Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl1221 View Post
It's a real shame. Georgia used to have some of the best roads in the country. It's getting terrible on the connector!
We really did used to have some great roads. It seems like they have been using salt more often and that has been very destructive to the roads. The rough patches on the connector are terrible, I am assuming they are working on a solution. I don't recall ever seeing it this bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Plus, traffic lights were time-coordinated on a massive scale as compared to what I find in Atlanta and it's suburbs.
Compared? There's nothing to compare. I don't think Atlanta does any time-coordination on traffic signals, unless they are directly timed together, like two intersections acting as one. But driving down a long stretch? It's almost as if they coordinate them to turn red as you get to each one.

And, the light timings in Atlanta are WAAAAAAAY too long. There are some intersections where I put the car in park and tun it off because I know I will be there for 3-5 minutes waiting. And don't get me started on these mother ******* diverging diamond interchanges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
We really did used to have some great roads. It seems like they have been using salt more often and that has been very destructive to the roads. The rough patches on the connector are terrible, I am assuming they are working on a solution. I don't recall ever seeing it this bad.
285 isn't much better, but at least they are working on it. There used to be a spot on 285 before exiting to 85 S that I hit every day. Since it was usually 5:45 in the morning, I was bleary-eyed and on auto-pilot, and hitting that car rattle reminded me that it was time to exit.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:09 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
I believe the entire issue is the performance of a layer of pervious asphalt used as a top coat on the existing pavement section. Several years ago they closed the connector in segments to install this. It seems to have very suddenly degraded in a number of areas, mostly in the right lanes (which isn't surprising as this is where trucks are allowed, and a single truck generally causes a level of pavement stress equal to that of several hundred passenger cars).

What exactly is causing the pervious pavement to fail so rapidly and generally is mysterious. But I'm sure that GDOT was hoping for better performance than this.

Before people bring out the pitchforks against pervious pavement (there's sound, traditional asphalt underneath all of the failure areas, if you look closely), it vastly decreases pooling of water and spray during rainstorms, and thus greatly improves traffic safety (and hence reduces congestion). I just am surprised at how suddenly it started to fail. I suspect winter pavement treatment had something to do with it, but that's 100% conjecture.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:09 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
285 isn't much better, but at least they are working on it. There used to be a spot on 285 before exiting to 85 S that I hit every day. Since it was usually 5:45 in the morning, I was bleary-eyed and on auto-pilot, and hitting that car rattle reminded me that it was time to exit.
In my experience, the recent work done on 285 West b/t Camp Creek and Cobb County is the smoothest concrete I have ever driven on. The did some work on it recently and it is impressive! I get the feeling the issues with the connector and elsewhere are due to a bad mix of asphalt and rough weather.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:17 PM

390 posts, read 906,797 times
GDOT has been brining a ton since Snowmaggedon in 2014. I do have a feeling that mixture has something to do with the breakdown of pavement. Add in 200,000+ cars a day and the road is under heavy stress. What I feel has changed is that in the 1990s and early 2000s they would be out there for an "emergency project" by this point to fix it. Hopefully these problems come to their priority list because there are spots all around town that need some immediate TLC.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I believe the entire issue is the performance of a layer of pervious asphalt used as a top coat on the existing pavement section. Several years ago they closed the connector in segments to install this. It seems to have very suddenly degraded in a number of areas, mostly in the right lanes (which isn't surprising as this is where trucks are allowed, and a single truck generally causes a level of pavement stress equal to that of several hundred passenger cars).

What exactly is causing the pervious pavement to fail so rapidly and generally is mysterious. But I'm sure that GDOT was hoping for better performance than this.

Before people bring out the pitchforks against pervious pavement (there's sound, traditional asphalt underneath all of the failure areas, if you look closely), it vastly decreases pooling of water and spray during rainstorms, and thus greatly improves traffic safety (and hence reduces congestion). I just am surprised at how suddenly it started to fail. I suspect winter pavement treatment had something to do with it, but that's 100% conjecture.
I agree Testa, I remember when they laid down the payment. I'm shocked all how fast it is breaking down. Also the white lines are curled up or completely gone in some spot. It looks a hot mess.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:15 AM

376 posts, read 330,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl1221 View Post
GDOT has been brining a ton since Snowmaggedon in 2014. I do have a feeling that mixture has something to do with the breakdown of pavement. Add in 200,000+ cars a day and the road is under heavy stress. What I feel has changed is that in the 1990s and early 2000s they would be out there for an "emergency project" by this point to fix it. Hopefully these problems come to their priority list because there are spots all around town that need some immediate TLC.
I agree that GDOT's heavy brining these last couple of years has had an impact on the road surface. The fact that rather than being the traditional potholes instead the entire surface of the road is crumbling away to dust supports this conclusion.

Speaking of potholes there is a MAJOR pothole on 285 eastbound in the middle lane as it leaves the 75 interchange. It has been there for a couple of months but has gotten really massive. I forgot to move over to avoid it the other day and when I hit it I thought it had destroyed my front end. Really surprised GDOT hasn't gone out and patched that thing.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:12 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
I agree that GDOT's heavy brining these last couple of years has had an impact on the road surface. The fact that rather than being the traditional potholes instead the entire surface of the road is crumbling away to dust supports this conclusion.

Speaking of potholes there is a MAJOR pothole on 285 eastbound in the middle lane as it leaves the 75 interchange. It has been there for a couple of months but has gotten really massive. I forgot to move over to avoid it the other day and when I hit it I thought it had destroyed my front end. Really surprised GDOT hasn't gone out and patched that thing.
Can you file a car damage claim with the GDOT? Thats ridiculous !

Old 02-18-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Can you file a car damage claim with the GDOT? Thats ridiculous !
I looked at the front of my car and my tires when I got home and luckily I didn't notice any apparent damage. If they dont fix that soon though there is going to be a mighty big crater there. I dont think you can actually sue GDOT for damages such as that, I believe they have immunity.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I agree Testa, I remember when they laid down the payment. I'm shocked all how fast it is breaking down. Also the white lines are curled up or completely gone in some spot. It looks a hot mess.
I would also say that with GDOT planning on resurfacing all of I-20 West this summer lets hope they dont use the same surface!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta