U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:15 AM

23,728 posts, read 19,479,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Look at all that surface parking. Not very urban.

You guys just don't get it and need to read The High Cost Of Free Parking.
I brought that same concern up to the architect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:37 AM

4,465 posts, read 4,101,501 times
Quote:

In an area that is used to attracting the likes of Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, and fast food renovations, I see no problem with the amount of free parking. Actually West End street grid is similar to the layout of Athens and Savannah with plentiful wide main and backroads. The area is uniquely gifted with housing and have an unique urban feel that other Atlanta neighborhoods don't currently provide. When I go jogging and walking its amazing at the stretch of housing that I pass in West End, Westview, and Ashview Heights. Hopefully it can attract other retailers and people would be able to bypass the woeful West End Mall which should close and be renovated.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:51 PM

Update!Wow!

SOUTHERN AGED PLANNING 7,000-SF CREAMERY IN LEE + WHITE DEVELOPMENT
Nov 30,2016 09:29 am 0
The creamery is relocating from Elberton, GA.
Southern Aged (formerly Nature's Harmony) is moving forward with plans to relocate its Elberton, GA creamery to the forthcoming Lee + White Development.

The company, which crafts handmade cheeses, this week filed plans with City of Atlanta to buildout a 6,930-square-foot production facility at the soon-to-open project on the Westside.

"We wanted to find a property in an emerging area and love the proximity to the Beltline," Julie Schoen, co-owner at Southern Aged, told What Now Atlanta (WNA) in an email Tuesday.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 5,044,708 times
That does sound like an awesome addition.

Very gentrerific though (i know that's not a word). Maybe they can do double EBT for their artisanal organic handcrafted cheeses?

Old 12-03-2016, 07:52 PM

149 posts, read 148,234 times
People act like neighborhoods shouldn't evolve. West End used to be a very affluent area. Why can't this be the case again?

Old 12-04-2016, 09:16 AM

30,593 posts, read 29,111,796 times
Looks they will also be getting a cheese place.

Rural Georgia cheesemaker plans to move near Westside Trail - The Atlanta Loop

Old 12-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Old new already in the previous post from Nov 30

Old 12-04-2016, 11:22 AM

5,634 posts, read 3,984,605 times
Quote:

I know this is a post from months ago, but...

This is an existing building/lot being repurposed. So, what do you propose they do with the existing parking lot? Dig it up and leave grass or dirt? They could build more buildings there, but that could come in time. They can easily remove parking as time goes on and fill in with new buildings if new buildings are desired. But they can't really add more parking if it's needed if they've covered the whole place with buildings.

Until there is viable transit to this area, removing the parking would be an astronomically stupid idea for business. And no, a MARTA station being half a mile away is not enough to warrant removing all parking. Being on the Beltline Trail right now is not enough to warrant removing all parking. I live just a few miles from this project. It would make me less than 20 minutes to drive and park here. Taking a bus from my house to a rail station and then to West End, and then walking the rest of the way would take about an hour. Taking just the bus would take 1 hour and 40 minutes. Not an option.

Now, once we have a fully-functioning transit network, then we can talk about removing the parking.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:05 PM

30,593 posts, read 29,111,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Old new already in the previous post from Nov 30
Sorry, my bad.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:39 PM

10,974 posts, read 8,424,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Now, once we have a fully-functioning transit network, then we can talk about removing the parking.
Quote:
As far as the “chicken or egg” question of whether transit should come first, or density and limited parking, to Keane (City of Atlanta's Planning Commissioner), the answer is clear:

“I hear this all the time. ‘Well, we don't want the density unless we get the transit.’ Well, I've got news for you. You really have to start with the density and less parking. If you don't, then you've lost your opportunity, because once you've built that infrastructure, it's so difficult to undo that.”

In other words, once people have parking, they don’t like for it to be taken away. And parking infrastructure … it has a way of becoming entrenched.
Atlanta Looks For Solutions To City’s Parking Lot Deserts | WABE

Last edited by jsvh; 12-04-2016 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta