Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 06:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,799,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Looks like there's now an unincorporated, disconnected island northeast of this area, the small Lake Niskey subdivision. So if those folks don't very quickly move to annex into the city they're now surrounded by, they will become legally subject to becoming part of South Fulton, if it passes. Which, is ridiculous.

Likewise, the Cascade corridor/unincorporated peninsula might end up where the Publix and the OTP section of it annex into Atlanta, but that small unincorporated ITP square with the Kroger does not. So that's going to end up 2 miles from the rest of South Fulton, a little isolated enclave island of a different city? Just... weird.
You can thank the state legislature for passing ridiculous annexation laws to prevent Atlanta from annexing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:06 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,223,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I think it's actually a (barely) little peninsula. Still ridiculous though.
Ah, a sliver there, yeah. My bad. It's only going to be 97% surrounded by Atlanta.

You'd think South Fulton could be reasonable about this, and let some of these tiny, non-commercial neighborhoods along the border remain unincorporated for now, give them a year or so to choose which city they want to annex into.

Either that, or, an unbiased 3rd party arbitrator should come in to the picture and just draw up logical borders for this whole area.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:12 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,476,051 times
It's becoming more and more obvious this South Fulton municipality will have a hard time of passage because of the recent changes. Fulton County Commission has voted to block (although it does not stop the annexation process from occurring) annexations of Atlanta, Union City, and College Park.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:03 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,099,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
It's becoming more and more obvious this South Fulton municipality will have a hard time of passage because of the recent changes. Fulton County Commission has voted to block (although it does not stop the annexation process from occurring) annexations of Atlanta, Union City, and College Park.
They can smell their impending irrelevancy.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:12 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
So how does this affect the current annexations? Do they get to continue, but new ones can't?

Old 06-07-2016, 11:49 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
They can smell their impending irrelevancy.
Wouldn't it be in their best interest to let these annexations go through. If they don't chances are South Fulton will pass and the commission will lose there powers over the unincorporated areas.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:30 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Wouldn't it be in their best interest to let these annexations go through. If they don't chances are South Fulton will pass and the commission will lose there powers over the unincorporated areas.
I wouldn't be too surprised if the county was pulling favors for those setting themselves up to be the City of South Fulton leaders...

Old 06-07-2016, 05:32 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,476,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
So how does this affect the current annexations? Do they get to continue, but new ones can't?
It doesn't affect it at all. DCA would appoint an objective arbitrary panel that would recommend a set of stipulations that would be valid for one year to date after the annexations.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:23 PM

146 posts, read 134,151 times
I don't know if I want Unincorporated to become it's own city, or part of Atlanta. I just know I like the fact that I can have my chickens and my goats and no one says a word about it. I need more info on how this would affect our zoning, but can't seem to find anything.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:58 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,824,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK314 View Post
I don't know if I want Unincorporated to become it's own city, or part of Atlanta. I just know I like the fact that I can have my chickens and my goats and no one says a word about it. I need more info on how this would affect our zoning, but can't seem to find anything.
I would think Chattahoochee Hills would be the most chicken/goat friendly option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta