Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:25 PM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else on the app Nextdoor? I've seen a few crimes reported within the last 2 days, in the same area of Midtown.

2 days ago someone posted on there about getting robbed around 8:30pm by to guys (black, 23-28) at Penn & 8th who pulled up alongside a guy and claimed they were UBER. They asked "Were you the one that called an UBER?" and then proceeded to get out of their red Toyota sedan, held a gun to the guy's head, and stole wallet, phone and keys. Told him he would shoot him if he didn't give him his debit pin #, and after doing so, hit him to the ground. The guys cleared out the victim's checking account and attempted to cash a fraudulent check. Police report was made, but so far, no arrests.

Then yesterday, someone was mugged around 2pm (broad daylight) at the MARTA Midtown station by 2 young black guys, 18-20. They cornered him as he tried to get on the elevator, beat him up and stole his laptop, keys and wallet. A police report was made, but no arrests.

What is going on?!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Is anyone else on the app Nextdoor? I've seen a few crimes reported within the last 2 days, in the same area of Midtown.

2 days ago someone posted on there about getting robbed around 8:30pm by to guys (black, 23-28) at Penn & 8th who pulled up alongside a guy and claimed they were UBER. They asked "Were you the one that called an UBER?" and then proceeded to get out of their red Toyota sedan, held a gun to the guy's head, and stole wallet, phone and keys. Told him he would shoot him if he didn't give him his debit pin #, and after doing so, hit him to the ground. The guys cleared out the victim's checking account and attempted to cash a fraudulent check. Police report was made, but so far, no arrests.

Then yesterday, someone was mugged around 2pm (broad daylight) at the MARTA Midtown station by 2 young black guys, 18-20. They cornered him as he tried to get on the elevator, beat him up and stole his laptop, keys and wallet. A police report was made, but no arrests.

What is going on?!
We always see these spikes in crime. APD will increase patrols, make arrest, and the court system will start putting them away for a few years. Then crime will go back down. It's always a roller coaster of a crime wave.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
We always see these spikes in crime. APD will increase patrols, make arrest, and the court system will start putting them away for a few years. Then crime will go back down. It's always a roller coaster of a crime wave.
Good to know. I'm new to Atlanta, and live in Midtown (recently moved from LA, and before that, NY). Maybe I'm just keeping myself more aware of crime here by checking apps like Nextdoor daily, but it does seem like there's a lot of crime here.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:23 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Default Midtown violence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

^^ Bingo! ^^
Speaking in terms of my own 35 years in metro Atlanta, I've found that looking at things from a historical perspective gained by years of living experience in a given place may not be as sexy as quick reactions out of our gut based on screaming or frightening news headlines or short term trends but it's more likely to give a true reading of the facts.
Cqholt's response above was to something posted by a member out of LA. Distance doesn't necessarily breed familiarity or fact-based knowledge imho.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:29 AM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
Atlanta is a dangerous city, it is scary how these things happen in broad daylight in busy areas.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
Atlanta is a dangerous city, it is scary how these things happen in broad daylight in busy areas.
This scares me too. In "nice" areas, in broad daylight, in places where you'd think criminals would be afraid of being seen on camera and/or stopped by passers-by... But no.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
Quote:
This scares me too. In "nice" areas, in broad daylight, in places where you'd think criminals would be afraid of being seen on camera and/or stopped by passers-by... But no.
what worries me is that other's will see this and see it as competition, and also seeing they are getting away with it, will trigger more of these types of crimes as they get bolder and bolder.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,624 times
I feel safer in Midtown than I did in Norcross.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
That is fault of our bad education system and Fulton County Jail's revolving door. Kasim Reed is trying to stop that, by using Atlanta City Jail to house repeat offenders caught in the city.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:03 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Should run a few sting operations. Start with Marta stations at Mid-town, Peachtree center ave and five points....put some unsuspecting looking white guy with a expensive mac product, Galaxy6, thick bulge of a wallet and the look of "rob me".....probably won't take more than an hour or two.....have the cops ready because "filing a report" will do nothing but fill up a server somewhere....

It would be nice to see a few of them gunned down....in broad daylight....in a nice neighborhood....send them scurrying back to the West End or College Park....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta