U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:21 AM

23,381 posts, read 17,547,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I don't think the trail that runs along freedom parkway is what makes that area great. It would be just as popular and possibly even better off if none of the highway had been built. It certainly would have been worse if more of it got built.
Exactly, having a grid with tax paying homes and businesses would be better than a parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 03:59 PM

5,074 posts, read 3,299,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Your attached image is wrong. For one example, there is no ped crossing at the end of the tunnel. The roadway is elevated there and can't be crossed on foot.
It's the freakin' Beltline. Sorry, didn't realize we were talking about specifically walking on the road itself. I thought we were just trying to get from one side to the other, and in this case, without the road mattering at all.

Quote:
Most of your red dots represent automobile crossings that have no pedestrian connectivity to the path. If you're on foot or bike on the path, the only crossing that is accessible between Boulevard and the Carter Center is Highland Ave.
Again, I did not realize the specifics of our discussion here. You simply said "try walking across it". I marked out the nine spots where you can get from one side of that road to the other at either a crosswalk, path, or bridge. There should certainly be ramps from the path to Randolph and Highland. And why isn't there a ramp on the west side of the Beltline to the path? private property?

Sorry...I just don't see the "completely cut apart" neighborhoods. But, I guess my perspective is just a bit different.

Quote:
I don't think the trail that runs along freedom parkway is what makes that area great. It would be just as popular and possibly even better off if none of the highway had been built. It certainly would have been worse if more of it got built.
I guess. If you just want an endless grid of homes, sure. The parks and trails would likely not exist if the area hadn't been cleared. So, again, I guess it's all in what each person wants. Personally, I'd rather have some big park spaces and trails than endless grids of houses. It would appear that, through many of our discussions, that we are simply polar opposites. So be it. Again, if I could afford to live on the Freedom Parkway corridor, I'd move there tomorrow.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:14 PM

10,532 posts, read 7,507,853 times
"endless grid of homes [and businesses]"

Yes, that. A urban city is exactly what I and others want. Even with that spur of a highway it is still about the densest neighborhood in the metro. It would only be more so without it. Parks like Piedmont and Candler Park are great compliments to urban living. Freedom Parkway is not.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:42 AM

23,381 posts, read 17,547,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
It's the freakin' Beltline. Sorry, didn't realize we were talking about specifically walking on the road itself. I thought we were just trying to get from one side to the other, and in this case, without the road mattering at all.

Again, I did not realize the specifics of our discussion here. You simply said "try walking across it". I marked out the nine spots where you can get from one side of that road to the other at either a crosswalk, path, or bridge. There should certainly be ramps from the path to Randolph and Highland. And why isn't there a ramp on the west side of the Beltline to the path? private property?

Sorry...I just don't see the "completely cut apart" neighborhoods. But, I guess my perspective is just a bit different.

I guess. If you just want an endless grid of homes, sure. The parks and trails would likely not exist if the area hadn't been cleared. So, again, I guess it's all in what each person wants. Personally, I'd rather have some big park spaces and trails than endless grids of houses. It would appear that, through many of our discussions, that we are simply polar opposites. So be it. Again, if I could afford to live on the Freedom Parkway corridor, I'd move there tomorrow.
And endless grid of homes can still have parks and greenspace.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:01 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,062,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Exactly. Sam has painted himself into a corner and now has nothing to do but spout nonsense.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
True. Like Freedom Park!

Quote:
Exactly. Sam has painted himself into a corner and now has nothing to do but spout nonsense.
What? Because my opinion differs from yours? Sure thing, dude. I don't know what corner you think I've painted myself into, but I'm not trying to win anything. I'm stating that I quite like the Freedom Parkway area, would live there in a heartbeat, and I am not of the opinion that the parkway has killed the area. You like straight grid streets with homes. There is nothing to win or lose here.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,062,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

What? Because my opinion differs from yours? Sure thing, dude. I don't know what corner you think I've painted myself into, but I'm not trying to win anything. I'm stating that I quite like the Freedom Parkway area, would live there in a heartbeat, and I am not of the opinion that the parkway has killed the area. You like straight grid streets with homes. There is nothing to win or lose here.
The painted into a corner comment was in regard to the ridiculous notion that a street grid somehow prevents an area from having parks.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:45 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,476,703 times
Quote:
The painted into a corner comment was in regard to the ridiculous notion that a street grid somehow prevents an area from having parks.
But it's true! That's why old Savannah has no parks.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 AM

376 posts, read 195,840 times
Quote:
"endless grid of homes [and businesses]"

Yes, that. A urban city is exactly what I and others want. Even with that spur of a highway it is still about the densest neighborhood in the metro. It would only be more so without it. Parks like Piedmont and Candler Park are great compliments to urban living. Freedom Parkway is not.
An urban city needs more than an endless grid of homes and businesses. It needs a variety of ways to get around depending on the need. It needs streets and alleys but it also needs parkways and freeways.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that a grid couldn't have parks. A true grid can have a park the size of one block, or you can cut streets and make it bigger, like Central Park. Did you honestly think that I thought a street grid area can't have parks? I guess I should have been more clear with my "endless grids of houses" comment.

What I did say is that the big, long winding park over three miles long with winding bike trails and acres of public area likely wouldn't exist in a true grid system without cutting off streets, and that the only reason that area does exist (an area which I would love to have access to on a daily basis) is because the area was cleared, for better or worse.

I guess I should also clarify: one of the biggest reasons I love Atlanta is specifically because it's not an endless grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or