Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:20 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times

Advertisements

How Atlanta Decided It Can’t Out Suburb the Suburbs

Good article. The city of Atlanta has suffered for decades by trying to "Out Suburb the Suburbs" and imposing restrictive SFH only zoning, large setbacks, parking minimums. CoA thrives by offering metro Atlantans a real alternative to car dependency and sprawl. People want real urban / car-free lifestyle options and we will suffer as a region if we don't provide that choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:55 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Thanks for link, jsvh. Funny enough, the following popped up while I was reading the article. Pretty interesting in and of itself.

What if City-Loving Millennials Are Just a Myth? - The Urban Edge

Old 03-18-2016, 09:32 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
A big part of it is that developers can't keep going out. The current limit was supported because a lot of jobs moved to places like Windward and that allowed people to live in Forsyth and Dawson counties. Companies aren't moving farther out, so there won't be a push to sprawl a bit farther.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Thanks for link, jsvh. Funny enough, the following popped up while I was reading the article. Pretty interesting in and of itself.

That's what I got as well. Looks like pretty much nobody pretty much minds a good amount of space in their abode and the majority of millennials are not spring chickens anymore.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:26 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:

If cities really want to retain young people it will be mandatory to make urban schools attractive. That's by no means a hopeless quest but it will take some work.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:50 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If cities really want to retain young people it will be mandatory to make urban schools attractive. That's by no means a hopeless quest but it will take some work.
Well, really that should be done anyway for the sake of everyone.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:04 PM

371 posts, read 456,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Preach! I keep telling people... it could never matter how many young adults move to the city if they all leave once they start a family. Coffee shops and shiny tall buildings and bike lanes are all fine, but we need to focus on these inner city schools in order to retain families! Families that live in the city will spend in the city. Isn't that a good investment for a city's future? Don't the children who are already in city schools deserve better?

Old 03-18-2016, 12:30 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:

An important thing to note on this is that purchasing a home only has a bit to do with where you want to live. I would love to live in the city's core, but I will have a hard time affording any of the housing stock by the time I get close to wanting to buy.

If I can only really afford to buy in the suburbs (if the West and South sides gentrify as they are expected to), then that's the only place I can afford to buy, no matter how much I WANT to stay in the city.

Quote:
It’s well-known Millennials are delaying childbirth and marriage, in part due to financial reasons. Housing might follow a similar pattern.

“People can’t buy houses, so they’re staying in these apartments,” Myers said during a presentation in Houston earlier this month. “The whole system’s backed up. It’s not pretty.”

In other words, the trend we’re seeing might not be Millennials enamored with living in urban centers. It may be that those who flocked there in previous years now lack the wherewithal to leave, even though they want to do so.
This sort of touches on it, though I'd argue that there's been rise in rent prices due to the demand from people trying to live in the city.

Quote:
Those young people aren’t trying to become gentrifiers. Their circumstances are forcing them to find the best housing they can on very little income.
Exactly, prices are determining where people can live, even if they don't want to be there. This is not at all new, but is dangerous when you have a generation having to spend far higher percentages of their income to get housing. Either we need to find a way to balance our affordable housing stock, or people will move out even if they don't want to.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:39 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Exactly, prices are determining where people can live, even if they don't want to be there. This is not at all new, but is dangerous when you have a generation having to spend far higher percentages of their income to get housing. Either we need to find a way to balance our affordable housing stock, or people will move out even if they don't want to.
True. I live in town in a little townhouse, and we want to move to something a little bigger in town. But unless you're ready to spend well over $400,000, you're not getting anything worthwhile in any decent area in the north half of town. We'll probably have to go out to Mabelton, more northern Smyrna, or other areas of Cobb.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:04 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
True. I live in town in a little townhouse, and we want to move to something a little bigger in town. But unless you're ready to spend well over $400,000, you're not getting anything worthwhile in any decent area in the north half of town. We'll probably have to go out to Mabelton, more northern Smyrna, or other areas of Cobb.
My line of work is one of the better compensated lines, and even I won't really be able to afford anything not in pre-gentrified neighborhoods (I've seriously thought about doing this if I can find work in town). That's unless I'd want to take on a very large debt on top of my existing post-school debt.

Or I could rent, again in pre-gentrified areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta