U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2016, 08:15 AM
 
12 posts, read 14,834 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

3rd Bass, our house is on the market on Woodland Ave just south of Confederate. We are zoned for Parkside and all the APS charters like Wesley, Kindezi (except ANCS). It's a 3BR/2.5Ba craftsman built in 2007 with a detached 2 car garage and about 2750 total sq ft. It also has an adjoining space off the master bed for a home office / nursery. $419,900. If you are interested, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2016, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, and Raleigh
2,299 posts, read 1,418,796 times
Reputation: 1378
OP, I would opt to purchase inside of the Atlanta city limits if I were you. Unless, the area where you have asked about purchasing a home is annexed into Atlanta city limits within the next 12 months then you might want to look elsewhere inside of the actual city propert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 08:54 AM
 
2,508 posts, read 1,283,094 times
Reputation: 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib...%20Jackson.pdf
Unless they are in East Lake, it is unincorporated DeKalb County.
No, they were definitely City of Atlanta. East Side Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 AM
 
2,508 posts, read 1,283,094 times
Reputation: 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
No, they were definitely City of Atlanta. East Side Avenue.
CHolt, sorry, I think you were referring to the OPs house, not my friend's location when I answered you.

OP keep in mind that it appears Braeburn east of Clifton is part of the proposed City of Greenhaven.

CCCSD: Concerned Citizens for Cityhood of South DeKalb, Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Edgewood in the City of Atlanta, GA
95 posts, read 46,719 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I don't know anything about the schools but I have friends who sold their home in East Atlanta (about 4 blocks from the EARL) and it took a long time to sell, and they ended up dropping the price and selling for what they bought it for 5 years prior. The schools might have had something to do with it. They sold 2.5 years ago, maybe things have changed.
Yeah, things have changed a little I believed as Burgess Academy is decent school now for the elementary due to gentrification. I knew before hand we were out of this district by a little bit but I was sure there would be some charter school we could get into as the are really has gentrified. I guess I would be shooting my self in the foot on buying this house when I can just be patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Edgewood in the City of Atlanta, GA
95 posts, read 46,719 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmichaelc View Post
3rd Bass, our house is on the market on Woodland Ave just south of Confederate. We are zoned for Parkside and all the APS charters like Wesley, Kindezi (except ANCS). It's a 3BR/2.5Ba craftsman built in 2007 with a detached 2 car garage and about 2750 total sq ft. It also has an adjoining space off the master bed for a home office / nursery. $419,900. If you are interested, please let me know.
I wish we could go that high. We are looking to stay closer to the $350K range and not taxed myself. I'm the sole income provider right now. Wife is just starting her job career her in the states as she is originally from Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Edgewood in the City of Atlanta, GA
95 posts, read 46,719 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
CHolt, sorry, I think you were referring to the OPs house, not my friend's location when I answered you.

OP keep in mind that it appears Braeburn east of Clifton is part of the proposed City of Greenhaven.

CCCSD: Concerned Citizens for Cityhood of South DeKalb, Inc.
Interesting but it seems it would be awhile before it changes things with the school system unless I'm interpreting this wrong.

There is the actual house with location from zillow listing.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/18...d/?view=public
Is there a special way to post link on this site? I just copied the address url into my post but it isn't showing correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Edgewood in the City of Atlanta, GA
95 posts, read 46,719 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Are you sure this home isn't districted for Maynard Jackson High School? That's what my friend's place was and they were a bit west/north of Braeburn.
Yep, we are right at that line unfortunately. I was being a bit naive thinking that our district would have better options looking at all the gentrification, newer built craftsmen houses built in that area and the proximity to EAV.

Last edited by 3rdbass; 03-02-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 11:40 AM
 
1,947 posts, read 1,637,588 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
I wish we could go that high. We are looking to stay closer to the $350K range and not taxed myself. I'm the sole income provider right now. Wife is just starting her job career her in the states as she is originally from Brazil.
@350K I would buy something within the city limits with schools that are trending up, or at least a part of Dekalb that has average schools now, or that may be incorperated into COA (just east of Druid Hills towards Decatur).
FWIW I taught at McNair HS many years ago. It was considered a bad school then. But, the AP classes were pretty decent--the only way you could be sure to get real college prep courses for every class. Anything below that was hit or miss with some teachers losing control of the class, and nothing getting done, while the teachers that could control their kids could teach the kids who had not mentally checked out. Among those that could control their class, there were some excellent teachers (some were there as punishment) and some not so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Edgewood in the City of Atlanta, GA
95 posts, read 46,719 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
@350K I would buy something within the city limits with schools that are trending up, or at least a part of Dekalb that has average schools now, or that may be incorperated into COA (just east of Druid Hills towards Decatur).
FWIW I taught at McNair HS many years ago. It was considered a bad school then. But, the AP classes were pretty decent--the only way you could be sure to get real college prep courses for every class. Anything below that was hit or miss with some teachers losing control of the class, and nothing getting done, while the teachers that could control their kids could teach the kids who had not mentally checked out. Among those that could control their class, there were some excellent teachers (some were there as punishment) and some not so great.
We aren't expecting top notch schools like we have in Poncey Highlands but at least a 5 rating and not a 1 rating for elementary school. We know there could be chance we might have to move when we reach middle school level but that might not be too hard and at least that is 11-12 years away compared to 4-5 years if we have kid in the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top