Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 07:56 PM

21 posts, read 32,966 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for replies! My wife and I are moving from Cincinnati to Atlanta for a job I was offered. I will be working in norcross. We have no small children so schools aren't a concern. Looking for spot to buy a house with $500k budget. Prefer to have access to restaurants, nightlife, culture, while still minimizing my commute if at all possible. I've visited norcross and don't want to live there (see Ed industrial). Considering dunwoody, sandy springs, Brookhaven. I have a friend who recommends being near Roswell square (seems far out in the burbs, but I've never visited this area). We prefer a freestanding home with no shared walls (condos, town homes). Kind of nervous to make the move but everyone seems to love it down there. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Well, the areas you mentioned are the ones you should be looking at.

They all have alot of 'old' (older) homes, as well alot of newer, denser homes. So you might want to consider if older home vs new home is more of a priority and then search from there.

Roswell is not considered far in the burbs here.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:43 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
The areas you mentioned are fine for what you'd like, but Roswell to Norcross would probably be a longer commute only because it takes a while to get out of there to even start the drive. You might like it ok if you check out some houses
where Roswell and Norcross border, but I'm not sure about the prices.

Of places I would live, Gwinnett County is not at the top of my list, but I'm sure some cities like Lawrenceville may fit your requirements. As far as things go depending on where you're going in Norcross, Alpharetta would not be a bad idea either.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:42 AM

22 posts, read 20,972 times
As previously mentioned, the areas you named are probably the best fit for your requirements. Atlanta's main highways are mostly north to south, with a lack of east to west routes you are often stuck taking surface streets.

Roswell and Sandy Springs are both west of Norcross which could make a longer commute. Depending on where you work in Norcross, commuting from Roswell may be manageable by taking Holcomb Bridge/Jimmy Carter. This route would also work for southern parts of Alpharetta. Both would have many housing options in your price point, good local restaurants and are a short drive into the city for even more night life options. If you like fried chicken, check out Greenwoods in downtown Roswell.

Brookhaven is further south than the other options, but the commute could be shorter via I-85 or Peachtree Industrial Boulevard. Real estate in Brookhaven has shifted drastically the last few years. Historically Brookhaven had many older, small 2/1 homes that have been torn down for townhomes or McMansions. You would have difficulty finding what you want in that price range. Brookhaven has many dining and social activities and being located next to Buckhead greatly expands those options.

Dunwoody would also be a short commute to Norcross, likely via Peachtree Industrial. You would find many housing options in your price point. The Perimeter area on the westside of Dunwoody has many restaurants and is a short drive to Buckhead.

Buford Highway is well know for its international restaurant scene. You'll find top notch options for Indian, Pho, Dimsum, latin food, bakeries and so much more. Trying to pick just one place for dinner can be difficult! Both Dunwoody and Brookhaven are just a short drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta