Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 02:04 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
He's right. Seriously, the Politics area of the forum is beyond belief. If you don't believe us, go take a look at the dozens of conspiracy-theory-based anti-Obama, anti-Clinton, anti-Democratic threads & comments found there.
I had my suspicions but yet didn't completely realize how widespread the wearing of tin foil hats was in America until I ventured to that forum area.
Even worse is the blind white hot hatred that is expressed towards BO who is good and honorable man. I get they don't like his politics but the hateful rhetoric is beyond scary and really over the top.

Too bad and makes me think a certain segment is beyond reach, as there is no give, just a stubborn and hateful refusal to consider their world view isn't gospel. Doesn't bode well for the future in terms of finding common ground on anything at all controversial requiring compromise.

The current battle taking place in the Senate right now, over gun control is but the most recent example, and regrettably there are many others.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:05 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
So his Dad's real estate company was sued for racial discrimination in housing in 1973? That's your claim? Really? (I realize there are other claims in the article, but not well substantiated-and that's not the misleading headline of the article).
*My* claim is that he's a world class buffoon and that video proves it. Singling out a black audience member and calling him "my African American" (as well as other examples like posing behind a taco on Cinco de Mayo) shows insensitivity at best and prejudice at worst.

What do those of you who still support him see in him that the rest of us do not. He has no political experience (being a "businessman" does not qualify) and no policy agendas at all. At least none that count as rational or sane. Really, what is there? All I see is a foul tempered brat.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:33 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,497 times
Quote:
Of all the myriad criticisms about Donald Trump, calling him a racist is the one with the weakest support.

"Claiming a person can’t do their job because of their race is sort of like the textbook definition of a racist comment.” -- Paul Ryan, Republican Speaker of the House

I wonder what would qualify as evidence for you. A lifetime of racist comments in the public record doesn't cut it. The racialized appeals on the campaign trail that draw so much support from white supremacists, white nationalists, neo-Nazis, and the Klan isn't evidence of racism, either. Hypothetically, what does it take for someone to be a racist in your mind?

He's gone way beyond dog-whistles and deployed overtly racist rhetoric in his campaign. If a person's words and actions don't make him a racist, what does? How much are you willing to justify, rationalize and dismiss, and why is that?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:49 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Hillary= Status quo
Trump= Premature War
Third party= Start of political revolution

Old 06-20-2016, 11:24 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
*My* claim is that he's a world class buffoon and that video proves it. Singling out a black audience member and calling him "my African American" (as well as other examples like posing behind a taco on Cinco de Mayo) shows insensitivity at best and prejudice at worst.

What do those of you who still support him see in him that the rest of us do not. He has no political experience (being a "businessman" does not qualify) and no policy agendas at all. At least none that count as rational or sane. Really, what is there? All I see is a foul tempered brat.
I don't support him. You have some good criticisms of him. I just see a lot of people who have nothing to say about him but that he is a racist, which makes me think they are buffoons, that they can't see all the legitimate reasons to disapprove of him as president. Instead they are repeating talking points and stretching the smallest thing.

Like the crimes by Mexican immigrants. He wasn't talking about Mexican Americans. He was only talking about immigrants. Or Muslims. They aren't a race. And he was for banning immigration from a group that we know is being used to infiltrate terrorists. I don't agree with him, but his reasons aren't racism.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post

"Claiming a person can’t do their job because of their race is sort of like the textbook definition of a racist comment.” -- Paul Ryan, Republican Speaker of the House

I wonder what would qualify as evidence for you. A lifetime of racist comments in the public record doesn't cut it. The racialized appeals on the campaign trail that draw so much support from white supremacists, white nationalists, neo-Nazis, and the Klan isn't evidence of racism, either. Hypothetically, what does it take for someone to be a racist in your mind?

He's gone way beyond dog-whistles and deployed overtly racist rhetoric in his campaign. If a person's words and actions don't make him a racist, what does? How much are you willing to justify, rationalize and dismiss, and why is that?
He accused the judge of being prejudiced against him because of all the "dog whistles" by the left against him. Some pretty nasty people endorsed Barack Obama. I doubt you called him out on it.

Trump's campaign primarily is just what Carville described, "Its the economy, stupid." So many people still don't get it.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
He accused the judge of being prejudiced against him because of all the "dog whistles" by the left against him. Some pretty nasty people endorsed Barack Obama. I doubt you called him out on it.
Haha yeah, Paul Ryan is wrong -- claiming a judge can't adjudicate a case fairly because of his "Mexican heritage" isn't racist; Trump was the victim of Leftist dog whistles! Also, racial minorities are the "real racists"!

As for Obama, I think there was clearly a connection between his identity, background, his time as a community organizer, and his campaign message -- where he spent an awful lot of time speaking eloquently about "social justice" -- that endeared him to radicals such as Ayers and Wright. He spoke their language. I think it would be bizarre to argue that the support of such people had nothing to do with Obama's unique story and message.

Likewise, I think it's bizarre to suggest that Trump's popularity with white supremacists, white nationalists, neo-Nazis, and the Klan have nothing to do with who he is or to his overt appeals to white ethnocentrism and racial grievance. Very bizarre indeed.

In any case, this is the thing that concerns me most about Trump and his rhetoric. It's amazing to me how, even in America in 2016, a demagogue with the forces of political partisanship and cultural tribalism behind him can redefine the norms of decency and acceptability almost overnight.

Last year at this time almost no one would have believed that the sorts of things Trump says would have been acceptable to ~40% of Americans, let alone appeal to them. Instead, Republicans -- from ordinary voters to the elites -- have just come along with him, shifting their sense of what is acceptable, as he established himself as the presumptive nominee. You can look back at polls from last fall where a sizable majority said they could never see themselves voting for him, to polls today where he's pulling a pretty normal 80%+ of Republican voters.

You're a really good example. You claim to not even support him, yet you're unwilling to call him a "racist" based on his long history of racist comments and racist appeals in the campaign, and you seem ready and willing to normalize him as a mainstream political figure.

I'm still confident in the American voter (as much as I'm disgusted with the Republican base) and believe this will end with a Trump-shaped burning crater in the electoral map. But it's still disturbing and disappointing.

Quote:
Trump's campaign primarily is just what Carville described, "Its the economy, stupid." So many people still don't get it.
Well, his campaign is tanking, and it's not tanking because the general electorate cares less about the economy than the Republican base in 2016. There must be some other reason for the way Trump's message resonated in the primary but is flatlining him in the general. Whatever could it be?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 AM
bu2

Quote:
Haha yeah, Paul Ryan is wrong -- claiming a judge can't adjudicate a case fairly because of his "Mexican heritage" isn't racist; Trump was the victim of Leftist dog whistles! Also, racial minorities are the "real racists"!

As for Obama, I think there was clearly a connection between his identity, background, his time as a community organizer, and his campaign message -- where he spent an awful lot of time speaking eloquently about "social justice" -- that endeared him to radicals such as Ayers and Wright. He spoke their language. I think it would be bizarre to argue that the support of such people had nothing to do with Obama's unique story and message.

Likewise, I think it's bizarre to suggest that Trump's popularity with white supremacists, white nationalists, neo-Nazis, and the Klan have nothing to do with who he is or to his overt appeals to white ethnocentrism and racial grievance. Very bizarre indeed.

In any case, this is the thing that concerns me most about Trump and his rhetoric. It's amazing to me how, even in America in 2016, a demagogue with the forces of political partisanship and cultural tribalism behind him can redefine the norms of decency and acceptability almost overnight.

If you think he has redefined things, you don't spend much time on the internet. He's merely bringing the internet and reality TV to politics.

Last year at this time almost no one would have believed that the sorts of things Trump says would have been acceptable to ~40% of Americans, let alone appeal to them. Instead, Republicans -- from ordinary voters to the elites -- have just come along with him, shifting their sense of what is acceptable, as he established himself as the presumptive nominee. You can look back at polls from last fall where a sizable majority said they could never see themselves voting for him, to polls today where he's pulling a pretty normal 80%+ of Republican voters.

Hillary is working real hard to become the bigger evil. Trump obviously has many planning on voting for him who view him negatively.

You're a really good example. You claim to not even support him, yet you're unwilling to call him a "racist" based on his long history of racist comments and racist appeals in the campaign, and you seem ready and willing to normalize him as a mainstream political figure.

No, its just that almost everything used as an example isn't "racism." "Racist" is the Democrat's dog whistle for anyone who doesn't support all their positions.

I'm still confident in the American voter (as much as I'm disgusted with the Republican base) and believe this will end with a Trump-shaped burning crater in the electoral map. But it's still disturbing and disappointing.

Yes its pretty disturbing and disappointing. The Democrats acceptance of Hillary is equally disturbing and disappointing.

Well, his campaign is tanking, and it's not tanking because the general electorate cares less about the economy than the Republican base in 2016. There must be some other reason for the way Trump's message resonated in the primary but is flatlining him in the general. Whatever could it be?
He's in about the same place he was in a couple months ago. But his reality TV show personality without experienced campaign help might catch up to him as we get closer to November. Hlllary and the protestors of Trump, however, are working really, really hard to make people realize they are really dangerous for America as well. Its hard to believe so many people support two such awful candidates. And a lot of them are enthused.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
The Democrats acceptance of Hillary is equally disturbing and disappointing.
Oh, please. There's no equivalence at all. I'm not a big fan of HRC. She's well to my left, she doesn't seem to be a particularly effective manager, and despite opportunities, she doesn't have a great record of actual accomplishments. But she's a mainstream, center-left Democrat. She is experienced, informed and actually knows something about policy.

Trump is a know-nothing celebrity clown who revels in ignorance and spent the past year making outrageous public statements and getting 24/7 media coverage of them. It just turned out that the lowest common denominator to whom those statements appealed actually represented a plurality of the Republican base, and that allowed him to defeat "the deepest GOP field in history." As a former straight-ticket Republican voter, I consider this a sad, sorry joke and a real tragedy.

Quote:
He's in about the same place he was in a couple months ago.
Yes, he's back to trailing by a very large margin. He was actually up 0.2% in the RCP average a month ago. Today he's down 5.8%. He hasn't led in any of the last sixteen national polls.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
It just turned out that the lowest common denominator to whom those statements appealed actually represented a plurality of the Republican base, and that allowed him to defeat "the deepest GOP field in history." As a former straight-ticket Republican voter, I consider this a sad, sorry joke and a real tragedy.
This was a surprise to me as well.

Previously we had heard from many Republicans that this sort of anti-intellectual group that is swayed by fear driven arguments over race and religion only represented a small fraction of the party base. Well Trump proved that wrong pretty conclusively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta