Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 01:17 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times

Advertisements

Yeah, and Atlanta has 400k residents whereas all of Kennesaw (city limits and greater) is around 80-100K, so ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 05:51 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Yeah, and Atlanta has 400k residents whereas all of Kennesaw (city limits and greater) is around 80-100K, so ...
This doesn't make any sense...How can you use Atlanta's city limit only in regards to population (less than actually) but then use an imaginary border to determine Kennesaw's population? Kennesaw's population is probably around 35k people while Atlanta's is probaly around 460k.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 PM

Undermine whatever you will. More than 35k live in Kennesaw. Or are you suggesting those who live in Kennesaw but outside the city limits actually live elsewhere?

Btw, I'm not the one who tried to compare Atlanta to Kennesaw.

ETA: between 30144 and 30152, there are AT LEAST 70k people.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:09 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
The population of Kennesaw was 29,783 in the 2010 census.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:26 AM

There is Kennesaw in general (unincorporated) and the City of Kennesaw. Residents of both live in the area known as Kennesaw. If you all want to continue to act clueless about this reality, that's on y'all.

------------------
Where in Kennesaw is best?

I don't know where you are locating from, but addresses, cities, and towns work differently in Metro Atlanta+Georgia compared to the rest of the country. When one says Kennesaw, there is the official city of Kennesaw...an incorporated town with defined city limits, city council, police department, etc. But...many addresses not in incorporated Kennesaw have a Kennesaw address (actually way more than inside the city limits). Unincorporated Kennesaw addresses stretch from the western edges of East Cobb, west through north Cobb County, then south through West Cobb until Dallas Highway.

The unincorporated address problem we have in Metro Atlanta is a relic from the way addresses were done when all of these areas were rural countryside (a farm having the address of the closest town/post office). Georgia's outdated annexation/incorporation/municipal laws were never updated to handle a growing metro area.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:46 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Quote:
Undermine whatever you will. More than 35k live in Kennesaw. Or are you suggesting those who live in Kennesaw but outside the city limits actually live elsewhere?

Btw, I'm not the one who tried to compare Atlanta to Kennesaw.

ETA: between 30144 and 30152, there are AT LEAST 70k people.
Those are some good points that the entirety of the area with a Kennesaw mailing address (both the incorporated area of the City of Kennesaw and the unincorporated area known as Kennesaw) includes more than just the population in the incorporated area that is officially counted as the City of Kennesaw which as of 2014 was estimated by the U.S. Census Bureau to be about 32,400.

Many of the most recent estimates put the current population of the entire combined area with a Kennesaw mailing address (all of zip codes 30144 and 30152) to be about 96,000. With the continuing growth and development of the area, the population of the entire area with a Kennesaw mailing address appears to have a serious possibility of eclipsing the 100,000-inhabitant mark.

Quote:
There is Kennesaw in general (unincorporated) and the City of Kennesaw. Residents of both live in the area known as Kennesaw. If you all want to continue to act clueless about this reality, that's on y'all.

------------------
Where in Kennesaw is best?

I don't know where you are locating from, but addresses, cities, and towns work differently in Metro Atlanta+Georgia compared to the rest of the country. When one says Kennesaw, there is the official city of Kennesaw...an incorporated town with defined city limits, city council, police department, etc. But...many addresses not in incorporated Kennesaw have a Kennesaw address (actually way more than inside the city limits). Unincorporated Kennesaw addresses stretch from the western edges of East Cobb, west through north Cobb County, then south through West Cobb until Dallas Highway.

The unincorporated address problem we have in Metro Atlanta is a relic from the way addresses were done when all of these areas were rural countryside (a farm having the address of the closest town/post office). Georgia's outdated annexation/incorporation/municipal laws were never updated to handle a growing metro area.
I don't necessarily think that anyone was trying to undermine your comments highlighting the continuing growth and construction and opening of interesting new developments in the Kennesaw area with their comments about the differences between the population counts of Kennesaw proper and the entire Kennesaw mailing area.

I just think that some of the other posters were responding to your comments stating that the City of Atlanta proper had only 400,000 residents and comparing that rough population estimate of Atlanta proper to the population of the entire Kennesaw mailing area.

The official U.S. Census decadal population count for the City of Atlanta proper was 420,003 in 2010 and the U.S. Census estimate of the population of the City of Atlanta proper in 2014 was 456,002.

If one uses the population of the entire area with an Atlanta mailing address, an area which includes all zip codes that began with the numbers 303 and encompasses areas outside of the incorporated area of the City of Atlanta (areas like Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Vinings, Chamblee, Doraville, the western edge of DeKalb County, much of South Fulton County and the northern edge of Clayton County that all use an Atlanta mailing address), the total population estimate of that area is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of about 750,000 inhabitants.

But in the larger scheme of things, population comparisons between the areas with Atlanta and Kennesaw mailing addresses seem to be immaterial and counterproductive.

That's because with its very large and fast-growing cluster of commercial and industrial businesses and properties and as the site of one of the state's three-largest higher education institutions by enrollment (Kennesaw State University), the Kennesaw area has grown to become a key and indispensable part of the Atlanta metropolitan area and a critically important commercial/industrial/educational/activity center anchor to both Northwest Metro Atlanta and Northwest Georgia.

The large cluster of commercial and industrial development along with a rising research university (KSU) in the Kennesaw area is a major contributor to the economies of metro Atlanta and the state of Georgia and a major contributor both directly and indirectly to state government coffers in terms of the amount of tax revenue the area generates.

I know that there has been much friction historically between OTP/suburban Cobb County and the City of Atlanta and urban core areas ITP, but there is no need for a pi$$ing contest to take place between the City of Atlanta and an outlying major suburb like Kennesaw.

The continued growth and improvement of OTP suburban areas like Kennesaw and ITP core urban areas like the City of Atlanta don't have to come at each others' expense. Both OTP suburban areas and ITP urban core areas have plenty of room to continue to grow and achieve great success in one of the fastest-growing metro regions and in one of the fastest-growing states in the nation and in the Western Hemisphere.

With her posts about positive growth and development news in Kennesaw, I'm sure that hautemomma is not trying undermine the continuing growth and successes in ITP urban core areas like the City of Atlanta, but is only highlighting the continuing growth and successes of an area that she feels very proudly about in Kennesaw.....A city that has come a very long way from being the far-flung isolated (but aspirational) small rural and exurban village that it was in the past.

It is a very good thing that a suburban city like Kennesaw continues to grow, urbanize, become more cosmopolitan and connect more and more with the outside world as part of the continuing growth and success of the greater Atlanta metro region.....Just like it is a very good thing that that the City of Atlanta is continuing to grow, attract new residents and become more and more livable with a quality-of-life that continues to improve exponentially and has come a very long way from the 1990's, 1980's and 1970's when the city was a very high-crime area that used to routinely see over 200 homicides a year.

It is a great thing that both the city and the suburbs of metro Atlanta are places where people want to live, work, play, raise families and invest in the future. It's a great thing that both the city and suburbs are thriving communities that people find to be attractive and highly desirable places to be.

The continuing growth of the suburbs takes nothing away from the city and the growth of the city takes nothing away from the suburbs. We can respect each others' successes because we all benefit from each others' successes.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:21 PM

VERY well said, B2R. I agree entirely. I am just really tired of any positive OTP news being bedraggled, underestimated and marginalized by the usual suspects. It almost becomes similar to the the infantile retorts that those of us who have raised children know all too well.

You are right about the vital role that Kennesaw and many other OTP towns, communities and suburbs play in the success and positive trending of the entire Metro Atlanta region. It's a shame so many others can't see beyond 285.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:51 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
There's nothing wrong with Kennesaw, but it just wasn't right for me.

People didn't just start flocking to the area for higher prices. For me, it was the opposite - big house, lower price. After I left, I noticed that KSU started becoming much more prestigious, and I say good for them. There are going to be plenty more parents willing to pay for their children to live near the campus.

I think a lot more of the increase in price of the rental market has to do with the construction of the new stadium. I am certain that people who want to rent in the area are not cheering or waving their hands in the air about higher prices; that would be insane. The woo hoo will only come from those who stand to benefit from the higher prices.

I don't think it's so much of an attack on an area OTP than just a round of "what's in it for me"?

Old 04-03-2016, 10:37 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
To add to the arguments above (and excuse me for not multi quoting and highlighting the appropriate parts)....

If you want to compare the city of Kennesaw with this statistic, I would say the VAST majority of the rentals in question are in the Kennesaw zip codes and NOT within the city limits of Kennesaw. Keep in mind that all of KSU and the vast majority of the Town Center/Barrett Parkway commercial district is in unincorporated Cobb with a Kennesaw zip code and NOT in the city limits of Kennesaw. So Haute's comparison using an estimated population of the zip code area of Kennesaw is much more on target.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 2,212 times
Default Interested in rental "houses"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
This is an excellent point.

Even though an outlying suburban area like Kennesaw has many more apartment options than many people in other parts of metro Atlanta (particularly many hardcore ITPers) might think (because it is Cobb County, which many seem to assume that there is not much apartment housing there because of a widely held perception of the county as a sometimes snobbishly affluent suburb), a major reason for the projected dramatic rise in rental rates may be because there seems to be much more demand for quality multi-family housing than there might be a supply of in the Kennesaw area.
Listening to yours ands everyones great input.. I am curious.. is there many available affordable rental homes in Kinnesaw area as well.. Wife and i are looking at $500-$800 monthly price range for now til she reurns from there with a better idea on what her annual salary really is.. any help would be greatly appreciated as far as the scope of things.. Many houses for rent would you say in that general area ?

Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta