U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 10:51 PM

96 posts, read 46,918 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide if I'm making a big mistake that I will regret later on. We just got an offer accepted for a house on Braeburn Circle in East Atlanta. Unfortunately it is in the Dekalb side and that means McNair and other bad schools there instead of Atlanta Public Schools like Drew Charter or Burgess Academy. I'm still in my due diligence period and can withdraw my offer. Would I be smart to hold off and just wait for a deal in a good school district in Atlanta.

I really like the house as it has character and 2 car garage with storage and not in an ugly sub-division while still in walking/short bike ride to East Atlanta. I know prices are going crazy and really like the house but just worried that buying a house in a bad school district is going to come back and bite me. Does anyone know if there are any charter school options that we would be in Tier 1 as my wife and I plan to have at least one kid? I don't really want to have to pay for private school as I'm a product of a great public school system in West Hartford, CT.

I have a condo I need to sell in a hot in-town district but I know not everybody will take contingencies. I'm have a little bit more room in my budget to go higher but I'm getting very close to my max I can afford and not being foolish with my money. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 11:31 PM

5,372 posts, read 4,891,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
I'm trying to decide if I'm making a big mistake that I will regret later on. We just got an offer accepted for a house on Braeburn Circle in East Atlanta. Unfortunately it is in the Dekalb side and that means McNair and other bad schools there instead of Atlanta Public Schools like Drew Charter or Burgess Academy. I'm still in my due diligence period and can withdraw my offer. Would I be smart to hold off and just wait for a deal in a good school district in Atlanta.

I really like the house as it has character and 2 car garage with storage and not in an ugly sub-division while still in walking/short bike ride to East Atlanta. I know prices are going crazy and really like the house but just worried that buying a house in a bad school district is going to come back and bite me. Does anyone know if there are any charter school options that we would be in Tier 1 as my wife and I plan to have at least one kid? I don't really want to have to pay for private school as I'm a product of a great public school system in West Hartford, CT.

I have a condo I need to sell in a hot in-town district but I know not everybody will take contingencies. I'm have a little bit more room in my budget to go higher but I'm getting very close to my max I can afford and not being foolish with my money. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would say that if you don't necessarily feel all that good about it then you should probably take a step back from the deal and take some time to look at other options in areas with higher quality schools that you feel much better about making such a major financial commitment in.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:31 AM

789 posts, read 640,888 times
If the child has good parenting and support at home they should fair well in a not so good school district. As for preparing them for college don't depend on the school have your own home curriculum along side the school's.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:30 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,802,153 times
I like the new Superintendent of DeKalb schools. I think he gets education. I think he can make some improvement if the bureacrats get out of his way. That said, the McNair cluster is one of the most challenging in the system and I wonder how much progress he can make.

Are you getting a good enough deal on this house that you could sell it in X years when the kid (that you don't have yet) is ready to start school?

Pre-recession, I always thought that the part of DeKalb you are talking about would be the next hot area because of its proximity to East Atlanta, but even EA slowed down.

there are no charter schools that are tier one for McNair. And because of how 'little" DeKalb spends per pupil you can't expect an explosion of charter schools like you see in ATL.

However, DeKalb has a fair amount of school choice, but the odds are long to get in. I know I am talking in circles.

We purchased our first home in a school district we weren't sure about when our baby was new. We figured that we would move if we felt we needed too. But the school we were concerned about faced nowhere near the challenges that the McNair schools do.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:39 AM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
The title, East Atlanta, is misleading as East Atlanta is in CoA and APS.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:44 AM

Well we don't have a kid yet so that is a plus. The house needs a few cosmetic work as it was built in 2003 but overall seems to be a beautiful craftsman. I guess losing some of that walk-ability will suck as we live in the beltline right now. It is about 1.5 miles from the center of EAV so it isn't too bad of a walk. Just won't have the nice trails. LOL! I noticed a lot of people shopping in the West End for a house on this site. Would I notice a big difference in Safety in the West End compared to to East Atlanta? I did the beltline tour and really thought the area around the belt line was very nice though there is some areas of Urban Blight that are really not too far away which is sad to see. I would prefer something relatively safe as my wife is from Brazil and is still getting adjusted to the country(been here 2 years). It does sound like a more diverse area which I would love as EAV is more white version of little five points in some ways. Maybe I'm wrong about that but that is my perception. Still like EAV as it does have the little area for shopping and I like it being close to Edgewood and Inman Park.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Well we don't have a kid yet so that is a plus. The house needs a few cosmetic work as it was built in 2003 but overall seems to be a beautiful craftsman. I guess losing some of that walk-ability will suck as we live in the beltline right now. It is about 1.5 miles from the center of EAV so it isn't too bad of a walk. Just won't have the nice trails. LOL! I noticed a lot of people shopping in the West End for a house on this site. Would I notice a big difference in Safety in the West End compared to to East Atlanta? I did the beltline tour and really thought the area around the belt line was very nice though there is some areas of Urban Blight that are really not too far away which is sad to see. I would prefer something relatively safe as my wife is from Brazil and is still getting adjusted to the country(been here 2 years). It does sound like a more diverse area which I would love as EAV is more white version of little five points in some ways. Maybe I'm wrong about that but that is my perception. Still like EAV as it does have the little area for shopping and I like it being close to Edgewood and Inman Park.
http://www.atlantapd.org/zone6.aspx

Old 03-02-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I like the new Superintendent of DeKalb schools. I think he gets education. I think he can make some improvement if the bureacrats get out of his way. That said, the McNair cluster is one of the most challenging in the system and I wonder how much progress he can make.

Are you getting a good enough deal on this house that you could sell it in X years when the kid (that you don't have yet) is ready to start school?

Pre-recession, I always thought that the part of DeKalb you are talking about would be the next hot area because of its proximity to East Atlanta, but even EA slowed down.

there are no charter schools that are tier one for McNair. And because of how 'little" DeKalb spends per pupil you can't expect an explosion of charter schools like you see in ATL.

However, DeKalb has a fair amount of school choice, but the odds are long to get in. I know I am talking in circles.

We purchased our first home in a school district we weren't sure about when our baby was new. We figured that we would move if we felt we needed too. But the school we were concerned about faced nowhere near the challenges that the McNair schools do.
It sucks because we are just on the other side Clifton not even 1/4 mile away from APS. My wife will kill me about pulling out of another house deal. I have pulled out of a few others that were in Smyrna(didn't want suburbia and a few townhomes in-town in iffy areas of dekalb). We really want a house for sure and we are getting a decent deal we think. We offered them 1k more than list with no closing costs since we have our contingency property on the beltline to sell first. Our agent is saying a lot of owners won't take a contingency in this hot market. They did have one more offer but not sure of the details of it. Just a little worried we might be priced out of even these areas as market is going crazy. I can go about 30K higher and to try to get into a better school district but wonder if I should just wait it out or buy in an area like the west end. We have my 1 bedroom condo on the beltline. It is just my wife and 2 cats though room is getting tight even with the storage unit I have.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
It sucks because we are just on the other side Clifton not even 1/4 mile away from APS. My wife will kill me about pulling out of another house deal. I have pulled out of a few others that were in Smyrna(didn't want suburbia and a few townhomes in-town in iffy areas of dekalb). We really want a house for sure and we are getting a decent deal we think. We offered them 1k more than list with no closing costs since we have our contingency property on the beltline to sell first. Our agent is saying a lot of owners won't take a contingency in this hot market. They did have one more offer but not sure of the details of it. Just a little worried we might be priced out of even these areas as market is going crazy. I can go about 30K higher and to try to get into a better school district but wonder if I should just wait it out or buy in an area like the west end. We have my 1 bedroom condo on the beltline. It is just my wife and 2 cats though room is getting tight even with the storage unit I have.
Unfortunately you must do more homework before putting due diligence down on a house.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:05 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,454,406 times
Quote:

What are you buying a home for if you have a nice place already?

I personally would be only looking at trading up all across the board, including everything you desire to have when you have a child. My list would include a safe neighborhood, parks, good schools etc.

I think you should keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or