Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:35 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I don't see anyone proposing solutions, just criticizing.
See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
---

The point is, it'd be nice if this was a more dense instalation. Not even without the ability to park / drive-up to it, but part of something a bit more useful of the space than a single restaurant. Maybe something to compliment the Clairmont redevelopment, or the Kroger redevelopment. It just seems kinda odd that so much is densifying, while this isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 07:28 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Nope. Ponce is a neighborhood street that happens to connect DeKalb and downtown/midtown. DeKalb commuters are going to have to divorce themselves from the idea that every east-west street in the city of Atlanta belongs to them.
10-15% of Atlantans live in DeKalb County. And Atlanta has some plans to annex a whole lot more.

And a lot of Atlanta people work in CDC/Emory.

If Atlanta wants to cut off DeKalb and other counties, businesses will move out of Atlanta and move to where there is access like the AJC did when it moved to Dunwoody.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:28 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Hahaha conservative Chick Fil Lay next to the Clermont Lounge. Lets make that a combo #5
Good point, LOL

I hope they make it a 24 hour location

Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
10-15% of Atlantans live in DeKalb County. And Atlanta has some plans to annex a whole lot more.

And a lot of Atlanta people work in CDC/Emory.

If Atlanta wants to cut off DeKalb and other counties, businesses will move out of Atlanta and move to where there is access like the AJC did when it moved to Dunwoody.
That still doesn't justify to blocking Ponce de Leon Avenue from becoming a more pedestrian-oriented, cyclist friendly corridor. The City of Atlanta is about to begin drafting its density plan and it will continue to implement traffic calming measures along all corridors to allow higher quality urban design.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:45 AM

770 posts, read 603,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I don't think they're moving solely on PCM and the Beltline. They're moving because they probably want to be closer to work and that's just a nicer area now. I haven't heard anyone saying, gosh, I just need to be on the Beltline.
Actually I've heard almost that exact quote from people in my building a few other friends who had people move from their buildings in Midtown, cause they wanted to be closer to PCM and the Beltline.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 AM

770 posts, read 603,776 times
On a side note, there is rumor CFA was moving into southern Midtown too, potentially the building being built across from Midtown MARTA, which of course wouldn't have drive-thru and they already have one in Colony Square.

Two things, one, this isn't that far from the Ponce one, though I'll give and say it's far enough. But why should Midtown be that much different, is it a bit more walkable now, sure, but within 5 years this will change in the direct area where this proposal is being dropped.

If they want one on Ponce perhaps move further down the street, beyond the Moe's and not right on top the Beltline, but of course I doubt the appeal is for that, cause they want it to be walkable from the Beltline AND cars, yet don't want to make it a walkable CFA.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:07 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
On a side note, there is rumor CFA was moving into southern Midtown too, potentially the building being built across from Midtown MARTA, which of course wouldn't have drive-thru and they already have one in Colony Square.

Two things, one, this isn't that far from the Ponce one, though I'll give and say it's far enough. But why should Midtown be that much different, is it a bit more walkable now, sure, but within 5 years this will change in the direct area where this proposal is being dropped.

If they want one on Ponce perhaps move further down the street, beyond the Moe's and not right on top the Beltline, but of course I doubt the appeal is for that, cause they want it to be walkable from the Beltline AND cars, yet don't want to make it a walkable CFA.
I disagree that the presence of a drive-thru precludes it from being walkable, especially in this case where the front of the restaurant is zero-lot-lined onto Ponce. The curb cut on Ponce is a different story though.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:22 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I disagree that the presence of a drive-thru precludes it from being walkable, especially in this case where the front of the restaurant is zero-lot-lined onto Ponce. The curb cut on Ponce is a different story though.
I have to agree. This may not be 5th Avenue style urban but it's a reasonable compromise under current conditions.

It reminds me of the Chick Fil A in Buckhead which is on the street with the parking in back. That one will shortly become part of a larger and more urban redevelopment. The same thing will happen on Ponce as the market there evolves.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8070...7i13312!8i6656

One of the earlier posts referred to the urban CFA at Terminus. That's another good example of market evolution. Many of us can remember when there was a Buick dealer on that corner.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:26 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Having the parking in the back gives you the "look" while still leaving it commercially viable.

Midtown you might be able to do something like some of you want, but it is not in the least feasible on Ponce. There is not anywhere near the density needed. Basically you would preclude the vast majority of retail with those requirements.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:04 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Also good luck trying to turn on Ponce when leaving. Its already extremely difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta