U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,641,268 times

Advertisements

As someone who would patronize this place relatively frequently, I welcome this addition of reasonably priced high quality food for this area. We have enough $12 sandwich places for the time being. Gentrification needs some competition.

With that said, it shouldn't be allowed to have a drive thru. There is plenty of foot traffic in the area and it will grow exponentially in the near future. A parking lot is fine, but a drive thru encourages "thru" traffic to stop by. This restaurant should serve the immediate area and not commuters. It's not like there is anything wrong with serving commuters, it's just that this area is not appropriate for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:57 PM

649 posts, read 361,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I know it's probably beyond the reach of this avenue at this point. However, I tend to come down on the side of those who want to reduce this type of development wherever we can. This road is too close to the center to "just" be a commuter route for DeKalb. I think it can be both.
This is the critical point above, this road, and Ponce City Market are way too close to the center/urban core for a suburban style CFA to be there, if they want in, they should be at the base of a midrise density in the area.

It's not there yet, but within 5 years this area will be very different and it will stick out like a sore thumb. People are already moving to Ponce area because of PCM. Atlanta needs to get back to improving it's core and forcing them to alter this for what Atlanta should be in the future instead of what it is right now would be a good first step, stop the suburbanization of areas just blocks from the core.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:17 PM

8,326 posts, read 10,276,100 times
Quote:
People are already moving to Ponce area because of PCM
They are?

Imagine how stupid they'll feel when they realize they made a move to be close to a West Elm and an art store. You can do that pretty much anywhere.

I don't think anybody is moving in because of PCM.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:39 AM

23,418 posts, read 17,576,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
As someone who would patronize this place relatively frequently, I welcome this addition of reasonably priced high quality food for this area. We have enough $12 sandwich places for the time being. Gentrification needs some competition.

With that said, it shouldn't be allowed to have a drive thru. There is plenty of foot traffic in the area and it will grow exponentially in the near future. A parking lot is fine, but a drive thru encourages "thru" traffic to stop by. This restaurant should serve the immediate area and not commuters. It's not like there is anything wrong with serving commuters, it's just that this area is not appropriate for that.
Exactly why the CFA should be located at the ground floor of a mid-rise development and not a stand alone, suburban store with parking and drive thru.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:41 AM

23,418 posts, read 17,576,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
So do you boycott Krispy Kreme as well or do you only have objections to development by businesses whose owners you disagree with?
If they were building a new KK, then it should not be a stand alone store. My issue here is not with the corporation, but the design.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:32 AM

5,443 posts, read 3,838,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Something similar happened in the heart of Birmingham's urban core in its Five Points South district about 5 years ago with a Chick-fil-A proposal and the citizens fought it tooth and nail until the design changed to more urban-oriented with parking in the rear, front the street directly, and pedestrian-friendly with a large outdoor terrace. You guys might want to contact those from Birmingham and find out what and how they did it...
That's basically what this plan is.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:46 AM

10,576 posts, read 7,523,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
They are?

Imagine how stupid they'll feel when they realize they made a move to be close to a West Elm and an art store. You can do that pretty much anywhere.

I don't think anybody is moving in because of PCM.
Yes, actually thousands of people are moving to the area because of Beltline and PCM. If you haven't noticed there is much more to PCM than "West Elm and an art store". PCM and the Beltline is packed basically every weekend.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 AM

283 posts, read 281,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yes, actually thousands of people are moving to the area because of Beltline and PCM. If you haven't noticed there is much more to PCM than "West Elm and an art store". PCM and the Beltline is packed basically every weekend.
I don't think they're moving solely on PCM and the Beltline. They're moving because they probably want to be closer to work and that's just a nicer area now. I haven't heard anyone saying, gosh, I just need to be on the Beltline.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:03 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,596,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
There is literally a place you can get a $6 chicken sandwich like a couple of blocks down the street. You can park for free and be in and out in 10 minutes. It's at Ponce City Market. I don't understand why people keep perpetuating the myth that everything at a mixed-use development costs 2x what it does everywhere else.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:06 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,596,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Ponce is a major thoroughfare connecting DeKalb and Atlanta. There are really just 4-LaVista-Lindberg ending at Lindberg, Ponce going downtown, DeKalb Avenue going downtown and Memorial Drive going to south downtown.
Nope. Ponce is a neighborhood street that happens to connect DeKalb and downtown/midtown. DeKalb commuters are going to have to divorce themselves from the idea that every east-west street in the city of Atlanta belongs to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or