Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times

Advertisements

Have you ever paid close attention to who is driving in the HOV lane?

Last Friday, I was stuck in a bit of a traffic jam in the far left lane. I started paying close attention to the cars whizzing by me in the HOV lane. At least a third of them only had one person in the car.

I figured if I accounted for the cars that may have had infants in the back seat that I couldn't see, that number might be closer to a quarter of the cars. This doesn't count the cars with tinted windows that you can't see inside, I have no idea how the police check on those.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...that's what I did. I hopped in the HOV lane, too, and wouldn't you know it....I totally got away with it.

It seems to me that the HOV lanes are not enforced very well. Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this. Years ago, I realized I could take the HOV entrance ramp onto the connector from Williams Street and come out on the left side of the road, so I didn't have to cross 4 lanes of speeding traffic to make sure I got on I-85 at the split. Sometime during week 2 or 3 of doing this, I got busted and got a ticket.

But it seems like nowadays, nobody patrols the HOV lane. Was my observation an isolated incident, or do you see people violate HOV rules with reckless abandon?

BTW, this was the the strict HOV lane on I-85 south of Chamblee Tucker, not the HOT portion where single drivers might have paid the toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,462 times
I was just thinking the same thing the other week. I would love to see better enforcement... Would be nice if they could come up with some sort of automated system for monitoring the usage of these lanes. The frequency with which I see solo drivers in those lanes is just infuriating.

If enforcement is going to be so lax, I think that fully converting them to pay lanes (with a free use option for vehicles with 2+ or 3+ occupants, as in the I-85 lanes OTP) at least warrants consideration.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
I think HOT lanes will help, but I think we should a step further. If someone is caught violating the HOT lane (ie. pretending to be a 3 carpool for free in the case of I-85N), then they should lose the privilege to be able to use it at all for a long period. That is something we can electronically track.

At least that way when we have little short periods of heavy enforcement, we can catch and throw out the people ... rather than having to keep finding a way to enforce again and again.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
Bus only lane. K thanks.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Years ago, I realized I could take the HOV entrance ramp onto the connector from Williams Street and come out on the left side of the road, so I didn't have to cross 4 lanes of speeding traffic to make sure I got on I-85 at the split. Sometime during week 2 or 3 of doing this, I got busted and got a ticket.
I just did the same thing Saturday night coming from downtown for the same exact reason, I did not want to cross any lines trying to stay going 85 north. I frequent that ramp at times heading home.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:00 PM

244 posts, read 168,742 times
They shold just make it a pay lane(peachpass) all the way like it is from pleasntdale onto Gwinnett. Its utterly useless once you hit the city and actually have 2 + people in the car. You get stuck wacthing cars clog the lane that only have one person.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:45 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Have you ever paid close attention to who is driving in the HOV lane?

Last Friday, I was stuck in a bit of a traffic jam in the far left lane. I started paying close attention to the cars whizzing by me in the HOV lane. At least a third of them only had one person in the car.

I figured if I accounted for the cars that may have had infants in the back seat that I couldn't see, that number might be closer to a quarter of the cars. This doesn't count the cars with tinted windows that you can't see inside, I have no idea how the police check on those.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...that's what I did. I hopped in the HOV lane, too, and wouldn't you know it....I totally got away with it.

It seems to me that the HOV lanes are not enforced very well. Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this. Years ago, I realized I could take the HOV entrance ramp onto the connector from Williams Street and come out on the left side of the road, so I didn't have to cross 4 lanes of speeding traffic to make sure I got on I-85 at the split. Sometime during week 2 or 3 of doing this, I got busted and got a ticket.

But it seems like nowadays, nobody patrols the HOV lane. Was my observation an isolated incident, or do you see people violate HOV rules with reckless abandon?

BTW, this was the the strict HOV lane on I-85 south of Chamblee Tucker, not the HOT portion where single drivers might have paid the toll.

Okay so here I am almost wetting myself every time I accidentally stay in the H.O.V. lane for 2 seconds. HAHA (I don't use the highway too often and so sometimes I don't know/forget where H.O.V. begins).

I was under the impression that there are cameras and they catch your license plate. I guess I was very wrong.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
I have witnessed people use it to speed around a slower moving car in the left lane, but yes there needs to be better enforcement of ALL traffic laws. One of the reasons why people are so terrible at driving here is the law enforcement of traffic laws. eg: Cobb PD cannot ticket someone on the few roads they run radar on, unless that vehicle is at least 10 mph over the posted speed limit.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:47 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,884 times
Due to my electric car I have the "right" to drive in the HOV lane as a sole occupant, but often when traffic is heavy it is actually slower than the other lanes.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Due to my electric car I have the "right" to drive in the HOV lane as a sole occupant, but often when traffic is heavy it is actually slower than the other lanes.
Its a privileged because you own an alternative fuel vehicle, HOT lanes do not offer the same privilege to alternative fuel as HOV lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta