Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:29 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,597 times

Advertisements

Development seems really accelerated in Cobb County right now - both commercial and residential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Development seems really accelerated in Cobb County right now - both commercial and residential.
Hopefully Cobb County will give their employees raises and increase the pay levels to be competitive with other local jurisdictions and retain their highly skilled, and qualified employees.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Who cares?
People who want to live closer to their jobs and not pay and arm/leg for rent.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:05 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I'm more worried about what that park will do to the rents. Rents are already going up for some apartment complexes nearby. Some businesses had to leave because of rising rent.

I worry about traffic. Metro Atlanta already has a crappy transportation infrastructure considering 6 million people live here. The Cumberland area is already a nightmare at rush hour. Imagine how much worse it will be during the games.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:28 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm more worried about what that park will do to the rents. Rents are already going up for some apartment complexes nearby. Some businesses had to leave because of rising rent.

I worry about traffic. Metro Atlanta already has a crappy transportation infrastructure considering 6 million people live here. The Cumberland area is already a nightmare at rush hour. Imagine how much worse it will be during the games.
These are valid concerns. I guess I'd say that SunTrust Park alone is not (and will not be) to blame for a horrendous traffic situation and deficient infrastructure that has been allowed to perpetuate itself for decades. This is a metro-wide issue that shows no signs of being resolved or seriously addressed any time soon. By the time real movement in a more positive direction begins, most of us on this forum will be pretty advanced in age, more than likely, and, as a result, unable to really benefit from the changes that should have already happened or that should be underway right now.

Or we will have reached our life expectancy and will already be gone.

As for rents and home prices, it seems like they are trending higher throughout Cobb. I know of some folks who own properties in Kennesaw, Acworth and Emerson who are already fielding VRBO inquiries from folks interested in Braves games or who are looking for somewhere to stay due to KSU activities.

I am glad we bought where we did when we did. I never imagined in just three years we wouldn't be able to dream of purchasing our house for what we did.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:36 AM

654 posts, read 527,032 times
To be honest, the entire STP complex is starting to look nice. Better than many people predicted. Can anyone truthfully say that the metro region isn't better off with a very nice STP complex than it was with Turner and it's problems? I get the COA bias, but shouldn't region support go both ways?

Old 10-19-2016, 09:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
To be honest, the entire STP complex is starting to look nice. Better than many people predicted. Can anyone truthfully say that the metro region isn't better off with a very nice STP complex than it was with Turner and it's problems? I get the COA bias, but shouldn't region support go both ways?
There is no reason why a mixed use development could not have been developed at the parking lots in the future. The issue with the current site, is Liberty Media did not own the lots and therefore would not receive as much funding from a mixed use development there, as they will from owning the land at STP and Battery Atlanta.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:00 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
If I were a Cobb County taxpayer or commuter in the Cumberland area? Yes.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:29 AM

643 posts, read 571,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is no reason why a mixed use development could not have been developed at the parking lots in the future. The issue with the current site, is Liberty Media did not own the lots and therefore would not receive as much funding from a mixed use development there, as they will from owning the land at STP and Battery Atlanta.
No reason except lack of committment from the CoA to facilitate. While Reed was running around hooking up the Falcons and starting work on Philips Arena, the team that has the greatest economic impact and highest attendance was neglected. Blame CoA leadership for this one.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:08 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
It should go both ways, LTCM. And you are right - the STP area is becoming very nice and the whole region is better off. There are some on this forum who simply cannot see past their Cobb prejudices for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta