Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:50 AM

13 posts, read 18,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
As a mom who has kids who has kids graduate from both public and private, I will give you an it depends. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to elaborate right now as we are walking out the door, but will try to write more later today (if not, tomorrow).
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 09:17 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantanewp View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply, buckheadmom11. Yes, we did an interview in Feb. The school looks nice and has interesting curriculum. College matriculation is good although not super impressive. We also browsed websites of Walton High, which might be an option for us. Since we know so little about public schools in Atlanta, we have to seek advice here.

There are many great public high school options in Metro Atlanta.

Can you give us any idea of the type area where you would like to live? Just describe some key attributes...

{and metro atlanta has way more to offer in the public high school arena than just walton...}

Old 04-02-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
There are many great public high school options in Metro Atlanta.

Can you give us any idea of the type area where you would like to live? Just describe some key attributes...

{and metro atlanta has way more to offer in the public high school arena than just walton...}
Thanks. We want to find an area not so far from CDC/North Decatur (within 45 minutes commute, ideally less than 30 minutes). Of course, safe and convenient.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks. We want to find an area not so far from CDC/North Decatur (within 45 minutes commute, ideally less than 30 minutes). Of course, safe and convenient.

Housing price range?

Type and size of house desired?

Any other needs/wants?

Old 04-02-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Housing price range?

Type and size of house desired?

Any other needs/wants?
Housing price will be around $300,000. No other needs.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
We are relocating to Atlanta. My daughter has been accepted into one of the best private schools in Atlanta (which is usually ranked as number 1) (entering 9th grade), but the financial is so limited that we almost pay the full tuition ($25,000). We expected the tuition after financial aid would be below $20,000 since a private school we applied to in our origin city but we turned down because of our relocation only charges us $10,000 (it is one of the best schools in the south and probably has better endowment). We can somehow manage to pay the tuition, but the question is it worth the money? Do we have alternatives?
A little background: my daughter is very self-motivated and high-achieving (not just test scores and grades but also skilled at violin, model UN, and writing). She's interested in humanities, arts, social sciences, and probably architecture, rather than science and engineering. As for foreign languages, she likes French.
Given her interests, I'd like to have your opinions and suggestions about which private and public high schools would be the best fit for her and have strong programs in her interested areas.
Many many thanks in advance!
Quote:
Quote:
Housing price will be around $300,000. No other needs.

Hello atlantanewp,

Based on your criteria, I recommend the following:

1. Parkview High in the South Lilburn and East Lilburn Area.

2. Brookwood High in the North Snellville, East Lilburn, and South Lawrenceville Area.

Why?
a. Both are top-notch, excellent schools.
b. Both schools are very popular with people that work in the CDC/Emory area--and that need/want great schools, a relatively easy commute, and a nice home in the upper-middle/middle income price range (in a very safe neighborhood).
c. Both schools offer French.
d. Both schools offer strong programs and extracurricular activities. There are choices for a wide-variety of interests.
e. Beautiful housing and neighborhood options.
f. Good educational environment--especially for someone high-achieving and self-motivated like your daughter.

*If I had to choose one, I would recommend Parkview High as first choice, only because it is slightly closer to CDC/Emory--but a both areas are still convenient commute-wise. Brookwood and Parkview are phenomenal.

Here are some useful links:

Parkview High School

Home

http://publish.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gc...df?MOD=AJPERES

I hope this helps some. Let me/us know if you have more questions. Good Luck!

And...
Scratch Walton High off your list. Not convenient to CDC/Emory at all.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:54 AM

Thank you so much, Aries4118

Old 04-02-2016, 11:11 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
I think many students can have their needs met well at good public high schools. For the most part, public high school operates very differently than k-8 schools. Ability grouping exists to its fullest with advanced and AP classes (as well as joint enrollment options). (I worry the most about the middle of the road type students, which I am betting your daughter is not.) If a child wants a relationship with a teacher in public high school, it is fairly easy to forge. Because most students (even in private school to some extent) are looking for those kinds of relationships.

I want to encourage you to look at Norcross High School (also a Gwinnett County school) -- it has an outstanding IB programme that is well established and French is an option. I was just with a graduate of NHS (now a recent college grad) and she had nothing but good things to say about her experience there. I am pretty sure French was her language.

Norcross High: Community Services - IB Diploma Programme'

We have children who graduated from both public and private high schools. We have (had) always believed that you meet your child's needs where you can. For the private school child, his need for structure trumped all else. But otherwise, I think their educational experiences were pretty similar (they have very different personalities so it is a bit hard to tell).

I have an acquaintance who is an Atlanta private school consultant who has been around a while. This person use to be only pro-private school but about 6-8 years ago starting changing their approach. If the costs of private school will impact your ability to allow your child to choose a college, regardless of cost, they think looking for a solid public school is a better option for most kids. (this is a simplification, but I think you understand) Keep in mind that top private colleges are now about 60K a year.

GA has the HOPE scholarship which is awesome and lots of really smart kids are staying in state because of it. But even with that, there are plenty of private school kids who end up at the same college they would have if they had attended their neighborhood public.

I will agree that college counseling is generally far superior in private school than public. That said, you can hire, for a few thousand dollars, a private college counselor for your public school child to provide very similar (sometimes better) services.

All this said, private school costs really start with tution. Often books, lunch and uniforms are extra. And sometimes extracurricular costs exceed that of the public school. Additionally, things like class trips and extra trips are routinely offered. If these things are going to be a burden for your family, it is something else to consider. (public school has lots of extra costs, but you aren't paying tuition on top of it.)

Old 04-02-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I think many students can have their needs met well at good public high schools. For the most part, public high school operates very differently than k-8 schools. Ability grouping exists to its fullest with advanced and AP classes (as well as joint enrollment options). (I worry the most about the middle of the road type students, which I am betting your daughter is not.) If a child wants a relationship with a teacher in public high school, it is fairly easy to forge. Because most students (even in private school to some extent) are looking for those kinds of relationships.

I want to encourage you to look at Norcross High School (also a Gwinnett County school) -- it has an outstanding IB programme that is well established and French is an option. I was just with a graduate of NHS (now a recent college grad) and she had nothing but good things to say about her experience there. I am pretty sure French was her language.

We have children who graduated from both public and private high schools. We have (had) always believed that you meet your child's needs where you can. For the private school child, his need for structure trumped all else. But otherwise, I think their educational experiences were pretty similar (they have very different personalities so it is a bit hard to tell).

I have an acquaintance who is an Atlanta private school consultant who has been around a while. This person use to be only pro-private school but about 6-8 years ago starting changing their approach. If the costs of private school will impact your ability to allow your child to choose a college, regardless of cost, they think looking for a solid public school is a better option for most kids. (this is a simplification, but I think you understand) Keep in mind that top private colleges are now about 60K a year.

GA has the HOPE scholarship which is awesome and lots of really smart kids are staying in state because of it. But even with that, there are plenty of private school kids who end up at the same college they would have if they had attended their neighborhood public.

I will agree that college counseling is generally far superior in private school than public. That said, you can hire, for a few thousand dollars, a private college counselor for your public school child to provide very similar (sometimes better) services.

All this said, private school costs really start with tution. Often books, lunch and uniforms are extra. And sometimes extracurricular costs exceed that of the public school. Additionally, things like class trips and extra trips are routinely offered. If these things are going to be a burden for your family, it is something else to consider. (public school has lots of extra costs, but you aren't paying tuition on top of it.)

Nice, thorough post from LMM. Read it. Read it again. Then bookmark it.

In addition to Parkview and Brookwood, Norcross High would be a great option for your daughter (like LMM said). All three high schools are in the Gwinnett County system which is overall excellent.

Moreover, the Norcross High Cluster has superb housing/neighborhood options like Parkview and Brookwood.

Your list of choice continue to grow and expand...

Old 04-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:

thank you very much! I'll reply your message soon since there's a restriction on the number of messages I can send every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta