Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:18 PM
bu2

23,858 posts, read 14,640,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
I would love a true international terminal complex like that, but they just scrapped that part of the master plan:

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/8/21...onal-concourse
Doesn't sound like they are "scrapping" it, but instead, deferring it indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 06:24 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,620,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Doesn't sound like they are "scrapping" it, but instead, deferring it indefinitely.
Effectively, isn't that the same thing?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,394,059 times
Why don't people just tell it like it is? Atlanta sees its megopolis airport as a status symbol......something to brag about. "We have the busiest airport in the world". They obviously want to keep it that way, so let them keep adding to it and making it an even bigger mess than it already is. Yes, I lived there for 20 years....not that I needed to in order to understand their reluctance toward the 2nd airport that should have been built at least 2 decades ago.

I enjoyed my time in Atlanta very much and think it's a beautiful area, but it's also a blueprint for what not to do in correlation with infrastructure for a metro with a dizzying growth rate. Dallas/Ft. Worth, another former residence of mine, is a much better example of how to handle that. Roughly the same metro population (actually more) but significantly better roads/traffic and 2 major airports to choose between.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:55 PM

4,760 posts, read 5,387,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Why don't people just tell it like it is? Atlanta sees its megopolis airport as a status symbol......something to brag about. "We have the busiest airport in the world". They obviously want to keep it that way, so let them keep adding to it and making it an even bigger mess than it already is. Yes, I lived there for 20 years....not that I needed to in order to understand their reluctance toward the 2nd airport that should have been built at least 2 decades ago.

I enjoyed my time in Atlanta very much and think it's a beautiful area, but it's also a blueprint for what not to do in correlation with infrastructure for a metro with a dizzying growth rate. Dallas/Ft. Worth, another former residence of mine, is a much better example of how to handle that. Roughly the same metro population (actually more) but significantly better roads/traffic and 2 major airports to choose between.
No No No DFW metro has nearly two million more people than Atlanta. ATL is still the most efficient and well designed airport with its parallel terminals and runways. Furthermore it is more than a status symbol but a resource that have made Atlanta into an economic powerhouse. Moreover why would ATL need a second airport like Lovefield which is dominated by one carrier and want allow others to enter and compete with Southwest.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:38 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Effectively, isn't that the same thing?
No. These are 30-50 year plans.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:40 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
No No No DFW metro has nearly two million more people than Atlanta. ATL is still the most efficient and well designed airport with its parallel terminals and runways. Furthermore it is more than a status symbol but a resource that have made Atlanta into an economic powerhouse. Moreover why would ATL need a second airport like Lovefield which is dominated by one carrier and want allow others to enter and compete with Southwest.
Delta dominates ATL and doesn't want too much expansion that would allow others to compete. So Atlanta pays among the highest fares in the nation. The competition in Dallas leads to lower fares.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:42 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,620,093 times
Quote:
No. These are 30-50 year plans.
I get that it's in the plans, but plans change and by describing it as "deferring it indefinitely," that says to me it's not going to happen unless they change their mind.

But maybe I'm just being too negative.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:02 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I get that it's in the plans, but plans change and by describing it as "deferring it indefinitely," that says to me it's not going to happen unless they change their mind.

But maybe I'm just being too negative.
After the T gates and 2 apiece on B/C/D, there's noplace to go but G

Old 09-04-2018, 12:44 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,826,639 times
Quote:
Delta dominates ATL and doesn't want too much expansion that would allow others to compete. So Atlanta pays among the highest fares in the nation. The competition in Dallas leads to lower fares.
What competition? DFW is just as dominated by American as Hartsfield is by Delta, and they both have the same domestic Airlines minus Southwest.

Love Field is a Southwest stranglehold, and they've been suing to have Delta kicked out for several years now.

I'll take our setup, thank you.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:49 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,658,509 times
Q:- How big is International Passenger Traffic at Atlanta Airport ?

This is a crucial factor in design and expansion of the Airport.

Unlike Airports like Miami, JFK, Chicago, San Francisco- Atlanta receive fewer international flights and passengers. While other Airports invest more in international flights customs, immigration, security facilities-Atlanta is spared of that. They have more freedom to expand in their Domestic passenger transit facilities as a major hub for Delta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta