unpack boxes and put up shelves.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
@residinghere2007

Racist, small-minded poster Patriot777 resurrects this thread to basically announce how white people are better than black people, because of the statistics and whatever his prejudiced perceptions. Then my only point in the mix of posts was to say that there are some issues in my opinion in the black community, but that also in my opinion it isn't black people's fault. (Something that even President Obama has said.) Then the very first thing you do is call me a racist? I'm not a racist.

You then state that I said that black culture is inferior to white culture. Definitely not what I said. Then you start proceeding to unnecessarily be the biggest insulting, condescending, pretentious pile of d-bag that I've ever seen in my life. Talking about how you need to "educate" me and I know absolutely nothing. First of all, you know absolutely nothing about me, or what I might happen to know.

Then you respond starting with "LOL" to mcwali2009's post, like you're 10 years old. Are you? Let me ask you, are you a brat on the school bus, or are you an adult, capable of writing like one? Try communicating with some class and respect, at least with the non-racists here.

If you just want to be a child, or a bully, or an intellectual simpleton who's only capable of uttering "LOL, you know more about black culture than me (who is black and raised in a black family and who "lives" black culture)....uh huh. You and your "black friends" keep kidding yourself.", then I'm going to respond right back in kind, at that low level. I know you are! But what am I? (Thus my post.)

Then you randomly insult me again, with "You don't even seem to know what culture is at all." Again, you don't know a damn thing about me. But, I can say that I've at least been around the block long enough to know that people who talk down to people like that, know next to nothing and either just enjoy being a troll, or are just venting their inner anger on the web. I guess. In any event, personal attacking is against the forum rules, and I've no interest in going back and forth in this manner. If you want to discuss something with me, don't start by insulting me.

Perhaps some of our disagreement about culture could come down to semantics, and our definition and how we are using the term 'culture'. But I'm talking about the problems in the black community, a demographic that I don't believe should be immune to criticism, nor should we label every single person who has anything negative to say, automatically racist.

mcwali2009 is black, and he made some points a few pages ago that I agree with. And yes, statistics do help show that there are problems. 0% of the problems of 'black culture' are black people's fault in any way. 100% of it is is because of historical racism that has led us to this point. But nevertheless, we are at this point in time, and there are problems that are clearly there. I mentioned things that I've personally perceived, or learned from the African American friends that I know in my life. Then you berated me for even suggesting the mere idea that black people aren't doing everything in life 100% perfect. I think that the black community needs to make improvements. Somehow you construed that into me saying that black culture is inferior to white culture. No, it definitely isn't. But the situations and circumstances are different in a way that lends to the status quo and realities at hand.

Because I love and respect black people, I refuse to not be tough on them and point out problems. Not every single one of those problems can be equated with racism or the white people mistreating the black people. For one example of many, black people in America commit acts of homicide at I believe something close to 10 times more than whites (I don't know the exact stats.) Yes, the cards are stacked against you because of racism, and the prison system is unfair, and all of that. But still, maybe don't murder people?

In any case, you don't deserve my attention or responses unless you're going to be respectful and we can have an honest discussion about this topic.

Yeah, the fact that this particular neighborhood that I've resided in for a whole 2 months, is highly white, has clearly shaped me into an ITP white supremacist in a few short weeks. At least in the few free days where I didn't have to unpack boxes and put up shelves.
I have not been disrespectful to you. If you think I have been, you should stop being so sensitive. I never called you any names or disparaged you in any way. All I did was respond to this post of yours:

Quote:
Correlation is not causation, is exactly the right point. The major issues that the black community faces, have nothing to do with African genetics vs any other ancestry, and everything to do with environment, culture, whole set of circumstances.

I think you can legitimately criticize certain elements of black culture in a non-racist way, and without blaming black people. Saying stuff like "black people commit all the crime, so therefore white people are better" is asinine and counter-productive.
To the above I responded as below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

On "culture":

IMO, claiming that "black culture" is inferior to some other culture (i.e. "white culture) is asinine.

I am a black American. My "culture" is American culture first and foremost. Crime and violence are a part of general American life and culture and has been from the beginning and those characteristics are in no way related specifically to black Americans.

Most Americans (even black ones) IMO have no idea what "black culture" is in this country. For education's sake the below are some attributes of "black culture":

• Faith/Spirituality
  • Courage in the face of adversity
  • Close familial bonds/relationships
  • Creativity (art, music, literature, etc.)
  • Social activism/Willingness to speak up in the face of adversity
  • Determination
  • Dedication to communal/social uplift and activism
  • Educational aspirations/achievements (has ALWAYS been a goal/aim of the black populace in America in every century of the colonies and country)
I could go on and on.

Pray tell, primaltech, what do you consider the black cultural attributes that are in need of a critical dialogue amongst the black populace.

FWIW, I do feel there are some which are based in the above list. I am thinking that like most people, you are not actually speaking about cultural attributes and are basing your idea about what "black culture" is on media portrayals and statistics instead of actual cultural attributes. (Culture - the beliefs, behavior, and characteristics of a particular social, ethnic, or age group).

All of the above attributes can be applied to every black person in this country and especially so from an historical perspective of blacks in America. Many of the modern day's views of "black culture" have no base in history and are not characteristics that have been displayed by a majority of the black population over a wide period of time.
All of the bold/blue above are comments that were directed at you.

You then went off on a tangent about religion.

You then stated you know more about black culture than I do when I am a black person and was raised in a black family and have lived in predominantly black neighborhoods my entire life. I also am a pretty serious amateur student of black history and genealogy. So it is impossible that as a white person who cannot even name any cultural attributes of black Americans, that you could know more about black culture than I can.

Maybe you are a very young person and easily have hurt feelings. But I did not intend and still do not think that I "disrespected" you in any way.

You disrespected my entire culture, yet, I am not butt hurt about it.

I am fine with you being ignorant about black culture and I honestly don't care if you felt disrespected. My intent was to state what I did state - that most people don't know what black culture is who state that it needs to be criticized or is some "reason" for "black issues."

And in regards to mcwali poster, I LOLd at him/her because he/she doesn't know how to spell or capitalize or form a coherent sentence, yet he/she is disparaging black people. I'm black. I'm not a criminal. I'm educated. I know how to write a sentence. I also do not get my feelings hurt over random internet posts.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:38 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
All of y'all are crazy. APD will not fire their weapons in a public space unless their lives are in danger.
Dogs? Mace? Beat them like Rodney King? Just sayin'......

Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Chicken Little up in here, fact is since the peak in the 90's for crime that we have seen declines almost across the board since then. Even 2015 for the crimes most people complain about like robberies and burglaries, [we are approaching 50-60% of the peak crime from the 90's; Also rape may not be an accurate trend because the way it is reported changed recently]:
Tell that to the family that recently lost a family member to murder....small comfort....part of the reason that it's going down is the AGGRESSIVE policing and the continual arming of people.

What I would like to see is a chart of justifiable self-defense shootings and how many crimes/perp's it stopped? Never hear THAT statistic, do we?

Old 05-02-2016, 04:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
What I would like to see is a chart of justifiable self-defense shootings and how many crimes/perp's it stopped? Never hear THAT statistic, do we?
That would be an interesting statistic.

It seems that the US is unable to provide a rather large number of potentially interesting statistics when it comes to firearms, and I think it's a shame. I remember seeing it mentioned that the CDC would be a good federal organization to study gun violence ... stats related to firearm violence and mental illness, to social groups and/or trends, to geographical locations, and various other things would be illuminating I'm sure.

I personally know a score or so who carry, but I don't think any of them have discharged a weapon outside of a shooting range.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 PM

51 posts, read 45,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Tell that to the family that recently lost a family member to murder....small comfort....part of the reason that it's going down is the AGGRESSIVE policing and the continual arming of people.

Guns are an American right. If you don't like our freedoms please find another country to inhabit. Liberals want to disarm all the law abiding citizens of this country, and let the thugs and criminals be the only ones carrying. How does that make any sense??

Old 05-02-2016, 06:08 PM

51 posts, read 45,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Your comments belie that.
Conservatives are some of the most hard working and educated people in this country. Liberals tend to prefer college degrees in the arts.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:20 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I never called you any names or disparaged you in any way.
The very first thing you said to me was "As for the racists...", then you quoted me.

Quote:
You then stated you know more about black culture than I do when I am a black person and was raised in a black family and have lived in predominantly black neighborhoods my entire life.
By 'black culture', I just mean, I meant, the tendencies of Black Americans, in contrast to the other demographics. I'm not disparaging, I'm just saying there are clearly problems there. And I'm even willing to say most of that is 100% because of institutional racism and a matter of simple economic circumstances. But, I'm also not willing to entirely excuse or dismiss that there are self-perpetuating behaviors.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
The very first thing you said to me was "As for the racists...", then you quoted me.

By 'black culture', I just mean, I meant, the tendencies of Black Americans, in contrast to the other demographics. I'm not disparaging, I'm just saying there are clearly problems there. And I'm even willing to say most of that is 100% because of institutional racism and a matter of simple economic circumstances. But, I'm also not willing to entirely excuse or dismiss that there are self-perpetuating behaviors.
Tendencies and statistics are also not culture. One can always find something to contradict statistics or tendencies. Culture is pretty static and as stated, I am very learned and experienced in black culture.

I don't know how me saying I'm black and grew up in a black family and lived in predominantly black neighborhoods was disrespectful to you either, but I am/have experienced all of those things. I also am very studious on black history and genealogy (it is an obsessive hobby of mine and I have a blog about it and have even been a focus of media and conventions in regards to black history/genealogy because it is a passion of mine) so I know a lot about black culture and more even than most black people so if I were sensitive, I would have taken offense at your proclamation that you know more about it than I do.

However, I know that you don't so it doesn't offend me and I hope that me knowing that doesn't offend you. It just is what it is. And IMO it was pretty childish for you even to try to compare your "knowledge" of black people to mine when you are not black and are much more likely to buy into and believe media perceptions and stereotypes about black people than I am. I don't see black people as having a wide amount of "issues" relative to other demographics. All racial/ethnic demographics in America deal pretty much with the same issues. I adore black people and black culture because black culture to me is defined by the love of my family and my ancestor's determination and struggle and even their faith that things would get better. I take great strength and have great pride in my culture.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot777 View Post
How does denial help your cause in anyway? When members of your community realize there's a serious problem and try and rise above it, they are deemed "self-hating" or "racist" or "Uncle Toms". This country isn't keeping you down, you're keeping yourselves down by silencing the voices of change.
You dont know anything about that poster or me.So I guess I can assume much about who you are too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta