Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM

96 posts, read 95,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
If that's the case, then now I'm really PO'd that the police told me there was no way to find the license plate of the guy who pulled a gun on me. They wouldn't even look at the cameras because of what I said that they said about the cameras. Ugh.
Maybe the specific camera that would have captured the crime wasn't good enough? The cameras aren't uniform; the newer ones are better. There are also a ton of private/commercial cameras that the police can monitor through Operation Shield, and those may have varying image quality. Or, maybe they figured the car was probably stolen anyway, and finding the license plate wouldn't make a difference?

Also, I'm really sorry that happened to you. While crime is relatively rare, it's really traumatic and sucks when it happens to you. My house was broken into when I lived in Michigan, and it just changes how you feel about the safety of your own home and neighborhood.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:30 PM

986 posts, read 1,865,514 times
I live very close to this intersection, and walk around there all the time, day and night (though not by myself late at night). It's always a good reminder to be aware of your surroundings. Always keep your valuables put away and walk with a purpose.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:40 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,519 times
How did this story not make AJC?

Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
How did this story not make AJC?
Your question is the answer. Its the AJC.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Your question is the answer. Its the AJC.
AJC is anti midtown?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:53 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
What the heck is a YBM?

BTW, one of my co-worker's friends was mugged at gunpoint in the parking lot of the Variety Playhouse. It was pretty late at night, but since we've got people on this board advising people to walk from Star Bar to the Inman Park MARTA station on a Thursday night after a show, I think a little dose of reality around here is probably warranted.
Yeah, I know someone who got mugged a couple of months ago about midnight getting out of her car in Candler Park.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:56 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It is pretty brazen to do something like that on a busy street in the middle of the day. Not good and despite prior claims I don't believe people are doing this to put food on their family's table.
Well one did it in the Georgia Tech business building not that long ago in daytime.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:38 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
AJC is anti midtown?
Not really, but ever since they moved to Dunwoody a few years back they've been more focused on suburban issues to pander to dwindling readership.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It is pretty brazen to do something like that on a busy street in the middle of the day. Not good and despite prior claims I don't believe people are doing this to put food on their family's table.
Why not? Have you spoken to them, personally? You don't know what people are going through. I know in the past I've made this "claim", but I don't mean literally every single time it is to put food on their family's table. I know I have personally spoken with many teens who have stolen from others or prostituted themselves to literally put food on their family's table though, so it isn't unheard of. Regardless of the reason, people steal to make money. The rich and poor do this, although in very different ways (you know, embezzlement vs armed robbery). Almost always, a criminal in the streets is desperately poor, and needs to make money one way or the other to live. Is this always the case? No. The majority of poor people won't commit a crime. The majority of rich people won't commit a crime. Some people, rich and poor, commit crimes for other reasons (greed, drug dependency, etc.). But I would definitely argue that of those poor people committing crimes, it is because they NEED money and see no other options. They have no hope, for one reason or the other. Instead, they join gangs, they rob people on the street, they turn to drugs and alcohol. That is a societal problem. Give people hope, increase the minimum wage, provide good social safety nets, provide access to equal educational opportunity, among other things, and you will see crime decrease. Go away, no - never. But there will be a decrease.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 AM

280 posts, read 389,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Yeah, I know someone who got mugged a couple of months ago about midnight getting out of her car in Candler Park.
Crime happens everywhere. I know people who got mugged at the airport in a parking lot, on Peachtree Dunwoody just North of 285, and walking outside the Galleria in Cobb. These are isolated incidents and doesn't mean there is a crime problem in these locations. Just that everyone should have some care for their surroundings wherever they are. I walk in midtown at night at least several times a week and have never been a victim of a crime. Given the large number of people walking in midtown, there is obviously going to be more crime there than in locations with fewer people walking, but your risk as an individual is not very high.

The real concern for midtown should be that after years of declining crime there was a noticeable upswing last year. That is what the community meetings are about and what the police wants to address. The absolute crime rate remains fairly low, but we always want to be lower and need to keep working on reducing it. When we become complacent that is when crime rises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta