Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 10:52 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I totally get those concerns for residential areas, demonta4.

I was actually wondering more particularly why the Fulton Industrial area would want to become part of a city. Is it advantageous for industrial/warehousing areas to be in a city as opposed to an unincorporated county?
From what I've seen, that area wants to stay unincorporated, but they probably know the time is coming for them to incorporate. It's just a choice on whether they incorporate into a new city or annex into Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:17 PM

17 posts, read 15,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
From what I've seen, that area wants to stay unincorporated, but they probably know the time is coming for them to incorporate. It's just a choice on whether they incorporate into a new city or annex into Atlanta.
I wonder why everyone keeps framing this as a Atlanta vs. South Fulton issue.

Atlanta is not the only city receiving annexation petitions from registered voters and property owners.

Chattahoochee Hills, College Park, and Union City are also annexing; and the land these cities are bringing into their borders are extremely valuable commercial properties.

The 309 combined acres of land being annexed by Union City and College Park will cost south Fulton, according to the Fulton County Planning and Community Services staff analysis, $176,698.78 in property tax revenue. That does not include any other annual fees Fulton County receives from businesses operating on that property.

Quite frankly, I would give away the residential areas in exchange for keeping the commercial areas.

But something tells me that has yet to cross the mind of the so-called "People's Campaign" for the City of South Fulton. These folks just want to create new government, at any cost, so they and their buddies can build their bank accounts on the backs of the tax payers.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:29 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Fulton Facts View Post
But something tells me that has yet to cross the mind of the so-called "People's Campaign" for the City of South Fulton. These folks just want to create new government, at any cost, so they and their buddies can build their bank accounts on the backs of the tax payers.
Especially when half of the land area that they want to form a city in, are a bunch of little islands that are LITERALLY SURROUNDED by other cities. Those residents/businesses would be better served by the existing cities rather than by a new city, that they would not even be connected to.

Now, the large contiguous unincorporated area along the river, far away from the other cities, that's different. That should be a new city.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Atlanta is not the only city receiving annexation petitions from registered voters and property owners.

Chattahoochee Hills, College Park, and Union City are also annexing; and the land these cities are bringing into their borders are extremely valuable commercial properties.

The 309 combined acres of land being annexed by Union City and College Park will cost south Fulton, according to the Fulton County Planning and Community Services staff analysis, $176,698.78 in property tax revenue. That does not include any other annual fees Fulton County receives from businesses operating on that property.

Quite frankly, I would give away the residential areas in exchange for keeping the commercial areas.

Fulton Industrial is not being annexed by Union City, College Park, or Fairburn. Did you even read my reply?

Old 05-28-2016, 05:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Fulton Industrial is not being annexed by Union City, College Park, or Fairburn. Did you even read my reply?
He didn't mention the FIB corridor in that post.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
He didn't mention the FIB corridor in that post.
He was replying to my post where I mentioned that Fulton Industrial is choosing between annexing or incorporation. Again, actually read my post.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:57 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
One of the main reasons why the Fulton Industrial Boulevard corridor should be Atlanta is the fact the City of Atlanta owns various parcels along the corridor itself and has for years. Anything owned by the City of Atlanta, Atlanta Development Authority (Invest Atlanta), or Atlanta Public Schools (APS) and contiguous to the city proper should be annexed.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:54 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Are you sure? I cannot think of one major annexation of residential areas by the legislature without voter approval. It is easier to incorporate undeveloped areas or commercial areas, but large scale residential areas? It maybe on the books but I cannot think of a single example statewide by legislative action. Not a single one.
I think you misinterpreted what I said. The legislature can authorize a vote by residents on whether or not to be annexed. Chamblee has had several and more than doubled its size when those referendums passed. Clarkston has had a couple. Doraville has had a couple, although I think they failed.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:56 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:

The original bill called for an outrageous salary for the mayor. However, I think it got amended down to a more reasonable figure.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think you misinterpreted what I said. The legislature can authorize a vote by residents on whether or not to be annexed. Chamblee has had several and more than doubled its size when those referendums passed. Clarkston has had a couple. Doraville has had a couple, although I think they failed.
Isn't that what the previous poster mentioned to which my comment was made? It takes more effort under Georgia state law for an unincorporated residential area to be annexed into an established city than it does to create a new city. A simple majority can create a new city, the annexation route requires the 60% or 90% rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta