U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 03:06 PM

376 posts, read 196,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Christmas shopping season
July 4th
Sporting event
large convention
afternoon rush hour
presidential visit
snow/ice/rain storm
That is a lot more than 9 out of 10.
Seriously dude?

First of all good luck driving up Peachtree on July 4th with it being closed for the Road Race and all. Second of all these other days your talking about are pretty race occurences. How many presidential visits do we have every year? One or two maybe.

And finally even more important yeah the freeways are crowded at rush hours but guess what? The city streets aren't exactly wide open either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:12 PM

376 posts, read 196,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I am all for choice
Are you? You seem to want to wave your hand and make a whole bunch of freeways disappear.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide every choice for free to the end user. Some decisions have to be made and the reality is Atlanta focusing on car-only transportation has been a failure. All the highway expansions have made traffic worse and transportation is the top regional concern. The reality is that a major city cannot effectively and efficiently function with 90%+ trips made by car.
I agree. We need a lot more transit and a lot more walkable communities. I love transit! But the thing is we need a lot more of all types of transportation. We need more bikeways, more light rail, more streetcars, more heavy rail, and yes more freeways and more parkways. We need a balanced 'all-of-the-above' approach to transportation.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:24 PM

5,113 posts, read 3,318,828 times
Quote:
You wouldn't close them all overnight. Gradually so people have a chance to adjust / jobs move closer to people / people move closer to jobs.

Freedom Parkway could be closed overnight, probably Langford Parkway too. For the remaining highways ITP I would implement this over several years:
I'm betting the people in those neighborhoods would actually hate you as all that traffic was diverted to their neighborhoods.

Quote:
Turn all highways into toll roads. Gradually raise tolls and reduce capacity / lanes (as people divert to alternate transportation methods) until you get either enough money to fully cap and maintain the remaining smaller highway, or if you never get to that equilibrium (because more people switch to alternatives than pay the cost of the highway) then you just get rid of the highway entirely.
Okay. Well, this I can concede to: if we completely redesign all of the city's roads, completely redefine living options all over the city, coordinate the moving of companies to central locations, and install a multitude of alternate methods of moving around, then yes...we can get rid of the freeways. All we need to to is completely rebuild the city from scratch, and we're golden.

Quote:
I am fine with that. I don't drive much so the grid lock traffic will just make it easier for me to cross the street. Of course it will just result in many people finding alternate methods than driving. Once a road is at capacity you can't get any more so those people have to go somewhere.
If there are no transit options, then I guess walking or biking ten miles would be the only other options. Yeah, that makes sense.

Quote:
Atlanta has had a lot of success with things like Streets Alive entirely closing major streets.
You mean the one where they don't close most of the cross streets? Closing a couple of streets for a few hours on one Sunday afternoon is not close to proving anything.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide every choice for free to the end user. Some decisions have to be made and the reality is Atlanta focusing on car-only transportation has been a failure. All the highway expansions have made traffic worse and transportation is the top regional concern. The reality is that a major city cannot effectively and efficiently function with 90%+ trips made by car.
Yes. Btu you seem to be advocating just closing highways, and that even if there are no other transit options or if they came along 20 years from now, everything would just "work out". That's what people are having a problem with. Build the transit first

Quote:
It is time to reverse the trends. You will still have choices to get there by car, but they may become slightly more difficult so it is easier for many more to get there by foot / bike / and transit. The good news is that even if you still insist on driving all the time, this will benefit you as less people will be on the road.
Great! Make it easier to get somewhere by foot, bike, or transit, and then we can talk about getting rid of the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
I agree. We need a lot more transit and a lot more walkable communities. I love transit! But the thing is we need a lot more of all types of transportation. We need more bikeways, more light rail, more streetcars, more heavy rail, and yes more freeways and more parkways. We need a balanced 'all-of-the-above' approach to transportation.
I don't really think we need more big highways or more lanes. I think we need to get more alternative methods going. I'd love to see MARTA be ten times the size it is, with a slew of light rail to supplement. That would take a huge demand off the highways, and make them much more efficient. But, I don't see the highways ever going away.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:09 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,597,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Seminole is a whopping half mile from north end to south end. Walk. k
Your attempt at wit is duly noted, but my DESTINATION is on Seminole. Not my starting point as well.

But you also seem to have admitted that you don't understand even walking there is impossible--Freedom Parkway severed north-south pedestrian connections as well, meaning that if I did take your sincere suggestion to heart, it would still mean walking over to Highland to cross the parkway.

I'm not sure why you insist on such a hostile attitude when you clearly know so little about the road itself or its impact on the surrounding area. No one's trying to stop you from enjoying it; do you just need to have the last word? If so, be my guest.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Your attempt at wit is duly noted, but my DESTINATION is on Seminole. Not my starting point as well.

But you also seem to have admitted that you don't understand even walking there is impossible--Freedom Parkway severed north-south pedestrian connections as well, meaning that if I did take your sincere suggestion to heart, it would still mean walking over to Highland to cross the parkway.

I'm not sure why you insist on such a hostile attitude when you clearly know so little about the road itself or its impact on the surrounding area. No one's trying to stop you from enjoying it; do you just need to have the last word? If so, be my guest.
Oh, my god...you're right! It is literally impossible to walk to Seminole. I mean, without going all the way over to highland or Moreland!!! That's almost an additional five solid minutes of walking!!! I truly feel for you. I don't know how you cope.

Look, if you want to feel that this short road completely destroyed any ability for people in Inman park to be able to get anywhere and that the whole area is lost to history, then I will let you have that feeling. But I think you're going far, FAR overboard in your feelings of despair. The impact is that you live in a truly beautiful area, steps from midtown and downtown, with every amenity within walking distance that most people in this city would kill to have in a 20 minute car drive. Forgive me for not sharing your feelings of abject destruction.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:16 AM

10,590 posts, read 7,528,808 times
Sorry guys, doesn't work that way.

You can't have wide open limited access roads for cars everywhere and have great walkable, dense enviroment. There will never be an amount of walkability, transit, and density people like you are happy with if we keep our current level of dedication to cars. It is a sliding scale with those at opposite ends. The amount of land we have is finite and we have to make choices what we want to do with it rather it is space for pedestrains, transit, homes, businesses or cars. You have to choose. And we have spent to long focusing on cars.

Good news is we are finally slide the scale back towards walkability and taking back lanes from cars and giving them to walkers, bikers, and transit this November.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:32 AM

1,189 posts, read 803,593 times
Surprised that Seminole doesn't cross Freedumb Pkwy as a four way stop.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry guys, doesn't work that way.

You can't have wide open limited access roads for cars everywhere and have great walkable, dense enviroment. There will never be an amount of walkability, transit, and density people like you are happy with if we keep our current level of dedication to cars. It is a sliding scale with those at opposite ends. The amount of land we have is finite and we have to make choices what we want to do with it rather it is space for pedestrains, transit, homes, businesses or cars. You have to choose. And we have spent to long focusing on cars.

Good news is we are finally slide the scale back towards walkability and taking back lanes from cars and giving them to walkers, bikers, and transit this November.
To be fair, you can fit the entire peninsula of NYC from the southern tip of Manhattan, all the way up to Washington Heights, and all of its density, in the sliver bordered by the connector on the west, I-85 on the north, I-285 on the east, and Freedom Parkway/Hwy 78 on the south. We could have the density of NYC in between just one part of our existing highways.

We have plenty of room for huge swaths of walkable, dense environments. But honestly, I don't think anyone wants the entire city to be a concrete jungle.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:11 AM

10,590 posts, read 7,528,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
To be fair, you can fit the entire peninsula of NYC from the southern tip of Manhattan, all the way up to Washington Heights, and all of its density, in the sliver bordered by the connector on the west, I-85 on the north, I-285 on the east, and Freedom Parkway/Hwy 78 on the south. We could have the density of NYC in between just one part of our existing highways.

We have plenty of room for huge swaths of walkable, dense environments. But honestly, I don't think anyone wants the entire city to be a concrete jungle.
Yes, we don't need these giant slices of asphalt slicing up prime space in our city. A lot of the retired highways in other cities have turned the space back into productive buildings or nice parks.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, we don't need these giant slices of asphalt slicing up prime space in our city. A lot of the retired highways in other cities have turned the space back into productive buildings or nice parks.
Can you name any major, or even medium, city which has more open space not divided by freeways than Atlanta has. So far, I've compared NYC, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Houston, LA, San Francisco, Portland, Denver, Milwaukee, London, Seoul, Tokyo, and more. None of them have near the amount of space that Atlanta has without a freeway.

You might be able to take away freedom Parkway or possibly Langford Parkway, but to say that we could just get rid of our interstates because other cities have remove a mile of freeway is unfounded. I cannot find any city without freeways dividing it up less than Atlanta does.

I'm actually curious from a map nerd standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or