U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 AM
 
9,956 posts, read 6,957,017 times
Reputation: 3035

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Give me a break. You cannot do 99% of the things in Atlanta with no car.
You can do 100% of things in Atlanta without owning a car. Just the economics become more apparent.

People that own cars drop $25k on a vehicle then won't go shopping in the city because they don't want to pay $5 to park and instead will drive 10 miles to a strip mall in suburbia (where they still spend a few dollars in gas and wear to get to).

People that don't own a car will instead shop at the small local store on their walk from the transit station instead of spending $5 on Uber to get to a strip mall.

The car-free lifestyle is less expensive on the whole. And you can still go everywhere you can by owning a car by using ZipCar or Uber. But the economics change and you realize how expensive getting around in the sprawl really is and how paying $100 extra in rent in the city is worth it to avoid all those expensive car trips.

Last edited by jsvh; 03-03-2016 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 AM
 
985 posts, read 1,434,243 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Give me a break. You cannot do 99% of the things in Atlanta with no car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Uber, ZipCar, MARTA, bike, etc.
If fact you can do a lot of things in the City of Atlanta without a car.
Yep, it will be two years in April for me without a car. I don't recall missing out on anything due to not having a vehicle. I live downtown as well. It took about 6 months to break old habits of car dependency. You learn the true cost of transportation. I also use Zipcar and Uber, but it's funny because now I try to avoid paying for those options if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 09:51 AM
 
1,966 posts, read 1,655,563 times
Reputation: 1216
It all depends on the HOA fees. At $300 it would make sense for someone that works downtown. In the comments section they debate about what the fees are. They said the listing says $580, which is kind of crazy. Parking is not necessary, but the HOA fees should reflect that there is no parking to maintain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,596 posts, read 8,687,532 times
Reputation: 5098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You can do 100% of things in Atlanta without owning a car. Just the economics become more apparent.

People that own cars drop $25k on a vehicle then won't go shopping in the city because they don't want to pay $5 to park and instead will drive 10 miles to a strip mall in suburbia (where they still spend a few dollars in gas and wear to get to).

People that don't own a car will instead shop at the small local store on their walk from the transit station instead of spending $5 on Uber to get to a strip mall.

The car-free lifestyle is less expensive on the whole. And you can still go everywhere you can by owning a car by using ZipCar or Uber. But the economics change and you realize how expensive getting around in the sprawl really is and how paying $100 extra in rent in the city is worth it to avoid all those expensive car trips.
How do car-free folks manage with children? I can almost see it for a single person who doesn't travel out of the urban core, but cannot imagine it with children, a job that requires travel, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,244 posts, read 16,284,161 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
How do car-free folks manage with children? I can almost see it for a single person who doesn't travel out of the urban core, but cannot imagine it with children, a job that requires travel, etc.
Use transit, walk, etc. It is not that hard, billions of people do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,596 posts, read 8,687,532 times
Reputation: 5098
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Use transit, walk, etc. It is not that hard, billions of people do it.
I recall back in my professional days, I spent a lot of times driving around to meetings, to client offices, lunches/ dinners, etc. There just isn't a way that I could have possibly done all of that without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Georgia
4,987 posts, read 4,023,914 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Use transit, walk, etc. It is not that hard, billions of people do it.
In places where it is feasible to do so. Try commuting from suburban Gwinnett County to Decatur via transit in less than two hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 AM
 
985 posts, read 1,434,243 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
In places where it is feasible to do so. Try commuting from suburban Gwinnett County to Decatur via transit in less than two hours.
Yes, but you are moving the goalpost. This conversation is related to a 110k downtown condo, not Gwinnett. If you were on topic, the argument would be rather silly. Of course you can get to Decatur from Downtown in less than 20 minutes. No one is suggesting that you don't need a car in certain parts of METRO ATLANTA, but you certainly don't NEED one in downtown Atlanta. Take it from me, I'm living proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 AM
 
96 posts, read 68,963 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I recall back in my professional days, I spent a lot of times driving around to meetings, to client offices, lunches/ dinners, etc. There just isn't a way that I could have possibly done all of that without a car.

For you it wouldn't have worked. It's pretty simple really - if you have kids and a job that requires you to visit places all around town, you probably wouldn't buy a place like this. If you don't have clients or kids, you could save a lot of money by living at a place like this and not having to pay a car payment, insurance, gas, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,244 posts, read 16,284,161 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I recall back in my professional days, I spent a lot of times driving around to meetings, to client offices, lunches/ dinners, etc. There just isn't a way that I could have possibly done all of that without a car.
Uber? I mean if your job requires you to drive as part of the duties, then I can understand that, but there are options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top