Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:10 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I have not driven in Southern California, but I have heard NYC traffic put on the same level. I personally was not stressed at all in NYC aside from nobody really respecting the lanes.

I used to get like WTF here when there was a delay and thought an explanation should have been provided on the side of the road. I've been backed up so many time now that I don't even care and wouldn't take the time to read it.

I will say that outside of the rush hours, traffic is OK here, but most of the time most people are trying to get anywhere is during those hours which I guess why they call it rush hour. If I had children, it would severely limit where I was willing to live and work.
I agree, I think NYC is infinitely worse than Atlanta traffic. Especially on the BQE, 678, the George Washington Bridge, and on Staten Island. It really is mind-numbingly horrible. Especially in a city like that, I can't imagine why anybody chooses to drive to work and sit in that traffic. I'd rather my 1.5 hour commute to go 12 miles on the subway than sitting in traffic any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:22 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
We're #96! https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/trafficindex/list

TomTom's latest traffic index puts Atlanta #96 worldwide and #13 in the US.

However morning peak hour's 45% delay is #8 behind only (in their overall ranking order in the US) LA-60%, SF-54%, NYC-49%, Seattle-53%, San Jose-58%, Honolulu-52% and Miami-48%. Evening peak with 60% delay is #11 behind LA-81%, Seattle-75%, San Jose-74%, San Francisco-69%, Houston-66%, Baton Rouge-63%, Honolulu-62%, Portland-62%, New York-61% and Nashville-61%.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:01 PM

246 posts, read 316,223 times
LA 405 and 105 traffic means you will miss your flight every damn time. Happened to me. Awful. Left an hour ahead of time on a Sunday afternoon and still missed the plane.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:19 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
LA 405 and 105 traffic means you will miss your flight every damn time. Happened to me. Awful. Left an hour ahead of time on a Sunday afternoon and still missed the plane.
Ok, you have to leave a lot earlier than an hour ahead of time and I'm not even familiar with the area. Depending on where I depart, it can take an hour to get to the freeway that would start to get me to the airport so don't do that no more.

Still, I will say that sounds like heavy traffic for a Sunday. How far were you from the airport if there was nobody on the road but you aka Gmaps estimate?

Old 03-24-2016, 08:45 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I grew up in the Los Angeles area and was just there this past weekend. I will gladly take Atlanta traffic over Southern California traffic any day of the week. I think I was desensitized to it when I lived there, but as a visitor there were way too many "Why in the [expletive] are we stopped?" moments for my tastes, especially outside of rush hour.
I read an article a while back titled "20 Things You Know Only If You Live in LA" (or something close to that). One of the top points was "The 405"- "Why is traffic at a dead halt? Because it's 1pm on a Tuesday! (or any other time)". In other words, it simply stops for no reason or any reason at all.

I visit my cousin in LA a few times per year. I've started flying into Burbank if I can get a direct (one-stop but no plane change) flight and it doesn't add more than 90 minutes to my trip time. It's a much easier and (consistently) quicker drive to Woodland Hills than from LAX. Not to mention it's much quicker to navigate through the airport.

It's kind of funny, but I used to 'try' to plan my flights to avoid the worst traffic getting to the ATL airport (I live about 65 miles north up I-75/I-575). I also tried to avoid arriving in LA during the worst traffic. I finally realized that both attempts were futile (and crazy-making)! =)

Old 03-30-2016, 12:04 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
We're #96! https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/trafficindex/list

TomTom's latest traffic index puts Atlanta #96 worldwide and #13 in the US.

However morning peak hour's 45% delay is #8 behind only (in their overall ranking order in the US) LA-60%, SF-54%, NYC-49%, Seattle-53%, San Jose-58%, Honolulu-52% and Miami-48%. Evening peak with 60% delay is #11 behind LA-81%, Seattle-75%, San Jose-74%, San Francisco-69%, Houston-66%, Baton Rouge-63%, Honolulu-62%, Portland-62%, New York-61% and Nashville-61%.
Atlanta's traffic is ridiculously exaggerated.

Here's another comment on the TomTom report.

On list of most traffic-clogged cities, Atlanta ranks 13 out of 20 worst - BuckheadView

Old 03-30-2016, 04:56 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Atlanta's traffic is ridiculously exaggerated.

Here's another comment on the TomTom report.

On list of most traffic-clogged cities, Atlanta ranks 13 out of 20 worst - BuckheadView
Arjay, I don't find the traffic un Atanta city proper that bad. Yeah, you sometimes have to wait a bit to get through a traffic light or get on an interstate.

Cobb and Gwinnett are traffic nightmares though, and maybe it's people who have to commute there that do the most griping. It's literally bad so I would give thumbs up on the complaints.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:33 PM

244 posts, read 168,814 times
Its pretty horrible in Gwinnett. Jimmy Carter or pleasent hill are nightmares at peak times its even become bad on sat and sun. The actually city of atlanta traffic isnt all that bad unless theres some event taking place.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:07 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
Its pretty horrible in Gwinnett. Jimmy Carter or pleasent hill are nightmares at peak times its even become bad on sat and sun. The actually city of atlanta traffic isnt all that bad unless theres some event taking place.
They spent all that time fixing Jimmy Carter and the traffic flow is still the same as before the diamond.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:16 PM

244 posts, read 168,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
They spent all that time fixing Jimmy Carter and the traffic flow is still the same as before the diamond.

Yeah a complete waste of $$ it actually made traffic worse as the one on pleasent hill is just as useless. Its really a poor design/ideal for that highway way too many lights right before the overpass which just backsup more traffic. IMO a better design would have been just a streght thru with lanes allowing cars to merge onto 85. All of the stop lights are the main problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta