U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,403,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
It's totally ridiculous, and short-sighted on the old guard Cobb-ster leadership. The days of isolation are over.
I have to agree with you there but im trying to be optimistic that they are opening up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 AM

3,512 posts, read 3,042,160 times
I wouldn't mind Cobb having their own bus branding if they would just expand it and allow MARTA rail. (Or at least let MARTA build the rail and they could run it) It could be like Toronto's Go Train with separate bus companies.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:48 AM

3,512 posts, read 3,042,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They wasted $300K on this rebrand. It is just new buses with a new paint job, same old CCT. They still do not have a live arrival app or ways for riders to load trips on a BreezeCard, except visiting the MTC between certain hours.
"The new buses will have on-board Wi-Fi and can provide real-time passenger information that will lead to the development of a mobile app. The app will be introduced later this year, according to the county."- AJC

Old 02-09-2016, 09:55 AM

6,301 posts, read 3,368,047 times
I don't know how much funding they get from property tax or however CCT is funded, but imagine what they could do with an actual 1% county sales tax for CCT, with no rail and all of the funds dedicated to a solid bus system, with BRT along 41.

Knowing Cobb (actual compliment this time), they would squeeze a lot of efficiency and service and value out of a 1% tax.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:52 AM

6,174 posts, read 5,493,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Cobb Community Transit Rebranding to Cobb LINC... What does it mean for Transit in the County??? Just a new LOOK or a Change in the Form of Transit as a Whole. Could this be a closer push towards Rail or even Marta or just another way for the County to distance itself with an Image of it's own.

Cobb buses getting a new look | www.ajc.com
Like other posters have stated, without significantly increased funding from better operating mechanisms and revenue streams, the only thing this rebranding of Cobb Community Transit to Cobb LINC is doing is 'rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic' that is currently public transportation in Cobb County.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Why can't we just have one unified MARTA system in all the counties? It's just so stupid that there is even a "transfer station" at all.
We can't have one unified MARTA system in more metro Atlanta counties outside of Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton because a then-even more politically, socially and culturally conservative and outer-suburban/exurban Cobb County opted out of the MARTA system back in the 1960's.

Not only did Cobb County vote down the 1% sales tax to fund MARTA operations in the county, but Cobb County also voted down the opportunity to hold a referendum to vote on the 1% sales tax that was voted on in the other 5 core metro Atlanta counties (Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton and Gwinnett) and originally approved in 2 of those 5 counties (Fulton and DeKalb).

At the time that Cobb County was originally proposed to be part of MARTA along with the 4 other core metro Atlanta counties, Cobb had a much smaller and much more homogenous population and much less development....With about 600,000 fewer residents, a population that was about 94% white and much less development (development patterns that were basically far-outer suburban to exurban in nature), Cobb County basically looked like Paulding County does today, only less diverse and much more politically, socially and culturally conservative.

The Cobb County of the 1960's and '70's was well-known to be an exurban/outer-suburban community that was a destination for white residents fleeing areas inside of the I-285 Perimeter that were beginning to be dominated by black residents as the 'white-flight' phenomenon kicked up in metro areas all over the nation (...ITP areas like the City of Atlanta, DeKalb County, etc).

With the exceptions of daily commutes to and from high-paying jobs and occasional sporting events inside the I-285 Perimeter, the overwhelmingly predominantly white, conservative and outer-suburban/exurban Cobb County of yesteryear basically did not want to be affiliated with or tied to the City of Atlanta in any way, shape or form....A hard-line political, social and cultural stance towards the predominantly black and liberal City of Atlanta that did not even begin to soften until the post-Olympic era.

Quote:
I mean it's not like Cobb has to worry about keeping those African-Americans out of their county anymore. You'd be hard-pressed to find 5 white people on any given day at Cumberland Mall.

They need some kind of park&ride shuttle bus transit station at the Galleria. At the very least.
That is an excellent point that the fears that transit will bring blacks and other minorities into the county are increasingly irrational....That's particularly with black residents now making up over 27% of the population Cobb County and minority residents as a whole now making up over 46% of the population of Cobb County (...3 decades ago, minorities only made up about 6% of Cobb County's population).

The demographic stats say that blacks and minorities are already in Cobb County in increasing abundance with most of them having moved into the county by way of private automobiles, not existing public buses and/or public trains that don't exist in Cobb.

But yet, even with an increasingly diverse and fast-growing population, there is still a strong (though weakening) strain of thought that says that introducing high-capacity transit into Cobb County will bring poor blacks and minorities into the legendarily traditionally overwhelmingly predominantly white and affluent suburban county.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:33 PM

23,198 posts, read 17,395,960 times
Quote:
I see you live in Vinings?

I am in the process of buying a condo in Vinings, so I am going to be living ITP, Atlanta address, just a tad outside the ATL city limits yet in an area not at all served by MARTA (or even CCT bus routes). Whereas my work is way up in Alpharetta, far outside the perimeter, and yet MARTA goes there every day.

I mean, how ridiculous is that? The county lines are so completely arbitrary. The whole thing is an inefficient, stupid, mess. And is especially a shame since we so desperately need transit options across this metro.
What is ridiculous is CCT does not have a route going along GA 120 to North Fulton or Perimeter Center.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:52 PM

6,301 posts, read 3,368,047 times
I was stupid because I just assumed that Vinings was served by CCT, being the innermost, ITP and most urban part of the county. But it's not. I think there's one part-time flex route with one or 2 stops along Cumberland Pkwy. There's nothing along Paces Ferry or Paces Mill roads. Just the transfer station stop, and the one MARTA stop at the BP at Paces Mill @ 41.

I will be able to walk to the transfer station from my new place, but it will be a pretty good hike. And that #12 bus is so slow and long that it's almost useless anyway. I might try it out once just to see. But transit in that area is a sad state.

Right off the top of my head I can see 2 easy things they could do to drastically improve the Cumberland transfer station.

#1. Park & Ride lot. Allow commuters to park at this lot during the day:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8787.../data=!3m1!1e3

#2. Have the #12 bus get on 75 at Akers Mill HOV ramp.

...instead of running all the way down 41 and Howell Mill as a slow local route. Have it be an express shuttle directly from the transfer station, to Midtown or Arts Center station, with no other stops. Then at least it would be somewhat usable.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know how much funding they get from property tax or however CCT is funded, but imagine what they could do with an actual 1% county sales tax for CCT, with no rail and all of the funds dedicated to a solid bus system, with BRT along 41.

Knowing Cobb (actual compliment this time), they would squeeze a lot of efficiency and service and value out of a 1% tax.
That's an excellent point that a 1% countywide sales tax would go a long way towards improving Cobb County's bus transit system.

Cobb County Commission Chairman Tim Lee has in the past floated the idea of holding a transit sales tax referendum to fund a proposed Bus Rapid Transit line along US 41 Cobb Parkway (...at the insistence of Cobb County's business community which wants improved and expanded transit service as a means of funding a long-proposed high-capacity transit line along US 41 Cobb Parkway).

Even though many Cobb voters remain staunchly opposed to the idea of increasing taxes to fund transit improvements out of opposition to both taxes and transit (especially the idea of taxes for transit), there are also many Cobb voters that are opposed to voting for a tax increase that they think will be used mostly (or all) to implement and operate one Bus Rapid Transit line along US 41 instead of improving bus service throughout the entire county.

Even though BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) may not necessarily have the capital and operating costs that rail transit may have, BRT still has costs that are higher than conventional bus service....Something that concerns an already tax and transit-averse conservative Cobb County electorate that worries that new sales tax revenues will be directed only at a new BRT line along Cobb Parkway and not at the rest of an inadequate Cobb County bus transit system.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM

23,198 posts, read 17,395,960 times
Quote:
I was stupid because I just assumed that Vinings was served by CCT, being the innermost, ITP and most urban part of the county. But it's not. I think there's one part-time flex route with one or 2 stops along Cumberland Pkwy. There's nothing along Paces Ferry or Paces Mill roads. Just the transfer station stop, and the one MARTA stop at the BP at Paces Mill @ 41.

I will be able to walk to the transfer station from my new place, but it will be a pretty good hike. And that #12 bus is so slow and long that it's almost useless anyway. I might try it out once just to see. But transit in that area is a sad state.

Right off the top of my head I can see 2 easy things they could do to drastically improve the Cumberland transfer station.

#1. Park & Ride lot. Allow commuters to park at this lot during the day:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8787.../data=!3m1!1e3

#2. Have the #12 bus get on 75 at Akers Mill HOV ramp.

...instead of running all the way down 41 and Howell Mill as a slow local route. Have it be an express shuttle directly from the transfer station, to Midtown or Arts Center station, with no other stops. Then at least it would be somewhat usable.
There has been talk of CCT 10 using the HOV ramps at Akers Mill and Northside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or