Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM
kwr kwr started this thread

254 posts, read 493,570 times

Advertisements

America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com

Atlanta is not on the list. Some suprises: Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles and Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
A couple of surprises on that list.

I wouldn't have expected Atlanta, even with its problems, to have been on a list when they used 150 cities to make comparisons. Charlotte was a bit of a surprise.

Now, redo that 10 years from now when our traffic and air quality are 30% worse than today due to continued growth, and I wouldn't be surprised if we make that list.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Hopefully with Bush out of office soon, cars will be running on hydrogen fuel cells 10 years from now and air quality will improve. I also think a lot of industry will move out into the surrounding region and that will have a positive affect on air quality as well.

Traffic on the other hand -- I don't really have high hopes for that. I think ATL will expand mass transit, but unless the state is really aggressive, it won't keep up with growth.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Hopefully with Bush out of office soon, cars will be running on hydrogen fuel cells 10 years from now and air quality will improve. I also think a lot of industry will move out into the surrounding region and that will have a positive affect on air quality as well.

Traffic on the other hand -- I don't really have high hopes for that. I think ATL will expand mass transit, but unless the state is really aggressive, it won't keep up with growth.
I'll be the first in line with the "hoorah" sign when Bush is gone, but believe it or not, he actually is the one who pushed the hydrogen car stuff ahead and put $$ into it lately. Of course, he did this while thinking about drilling for oil in national parks in Alaska... but hey, in his own way I guess that was progressive. LOL

Now before everyone gets a mental wood over hydrogen though, just think about it... what do hydrogen cars put out as exhaust? Water vapor. Sounds pretty environmentally sound, right? So, a few decades from now, what's going to happen to the environment when there are 5-7 billion cars on it that are putting out water vapor? Just something to think about. "Waterworld".

Electric cars that can recharge via solar energy while you're parked would be great, but those are two things that every single President have put on hold for decades - battery technology, and solar technology. No one has put much money into either of these technologies, and they're not much more further along than they were years ago. We need some leaders who will pump some $ into advancing these technologies as well.

Personally I would like to see diesel replaced by hydrogen. Big rigs, school buses, public transit buses, city ulility and emergency vehicles could all run on it, while the typical commuter would use electric vehicles that had built-in solar panels on the roof so they would charge while parked during sunny days. The rest of the charging would happen every time you brake, or in a case where the power is VERY low, you could resort to plugging it in.

There are lots of answers if the right leaders explore them, but I think it'll be foolish of them if they just push ONE technology. 5+ billion waters-spitting cars... it's gonna be a WET world. LOL

Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 AM

31 posts, read 126,049 times
Default Hydrogen Economy

Hydrogen must be produced from other sources of energy, such as oil, coal or solar power. In this sense, it isn't really a fuel - it's an energy storage technology. We do not even have enough renewable energy (hydroelectric, solar, wind)to generate electricity for every city in the world. A good part of these rely on fossil fuels. Where then are we going to get enough renewable energy to supply electricity needs AND create enough hydrogen to power all the cars in the world?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:23 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoeyes2001 View Post
Hydrogen must be produced from other sources of energy, such as oil, coal or solar power. In this sense, it isn't really a fuel - it's an energy storage technology. We do not even have enough renewable energy (hydroelectric, solar, wind)to generate electricity for every city in the world. A good part of these rely on fossil fuels. Where then are we going to get enough renewable energy to supply electricity needs AND create enough hydrogen to power all the cars in the world?
Don't be such a party-pooper by clouding the hydrogen-car excitement with facts- next you'll be telling me that you don't think flying cars will come into reality in the next decade just because people are too stupid to drive correctly in two dimensions, yet alone three.....lol.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoeyes2001 View Post

Nuclear reactors can be a substitute.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 AM

31 posts, read 126,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Don't be such a party-pooper by clouding the hydrogen-car excitement with facts- next you'll be telling me that you don't think flying cars will come into reality in the next decade just because people are too stupid to drive correctly in two dimensions, yet alone three.....lol.
Ok We will have hydrogen cars but not in next decade.. pro forma

Old 02-11-2008, 10:25 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Good news is... Bush WILL be out of office soon. It's who's next up we need to worry about...

Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A couple of surprises on that list.

I wouldn't have expected Atlanta, even with its problems, to have been on a list when they used 150 cities to make comparisons. Charlotte was a bit of a surprise.

Now, redo that 10 years from now when our traffic and air quality are 30% worse than today due to continued growth, and I wouldn't be surprised if we make that list.
The reason Charlotte made the list is because of traffic & crime. I use to live in Atlanta & DC and know traffic. Charlotte has gridlock traffic too. Charlotte's 1st line of Light Rail opened Nov 2007. It is gonna take years & millions of dollars to have 4-5 additinal lines added. It is not gonna be just a nort-south & east-west like Marta. I think Charlotte is learning from Atlanta's mistake.

Crime & murders is on the rise (growing pains). There have been close to 20 murders so far this year (mostly gang & drug related). Still over all a great city...isolated areas...stay out of!

Charlotte is not that small anymore. About 750,000 in city limits and almost 2.5 million in metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: