Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:39 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,129,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think it just seemed that way to you.

People rarely drive fast on the residential streets. Maybe they were doing 30-35. 50? no way.

The bigger problem I see is that almost nobody actually stops at the stop signs.
Oh you'd be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Obviously you have not seen what Waze has done to our intown neighborhoods, by routing commuter traffic thru them to avoid congestion on the freeways.
Ugh. I hate that app. Using an app to report an accident probably just causes accidents.

Quote:
I've thought people speed on my street, but I've clocked them in my car. Nobody drives 50. Nobody drives 45. Almost nobody drives 40. Usually its 35 when you think they are going really fast and that's not common. And its probably your neighbors doing it.

I think the speed limits are too low on residential streets that are through streets and too high in school zones. Some school zones have 40 mph speed limits. I haven't seen any less than 25. Schools should be 20 and through streets should be 30. If you have it too low without a special reason, it gets ignored. And having a lower school speed limit grabs your attention to be more alert.
35-40 in a residential area, particularly where visibility is limited, is way too fast. Some neighborhoods have successfully lobbied for traffic calming measures, such as speed bumps and chicanes, to alleviate this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 06:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,753,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
One would think that with all this new technology around that traffic lights would be able to sense congestion (or traffic studies could at least figure out peak hours, volume, etc.) and lights would be programmed to operate accordingly. Can you imagine the congestion that would alleviate?

It's so tiresome to sit at a light forever, or where lights aren't synced and you get the inevitable traffic backup that waits for...nothing? This seems to be an easy, low-budget fix. No need for widening lanes or even throwing more money at transit. I support transit, but let's start with the low-hanging fruit.

City mayors and GDOT could easily partner up on this one, in my opinion.
The Renew Atlanta Bond has projects to address these concerns and improve the signals to use cameras (instead of loops) to detect traffic, sync signals to create better flow thru corridors, etc.
Project Transportation Categories Traffic Signals

Old 02-23-2016, 09:07 AM
bu2

23,907 posts, read 14,701,286 times
Quote:
The Renew Atlanta Bond has projects to address these concerns and improve the signals to use cameras (instead of loops) to detect traffic, sync signals to create better flow thru corridors, etc.
Its a huge problem throughout the Atlanta area with the possible exception of Sandy Springs. They, at least on Roswell Road during non-rush hour, have pretty good timing.

I can't name the number of intersections where you sit, unable to move, while traffic is stopped at the next light. Meanwhile, people in the other direction, could often go straight just fine if they didn't have a red while you were stopped at a green.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,753,815 times
Quote:
Its a huge problem throughout the Atlanta area with the possible exception of Sandy Springs. They, at least on Roswell Road during non-rush hour, have pretty good timing.

I can't name the number of intersections where you sit, unable to move, while traffic is stopped at the next light. Meanwhile, people in the other direction, could often go straight just fine if they didn't have a red while you were stopped at a green.
Roswell Rd is a state roadway, GDOT usually maintains the timing at their signals. Cobb County does a great job of maintaining traffic flow, using signal corridors.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:30 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,129,141 times
Quote:
This is long overdue. The effectiveness of traffic light algorithms can make or break the traffic flow of surface streets. Ex., Pill Hill, where the lights seem to be intentionally timed for creating the worst traffic jams possible.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:57 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This is long overdue. The effectiveness of traffic light algorithms can make or break the traffic flow of surface streets. Ex., Pill Hill, where the lights seem to be intentionally timed for creating the worst traffic jams possible.
Pretty much every intersection near I-85 in DeKalb County as well.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:02 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,803,223 times
Quote:
Roswell Rd is a state roadway, GDOT usually maintains the timing at their signals. Cobb County does a great job of maintaining traffic flow, using signal corridors.

Not a fan, but I will give Cobb County credit for the timing of the lights. The signals seem to be organized logistically as well as they could be given the traffic. One of the bigger problems seems to be too many subdivisions without a single step to make room for the additional traffic for residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I rarely am in that area, but I have to agree. Something is the matter with the timing. It's like you're looking with a blank stare and wondering, when you finally get to the light, why is this taking so long?

The reason I don't think the traffic ITP is worse than OTP is because at least in some areas they have officers trying to direct and make it better. They don't necessarily do the best job, but they are capable of standing out there making the best of the bad decisions. I doubt any cop would set foot in most of the intersections OTP because that would be like asking for sudden death.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:14 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Not a fan, but I will give Cobb County credit for the timing of the lights. The signals seem to be organized logistically as well as they could be given the traffic. One of the bigger problems seems to be too many subdivisions without a single step to make room for the additional traffic for residents.

I rarely am in that area, but I have to agree. Something is the matter with the timing. It's like you're looking with a blank stare and wondering, when you finally get to the light, why is this taking so long?

The reason I don't think the traffic ITP is worse than OTP is because at least in some areas they have officers trying to direct and make it better. They don't necessarily do the best job, but they are capable of standing out there making the best of the bad decisions. I doubt any cop would set foot in most of the intersections OTP because that would be like asking for sudden death.
I was downtown for the Peachtree Road Race packet pickup. Officers had taken over traffic signals. It was a total disaster. Same thing whenever they do that in Buckhead. I've never been anywhere where police consistently make such a mess of traffic when they get involved.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:03 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Looks like the city is getting on board with the Internet craze.

Quote:
The city of Atlanta this week announced a partnership with the social navigation app Waze to share information about real-time construction, crashes, road closures and slow-downs.

The data-sharing partnership is aimed at assisting the city reduce traffic congestion.

Information collected through Waze will allow municipal leaders to evaluate changing road conditions and respond accordingly.

More....Atlanta to swap traffic data with Waze navigation app | Spinning our Wheels

Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,669,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Looks like the city is getting on board with the Internet craze.
Sounds like a great plan. I'm kind curious if GDOT or ADOT or FDOT use any of Google's real-time traffic data for their work, or if they have their own tracking / congestion monitoring systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta