Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:47 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,123,701 times

Advertisements

I wonder how much of chance does Atlanta have of getting the NBA to move this game?

Quote:
The Atlanta City Council is asking the NBA to move the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte to Atlanta after the North Carolina General Assembly passed House Bill 2, repealing portions of Charlotte's non-discrimination ordinance.

During a committee hearing on Tuesday, the resolution was introduced in Atlanta. It invites the NBA to consider relocating the 2017 NBA All-Star Weekend "due to the passage of House Bill 2, a measure that discriminates against members of the LGBT community."

Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry dunks the ball during the NBA All-Star game Feb. 14, 2016 in Toronto. Charlotte will host the 2017 NBA All-Star game, but Atlanta is lobbying the NBA to move the game there after the passage of House Bill 2 last week. Mark Blinch AP
The bill was signed into North Carolina law last week after a special session was held.

The day after the bill was signed, the National Basketball Association (NBA) speculated that the bill might affect the Queen City hosting the 2017 All-Star Game. It’s scheduled to be held on Sunday, February 17.

"The NBA is dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for all who attend our games and events," the organization said in a release via Twitter.

"We are deeply concerned that this discriminatory law runs counter to our guiding principles of equality and mutual respect and do not yet know what impact it will have on our ability to successfully host the 2017 All-Star Game in Charlotte," the statement continued.

The Queen City won the bid to host the All-Star Game in June 2015. One month later, the city formally committed to spending $600,000 in general tax dollars to host the event. The total incentive package for the All-Star Game is about $5.9 million, according to WBTV's news partner The Charlotte Observer.

“The City of Atlanta draws strength from our diverse community,” said Atlanta Council President Ceasar Mitchell. “This unity creates our city's embracing spirit, a quality that has made Atlanta the destination of choice for numerous international business conventions, professional and college sporting events, as well as one of the largest concentrations of Fortune 500 companies in the nation. We would certainly welcome the opportunity to show that very spirit as the host of the 2017 NBA All-Star Weekend.”

"Atlanta is a vibrant, energetic city that would be an outstanding host to the 2017 NBA All-Star Weekend,” chairman Andre Dickens said. “As the home to the civil and human rights movement, our diverse set of people and businesses welcome this global event with open arms.”

Read more here: Atlanta calls for NBA to move All-Star Game from Charlotte | The Charlotte Observer
Atlanta calls for NBA to move All-Star Game from Charlotte | The Charlotte Observer

Old 03-29-2016, 04:52 PM

10,733 posts, read 13,277,734 times
But for one veto, Georgia would be no different.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:54 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,179,487 times
We just very barely narrowly avoided having an anti-gay law pass here as well. Not sure that we're in a strong position to say "hey, come here, we're tolerant as opposed to those guys!"

Pro sports should definitely boycott North Carolina, but have your events in actually enlightened states. We don't deserve it.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:58 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,725,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
We just very barely narrowly avoided having an anti-gay law pass here as well. Not sure that we're in a strong position to say "hey, come here, we're tolerant as opposed to those guys!"

Pro sports should definitely boycott North Carolina, but have your events in actually enlightened states. We don't deserve it.
ATLANTA shouldn't be held liable for the backwood thinking of politicians outside Atlanta. I shouldnt be held liable for the actions of my crackhead cousin

Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 PM

560 posts, read 662,927 times
Quote:

At first, I felt the same way. Like, 'hey guys, maybe now's the time for a little reflection since we came way too close to being this cautionary tale ourselves.'

But now I'm thinking we should go after it. If NC loses it, it'll be plain to see why. If GA picks it up, it will also be plain to see why. With it being so obvious, perhaps it'll discourage GA legislators from pursuing similar RF bills next year and beyond. Lost revenue in action, not in theory.

Or, then again, the folks who supported this legislation might not care about the NBA for other...um, reasons.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:56 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,979,875 times
Quote:

Sure, we should punish ourselves and/or live in shame for something that almost happened. Good one.

Like someone already said, Atlanta shouldn't have to pay for the backwards thinking of politicians outside of the city, but neither should Charlotte. Remember - Charlotte was the NC city that passed the anti-discrimination policy to begin with. I am definitely tired of having these kinds of stupid bills forced upon us by rural/conservative politicians, but rather than having knee-jerk reactions (like moving sporting events) residents should call for change with their votes. It's ridiculous to punish a forward-thinking city for the actions of its backwards state legislature...there must be a better way. This kind of thinking doesn't represent the majority of residents in either NC or GA.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:06 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,119,413 times
Good move, but I'm not sure if we'd get it. By the logic Atlanta is presenting, if anywhere, it should go to Portland, who has never had the game. (I would say LA, but they're getting it in 2018.)

Old 03-29-2016, 07:11 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,340,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Good move, but I'm not sure if we'd get it. By the logic Atlanta is presenting, if anywhere, it should go to Portland, who has never had the game. (I would say LA, but they're getting it in 2018.)
They usually choose cities that have thousands of hotel rooms. That's why you don't see cities like Portland, Memphis, and Oklahoma City host the all star game. As a matter of fact, since the late 90s, some cities have held it multiple times, such as Houston, New York, New Orleans, and LA (will be the 2nd time this decade).

Old 03-29-2016, 07:55 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,725,888 times
Its no different than if a couple got into a big fight and she decides to go to the club that night. If I attempt to ask her out you cant blame me

Old 03-29-2016, 08:13 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,111,909 times
Wow, we're lucky to escape from the same BS as NC and we're putting ourselves out there?

No, Atlanta. No Georgia. We have to grow up first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta