Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 07:13 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times

Advertisements

As we all know the heart of South Metro's new economic growth will more than likely come in the form of Henry County. The County is transforming with New construction of Express Tolling lanes and many new Shopping centers and Malls in the planning stages. The county has a some what urban/suburban/exurban and slightly rural areas with plenty room for additional Growth. Is the County Districting its growth in the correct way and is its form of Growth for the better or worse for the South Metro? Is Transit being implemented correctly in the county? Is Express Bus Services really enough for the form of Growth taking place in the County??? How will the County look 10 years from now on its current path?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 05:33 PM

48 posts, read 108,088 times
I don't have answers for your questions but I do disagree that Henry is the heart of the south metro economic growth. You've probably got a lot going on over there but Coweta/Fayette have a lot going on with the film industry while Newnan is becoming a medical hub and more interstate interchanges coming along to spur growth. I like all of the action we've got down here right now.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:01 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,878 times
This is my first post but Ive been lurking for awhile.I think even though people overlook because of its woes in the oast as well as its relatively high number of lower income residents ,Clayton County is STILL the economic engine that drives the Southern burbs.It has several large scale employers that I dont believe any other county South of I20 can match.
Also you cannot discount Clayton Counties access for all the distribution and trucking in the area

Clayton State University
Georgia Archives
Southeastern Regional US Archives
Hartsfield Jackson Airport
Ft.Gileum
Atlanta State Farmers Market

Old 04-02-2016, 10:35 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
This is my first post but Ive been lurking for awhile.I think even though people overlook because of its woes in the oast as well as its relatively high number of lower income residents ,Clayton County is STILL the economic engine that drives the Southern burbs.It has several large scale employers that I dont believe any other county South of I20 can match.
Also you cannot discount Clayton Counties access for all the distribution and trucking in the area

Clayton State University
Georgia Archives
Ft.Gileum
That's true!

Old 04-02-2016, 01:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:

Clayton State University
Georgia Archives
Ft.Gileum
Agreed. Amid all the criticism hurled at Clayton, we tend to forget that it is home to the world's busiest airport and the biggest economic driver in the entire southeastern United States.

As I brought up in another thread, Fayette County's challenge right now is in trying to transform from a strictly upper-middle-class suburban bedroom community to one with an emerging / thriving / potentially transformational CREATIVE class (movie and TV industry + leisure lifestyle wth lots of natural spaces and rec amentiies / bike trails etc = ideal marriage IMO).

As someone else mentioned, Newnan (along with Fayetteville) is emerging as a MAJOR medical hub and Coweta will continue to benefit HUGELY in the years to come from lots of a available land and access to I-85.

HENRY ... well, in some respects I've often feared the horse has already left the barn. Development up to this point has been poorly planned and traffic in a county with just over 200,000 is already some of the worst in ALL of metro Atlanta. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? But recent "up-market" development announcements like the Jodeco Road live / work / play project ("Avalon of the Southside") give me encouragement that MAYBE planners in Henry are willing to turn up the level of expectations so that more upscale, sustainable and WELL PLANNED development will follow. This isn't unlike what Gwinnett went through in the 80s and 90s so it's not a lost cause. I just don't know if Henry has the leadership to make it happen.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM

I Totally Agree Clayton is the Most Urban and is a strong Economic engine of the south side due to the Airport but for the most part, it is fully built out. Henry with its Freeway access, construction of Express lanes, room to grow and location along I-75, Major Route down through Macon/Savannah/Florida, it Truly has the opportunity to become the South Sides Gwinnett. Don't get me wrong, Coweta/Fayette has a lot going for it in the form of the Movie industry, I just don't see it quite like I see Henry. Coweta I lean more towards than Fayette though due to Freeway access but I-85 just isn't as busy as I-75 through Henry in that corridor.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I Totally Agree Clayton is the Most Urban and is a strong Economic engine of the south side due to the Airport but for the most part, it is fully built out. Henry with its Freeway access, construction of Express lanes, room to grow and location along I-75, Major Route down through Macon/Savannah/Florida, it Truly has the opportunity to become the South Sides Gwinnett. Don't get me wrong, Coweta/Fayette has a lot going for it in the form of the Movie industry, I just don't see it quite like I see Henry. Coweta I lean more towards than Fayette though due to Freeway access but I-85 just isn't as busy as I-75 through Henry in that corridor.
I dont think Clayton is not fully built out.There are many areas of the county ripe for re development as well as new development
.The main problem is perception for new development to occur in the county. Particularly development that has higher paying jobs.This is where the county seems to lack and not much hope for that in the near futire. However as stated before,the infrastructure is already there .

Also MARTA is a very positive step for Clayton .I think it will drive more development closer to the borders of Henry/Clayton and Fayette/Clayton

Old 04-05-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I dont think Clayton is not fully built out.There are many areas of the county ripe for re development as well as new development
.The main problem is perception for new development to occur in the county. Particularly development that has higher paying jobs.This is where the county seems to lack and not much hope for that in the near futire. However as stated before,the infrastructure is already there .

Also MARTA is a very positive step for Clayton .I think it will drive more development closer to the borders of Henry/Clayton and Fayette/Clayton
That's kinda True, Especially on the Marta Aspect. Clayton has a perception problem though. Marta still has plenty of kinks to work out in the Clayton Area. The County cant seem to get Bus Shelters put in place in the county, especially on the level of Fulton and DeKalb. The Ad Company wont even agree to build in the County like in Fulton and DeKalb and doesn't plan to any time soon which would have resolved the Shelter and Trash issue. To be honest I don't think many Clayton leaders care much because they feel Marta should have made sure this was taken care of with the 1cent sales tax but the Citizens will be complaining come Hot Summer months with over 8 bus routes in place and only a few shelters on one bus route. Just seems Tacky to me and makes Clayton look 2nd hand.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
That's kinda True, Especially on the Marta Aspect. Clayton has a perception problem though. Marta still has plenty of kinks to work out in the Clayton Area. The County cant seem to get Bus Shelters put in place in the county, especially on the level of Fulton and DeKalb. The Ad Company wont even agree to build in the County like in Fulton and DeKalb and doesn't plan to any time soon which would have resolved the Shelter and Trash issue. To be honest I don't think many Clayton leaders care much because they feel Marta should have made sure this was taken care of with the 1cent sales tax but the Citizens will be complaining come Hot Summer months with over 8 bus routes in place and only a few shelters on one bus route. Just seems Tacky to me and makes Clayton look 2nd hand.
Maybe so but I do think everything that is not perfect in Clayton is blown out of proportion.Like for instance,corruption. Dekalb,Gwinnett,Cobb,Cherokee ,etc have all had major corruption cases against politicians and government agences but Clayton is always in people minds as just a f'd up county.Just not accurate but any little misstep,Clayton gets singled out.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Henry has been on the Top of the news these past few days to be a 2nd Tier Suburban County and not in a good way, what's going on???

Police investigating death in Henry County | WSB-TV

Teenage girl shot in back during Henry County block party | www.ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta