Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Chamblee has a ban on drive thrus. While it's a good thing, it did essentially cause a developer to turn down the heat on the Blee project and it has now stalled indefinitely. (Starbucks had wanted to be a tenant but only if they could put in a drive through which was denied.) While few are mourning the loss of a drive-thru Starbucks, we are now stuck with a center that is in disrepair and seems to stagnate for the time being.

Principles are good but they don't come without pain! It definitely requires patience.
Why should residents and city officials be pushed around by a corporation? Starbucks w/o drive thrus flourish in other developments; Edgewood Retail District has 3 Starbucks in stores, none have drive thrus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:54 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,466,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why should residents and city officials be pushed around by a corporation? Starbucks w/o drive thrus flourish in other developments; Edgewood Retail District has 3 Starbucks in stores, none have drive thrus.
Yep. There are 2 around here that don't have drive thrus that are always packed. Frankly, people would rather not have a starbucks at all in that space.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:55 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Chamblee has a ban on drive thrus. While it's a good thing, it did essentially cause a developer to turn down the heat on the Blee project and it has now stalled indefinitely. (Starbucks had wanted to be a tenant but only if they could put in a drive through which was denied.) While few are mourning the loss of a drive-thru Starbucks, we are now stuck with a center that is in disrepair and seems to stagnate for the time being.

Principles are good but they don't come without pain! It definitely requires patience.
Personally I am not a big fan of Starbucks drive thrus.

For one thing, it is miserable to get stuck in line behind some knucklehead who's got a complicated order and apparently has to have a lengthy conversation with the barista before saying what they want. Drive thrus should be for simple straight up orders only, not the half double decaff cinnamon latte crowd.

Number two, I once had a woman ahead of me put her car in reverse and back directly into me. Needless to say she was yakking on her cell phone and apparently didn't even realize what she'd done, so she simply sped off. Meanwhile I am trapped like a rat. I call 911 and when the cop gets there he acts like I'm making the whole thing up.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:15 AM

225 posts, read 277,707 times
The Chick-fil-a on Howell Mill jams up traffic during morning rush, with people waiting to turn into a full drive-thru line. Howell Mill is only two lanes at that point, and there is currently no way to solve the issue without preventing people from lining up for a drive-thru.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:35 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

For one thing, it is miserable to get stuck in line behind some knucklehead who's got a complicated order and apparently has to have a lengthy conversation with the barista before saying what they want. Drive thrus should be for simple straight up orders only, not the half double decaff cinnamon latte crowd.

Number two, I once had a woman ahead of me put her car in reverse and back directly into me. Needless to say she was yakking on her cell phone and apparently didn't even realize what she'd done, so she simply sped off. Meanwhile I am trapped like a rat. I call 911 and when the cop gets there he acts like I'm making the whole thing up.

All I have to say to that fiasco is:

Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
Did you read the article? The ultimate goal is to eliminate parking lots to force people out of their cars and decrease automobile congestion in urban areas.
Yes, I read the article. I drive a car. I even read the section about mothers having to unhook their children, haul them in the place for a couple of minutes, and rehook them again. All that's going to do is aggravate people; it's not going to make for more foot traffic. In the end, they still have to drive out but it's just going to take longer to do it.

I do not see the benefit to eliminating drive-thrus and producing anger from the inconvenience

If I want to walk, I'll march around my neighborhood or a park. I think I can drive thru and march around my neighborhood; I can multi-task but don't want to feel forced to do something that pretty much has a reward of nada/zero/zilch/nothing.

Seriously, somehow some way eliminating a drive-thru is going to lessen the number of cut throughs in parking lots? How are the people who parked going to get out?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:02 PM

524 posts, read 521,221 times
Quote:
Did you read the article? The ultimate goal is to eliminate parking lots to force people out of their cars and decrease automobile congestion in urban areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Yes, I read the article. I drive a car. I even read the section about mothers having to unhook their children, haul them in the place for a couple of minutes, and rehook them again. All that's going to do is aggravate people; it's not going to make for more foot traffic. In the end, they still have to drive out but it's just going to take longer to do it.

Seriously, somehow some way eliminating a drive-thru is going to lessen the number of cut throughs in parking lots? How are the people who parked going to get out?
You missed my point. I said the ultimate goal is to eliminate parking lots to force you out of your car. If there are no parking lots, foot traffic will increase and automobile congestion will decrease in urban areas.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:22 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
You missed my point. I said the ultimate goal is to eliminate parking lots to force you out of your car. If there are no parking lots, foot traffic will increase and automobile congestion will decrease in urban areas.
No. You'll have a bunch of pissed off folks. Eliminating parking is a ridiculous idea for now. Businesses will lose customers. You anti-car folks need to be patient and get a decent transit system built. You are otherwise shooting yourselves in the feet.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

You need a dash cam. I bought one back in December. Unfortunately it's been really cold up here and the suction cup won't stick.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:08 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
No, you cannot force people out of their cars no more than you can force people into them. That is ridiculously controlling.

Also, while I enjoy walking, I realize that everybody can't walk a country mile to run errands. I'm not all that fond of carrying bags myself. As an example though, under no circumstance would parents be able to do it. No parking lot would equal no business from them and they tend to spend a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta