Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 02:43 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,753,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Once again, the car.

As in, the individual who owns it is sharing use of their car with me.

Pretty simple concept.
Aren't the taxi and limo services sharing their car too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 02:44 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Once again, the car.

As in, the individual who owns it is sharing use of their car with me.

Pretty simple concept.
They're charging you a fee (which pays them a profit) to give you a ride.

How is that different from a regular taxi charging a fee to give you a ride?

Old 05-05-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They're charging you a fee (which pays them a profit) to give you a ride.

How is that different from a regular taxi charging a fee to give you a ride?
Cool people don't use taxis.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:01 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,199,686 times
It's not a corporate fleet. That's the difference. It's just some regular person like you or I, and the car you ride in is their car.

The Uber app just connects me with someone and their car. And Uber handles the payment and reviewing system.

So in that sense, I think it qualifies as sharing. I don't think "ride-sharing" is a perfect fit of a label for what Uber is, but it isn't wrong.

"Ride-connecting" would be good.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
It's not a corporate fleet. That's the difference. It's just some regular person like you or I, and the car you ride in is their car.

The Uber app just connects me with someone and their car. And Uber handles the payment and reviewing system.

So in that sense, I think it qualifies as sharing. I don't think "ride-sharing" is a perfect fit of a label for what Uber is, but it isn't wrong.

"Ride-connecting" would be good.
Well, I hear what you're saying.

However, it's not as if Uber drivers are folks who just happen to be out driving and they say, "Hey, I'm heading primaltech's way, wonder if he would like to share my car?" They are actively employed (and paid) by Uber for the purpose of transporting passengers at fees designed to earn a profit.

As I've said earlier, I like the convenience of Uber for dispatch and payment but they're still basically a car for hire service.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,329,577 times
Quote:
That's where I have to strongly disagree with you. Yes it is in fact a new sharing culture, no Uber is not a traditional taxi at all, and yes it is an absolutely great thing, even game-changing for many people.

My favorite technological advancements of this decade have been Uber and Airbnb. Bar none.

Both have changed my life, actually. In a very positive way. In the form of much saved money, much saved stress, much added convenience, fewer worries about going out and having a few drinks, and also they've connected me to transit and to the urban parts of nice cities.

So, IMO the fawning is completely accurate, as is the media coverage. But some haters always gonna hate, I guess.
This is everything a taxi has done for decades, just without an app. The only difference is that you know the uber/lyft is going to actually show up, and probably be at least a somewhat clean car. But, the idea of a car picking you up and taking you somewhere is in no way revolutionary.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Well, I hear what you're saying.

However, it's not as if Uber drivers are folks who just happen to be out driving and they say, "Hey, I'm heading primaltech's way, wonder if he would like to share my car?" They are actively employed (and paid) by Uber for the purpose of transporting passengers at fees designed to earn a profit.

As I've said earlier, I like the convenience of Uber for dispatch and payment but they're still basically a car for hire service.
Well, I may have to back off. It looks like Uber really can be ride-sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahKhULmSWIo

Old 05-09-2017, 07:15 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,237,423 times
Mercedes Benz self-driving cars will be programmed to kill pedestrians rather than injure occupants of the car.

https://www.inverse.com/article/2220...ign=influencer

Old 05-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Mercedes Benz self-driving cars will be programmed to kill pedestrians rather than injure occupants of the car.

https://www.inverse.com/article/2220...ign=influencer
It's the durn Trolley problem again.

Trolley problem

Old 05-09-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
It's the durn Trolley problem again.

Trolley problem
Pull the lever, what is there to think about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta