U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
There is a clear reason to do so. A lot of that industrial land would be valuable to the city coffers and there is also some newer residential areas that could be brought in. These two reasons are two of the most important reasons for any annexation anywhere. These are some of the reasons that other cities in the metro have annexed willy-nilly. But for some reason when Atlanta wants to add anything to it's territory, it's some big federal case that requires court cases and rulings, Assembly bills and approval, and referendums where the opponents wage total warfare public campaigns against it. This silly bias is insane.
There have been a bunch of annexations by the CoA over the past year that haven't been an issue.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:27 AM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
There is a clear reason to do so. A lot of that industrial land would be valuable to the city coffers and there is also some newer residential areas that could be brought in. These two reasons are two of the most important reasons for any annexation anywhere.
If an annexation is shown to be revenue positive for the COA then it should be considered.

Otherwise we need to focus intensely on the many large areas we already have that are in need of improvement and redevelopment. A high percentage of our population is living at or below the poverty line and many sections of the city have suffered from major disinvestment and population loss. We've also got significant problems to solve with infrastructure, schools, pensions, crime, water, etc.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:30 AM

5,777 posts, read 4,541,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why so? I'm not challenging you, just asking.
I think having Camp Creek as a border would provide a "neat" border for the COA. Also it would entail the Fulton Industrial Blvd corridor which would provide added revenue for the city.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 AM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I think having Camp Creek as a border would provide a "neat" border for the COA. Also it would entail the Fulton Industrial Blvd corridor which would provide added revenue for the city.
The additional tax revenue I can appreciate, although Fulton may not be happy about losing it.

But I don't understand what's important about having a "neat" border.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hm. Many (if not most) cities have "funky borders."

I'm not seeing how that helps or hurts the ATL. We have a lot of challenges in our city and we don't need to be annexing new territory unless there's a clear reason to do so.
Its absolutely ridiculous for providing services. The Senate and House should not allow this to go forward. Nothing wrong with a reasonable one to go forward, but these lines are not reasonable.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 AM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
There is a clear reason to do so. A lot of that industrial land would be valuable to the city coffers and there is also some newer residential areas that could be brought in. These two reasons are two of the most important reasons for any annexation anywhere. These are some of the reasons that other cities in the metro have annexed willy-nilly. But for some reason when Atlanta wants to add anything to it's territory, it's some big federal case that requires court cases and rulings, Assembly bills and approval, and referendums where the opponents wage total warfare public campaigns against it. This silly bias is insane.
You haven't been paying attention. Every city is having difficulty doing annexation by referendum.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 AM

3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times
As an actual resident of South Fulton I would vote yes. I'm tired of the mediocre service provided by Fulton county and College Park and Union City aren't interested in annexation residential areas. South Funny would also need some kind of tax base which is why Fulton Industrial would be needed in the new city. (Not to mention APS schools are horrible but probably not as bad as Fulton Co).

Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,726,205 times
Quote:
“It’s always good when the will of the people has a chance to move forward,” said Sen. John Albers, R-Roswell, the committee’s chairman.
What a snake. Hypocritical and pandering; how surprising.

Anyway, while I would like the area to be taken over by CoA, I would rather the citizens choose whether or not to be.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times
South Fulton cityhood moves one step closer; passes out of Senate | www.ajc.com

Bill passed in the Senate. Now on to the house to vote.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:33 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
What a snake. Hypocritical and pandering; how surprising.

Anyway, while I would like the area to be taken over by CoA, I would rather the citizens choose whether or not to be.
If they don't fix the boundaries of all of the existing cities there, it's going to be a huge mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or