U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you ready for a brand new" WHOAAAA there!" Amusement/Theme park in GA?
Yes, you surly broad, I'm MORE than ready! 2 25.00%
No, I loath the lot of them! 6 75.00%
I don't know, SmoothELiker! Are you? O_o? 0 0%
No, I'm going to "Rat World" this summer...to sing about how small the world is after all...in FL.... 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 02:40 PM

41 posts, read 22,013 times

Advertisements

And as my cousin used to say, "Hey, Y'all!"

1. What do you recall being your favorite destinations in the ATL, in the rest of our great state, and in our beautiful, neighboring states, and why?

2. Where do you want to go now, again, or in the future within Atlanta, some other part of Georgia, or/and in our neighboring states, and why?

From the traditional tourist spots, to the lesser known. From urban legend/lore spots that you were warned never to visit, as a child ; to your favorite spot of railroad track to snap a pic of the skyline at sunset...at--just tell us your places (new or old...existing, or gone forever)--and why!

*Warning: Do not say: “My Grandma Myrtle's kitchen!” As fabulous as your dear ole granny may be, everybody and their cousin cannot fit into her kitchen (unless of course her kitchen is located in an actual restaurant)! While she may not mind, her neighbors and the local fire chief (fire safety codes, and what not) just might!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 02:54 PM

Some of mine no longer exist, but here goes (in NO particular order):

1. What do you recall being your favorite destinations in the ATL, in the rest of our great state, and in our beautiful, neighboring states, and why?

#1 SCITREK--AHHHHH I LOVED that place as a kid going on field trips with my school mates, because it was wacky and FUN! My fave exhibit was the giant ball thingy with the lightning bolt thingies in it, that, once you and another mentally-disturbed classmate put one of your hands on it for a few seconds--it caused you to have lightning or something with your fingers when touching each others' free hand...either that...or it made your hair stand up on your head...can't remember the effect, but it WAS cool!

#2 The Joel Chandler Harris House
--My classmates and I LOVED to hear the story teller dude tell us the cool stories that Mr. Harris used to hear as he sat on the laps of old slaves as a little boy. It was...AWESOME and quintessentially (OLD/COOL) Atlanta! We couldn't actually READ the stories in written form, but hearing it...it was EASY to understand, and it was FUN...but please, oh puh-LEASE don't throw me in the...briar patch!

#3 That place where we went in Jr. High to hear "The Tell Tale Heart" (I really dug Edgar!)--Sorry, no CLUE where this place was, but it had FANTASMAGORICAL air conditioning , and I KNOW there was a stage, and therefore it must have been a theater. It wasn't big, but it got appropriately dark enough to tell "the tale" properly!

#4 SIX FLAGS OVER GA--back when Bugs Bunny used to walk around, and back when there was such a GREAT and air-conditioned ride called "Monster Plantation"-->I REFUSE to erase history for some ASININE reason and call it "Monster Mansion" *shudders*

This used to be one of my FAVORITE spots to visit in our great state! Then...they started admitting the entire population of well...the ENTIRE PLANET (and ALL on ONE day)...and...things started to suck....

BUT nevertheless, some notable highlights:
  • The Great American Scream Machine (turned BACKWARDS for Easter Break)
  • Splash Water Falls' bridge (because...if you've EVER been to Atlanta in the dead of summer, this requires NO explanation)
  • The Dahlonega Mine Train (because this ride was fun no matter HOW old you were!)
  • Seeing people walk their imaginary/invisible pets with those souvenir dog walking leashes (didn't take much to impress me, nor my friends)-->and I THINK that the Tazmanian Devil was painted ON the train, or somewhere in that area
  • The GREAT "theming" of the rides themselves, and the areas surrounding them
  • The Mind Bender (even WHEN it got stuck)
  • The Wheelie (the GREATEST...RIDE...EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)<-->I weep, because of this: I did NOT take this photo saw it online a few years or so back)
  • Waving to the people from the locomotive because the teenager on the loudspeaker told us to on the bridge
  • Waving back to the people who waved to you from the locomotive when you were walking below the bridge (because it's the South and we've got manners, yo!)
  • Eating the terrible tasting funnel cake (because...*sighs* if you go to an amusement park and don't eat terrible tasting funnel cake...then...you're not doing it right!) *Note: The funnel cake wasn't terrible, but the mandatory powdered sugar was...but...without the powdered sugar...it just wasn't FUNNEL CAKE!!!
  • Other rides: Thunder River (because it just LOOKED fun, and even in the company of complete and total strangers, it actually WAS fun...even though you didn't get wet...), the LOOPING STARSHIP-->it just FELT good, The Free Fall (because it was the ONLY ride that I EVER chickened out of getting on, mainly because being dropped off of a building just didn't seem to make sense to me, BUT, when FORCED onto the ride, I actually LOVED it--what a rush!)
  • Because the teenagers that worked there (when I FIRST started going) actually ENJOYED their job...which in turn made me ENJOY my visit...which in turn made me WANT to come back (what a concept)
  • Lastly--the giant paper "souvenir" map of the entire park with all of the 1 billion, gazillion trees (actually displayed PERFECTLY ON the map!) that never actually helped the fam figure out where we were, and where we wanted to go, but...it DID help me relive the excitement and joy of just BEING there over and over again each time I'd take it out and open it up onto my bed as a little girl when we weren't at the actual park!

#5 STONE MOUNTAIN PARK...on Independence Day--...for the light show, and for the BEST part of the light show...the "I'm Proud to be an American" song...argh...even though I was little...it made me tear up...and I was NOT alone!

2. Where do you want to go now, again, or in the future within Atlanta, some other part of Georgia, or/and in our neighboring states, and why?

#1 Miss Ann's Snack Bar--for a Hood Burger (Although I worry that things may not be as authentic since she's passed) *never been* -->I will NEVER get to eat here (I have a million food sensitivities), but this thread is for FUN!

#2 Carowinds Amusement Park (in the great state of North Cak-uh-laky)--because I want to see CHARLIE BROWN *never been*

#3 Noccalula Falls Park (in the FAB state of Alabammie)--because I was moved by the legend of the falls--where the name came from--as a little girl *visited too briefly*

#4 MANY of our state's (GA) National Parks--because I like giant trees, giant bodies of H2O, giant birds, giant reptiles (tortoises, turtles, alligators, and the like, but NEVER snakes, lizards, and their other insufferable cousins). I'm not sure if I can see alli's here, but I assume I can! ...But ONLY while it's still cool outside. I am heat-intolerant. *I've been to only a few Metro area spots as of date*

#5 Myrtle Beach (in the great state of South Cak-uh-laky)--because I want to see if the board walk area is as beautiful and as lively in person as it was on one of my little cuzzini's (cousins) vacation pics *haven't been in AGES, but had an absolute blast when I went as a kiddie*

...Thanks for reading...and until we meet again:

-->this is SOOO not my image either..., LOL!

Last edited by SmoothELiker; 04-03-2016 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Because I wanted to add the colon! I LOVE colons! O_o

Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,348,956 times
The North Georgia mountains. Love it up there.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:31 PM

Thank you Ansley!

I agree, the North Joejuh Mountains (and well, the ones in the Carolinas, Virginia, etc.,) are Quite beautiful--especially in the fall!

Be careful of panthers/mountain lions, and venomous snakes...and...maybe a bear cub or two, and you should be A OK!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 PM

6,359 posts, read 3,431,107 times
I have really bad acrophobia, so Six Flags is always a personal challenge of overcoming fears for me. If you call that fun.

I actually have a really hard time with the 73-story glass elevator that goes to the Sun Dial on top of the Westin. But I'm fine when I get up there.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I have really bad acrophobia, so Six Flags is always a personal challenge of overcoming fears for me. If you call that fun.

I actually have a really hard time with the 73-story glass elevator that goes to the Sun Dial on top of the Westin. But I'm fine when I get up there.
Lol, probably because no body is going to push you off the top of the building (or through a window!!)!

...Either that, or the (assumingly delicious) food takes thine mind off of it o Tech'd one!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Somehow, when replying to this, I managed to miss the whole "glass" part in "glass elevator."

To this I say, there is NOTHING wrong with you/us--the acutely acrophobic* ones. Architects, in general, are very disturbed and mentally deranged people. Just take a look at their "artsy" websites.
"OOOHHH whooo, ell lookie-loo! Why don't I add some music, and put everything in lowercase, and make the menus all sci-fi-esque and dance-y and stuff!"
Their only redeeming quality seems to be that, as a whole, they are generally extremely good-looking and have cool hair. Oh, and people need places to work, eat, shop, and live...and stuff....

I must go now. The people in white coats are ready to reapply my straight-jacket. I got a new one, by the way! It's so pretty, hopefully you will come to visit me and doodle on it, PrimeTech!!!! O_o

Ooohh, I see that they have brought me meds as well!!!

-G'day, Mate!

*I am in general against this term, as it denotes having an "irrational" or/and "extreme" fear of heights. Any person who has no rational fear of being elevated 1-2 feet above the natural ground...is unwell! I detest female gymnasts for this very reason! They not only walk 2+ feet on a narrow beam in competition, but they FLIP ON IT! That's a sign of a SERIOUS "lack of fear" problem...at least, in my opinion.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:03 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,810,151 times
Family having a ball up in Unicoi right now. Also like Amicaola Falls. I hate long lines, and most ride/based amusements are pretty boring anyway, but we still hit them from time to time, because they are still fresh for the kids. Not touristy, but hanging out at the pool at Candler Park in the Summer is nice. Prefer the Zoo/Grant Park, over the Aquarium. Tough to have a bad time at any beach--we just follow the best deals on rooms, shortest drive, best weather. I remember Chatanooga being nice with young kids--a lot to do in a small walkable space that is also nice for just hanging out.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Family having a ball up in Unicoi right now. Also like Amicaola Falls.-->very beautiful bridge they have there, I think I've been, but I'm not sure, actually! I see the pictures they have online, and I think that's the place that I visited once that had a camp or something for primary school-aged children I hate long lines, and most ride/based amusements are pretty boring anyway, but we still hit them from time to time, because they are still fresh for the kids. Not touristy, but hanging out at the pool at Candler Park in the Summer is nice. Prefer the Zoo/Grant Park, over the Aquarium. Tough to have a bad time at any beach--we just follow the best deals on rooms, shortest drive, best weather. I remember Chatanooga being nice with young kids--a lot to do in a small walkable space that is also nice for just hanging out.

Thanks for replying Jeoff!

I hope you and the fam continue to have a blast!!!

But what do you mean "...most ride/based amusements are pretty boring anyway?"-->

*"Long lines..." are part of the fun!!!*

"Prefer the Zoo/Grant Park over the Aquarium." -->WHOA!!!-->O_o-->-->O_O R U mad?!?*

*...and by "mad," I meant, "crazy."

-->J/K, I actually, did consider mentioning Zoo Atlanta/Grant Park (that's where all of the cool dead people are buried, right--the famous cemetery, not the Zoo, I mean (Apparently, even though there is an Internet search bar within clicking distance, I do not "feel" like looking that up...hmm. ).
Meh, I haven't been "inside of" the Aquarium as of yet. Come to mention it, I haven't been near, in front of, nor adjacent to it, either...but I'm GLAD it's here...well...save for the hole "whale sharks dying issue." *shrugs*--because in my endless hypocrisy, I actually want(ed) to see them (the whale sharks) even though I snubbed my nose at the Aqua facility because I didn't believe it was right for them to be there. But then again...that's what the word "hypocrisy" is for!

"Tough to have a bad time at any beach"-->hmmf! I see "jeoff" has no problem with near-nudity! J/K-->please don't be offended, my "silly meds"* are in effect and they are inspiring me to be "silly." ...Which sadly comes off, quite possibly, as being classless, crass, and/or, vulgar...[-ish].

"...a lot to do in a small walkable space that is also nice for just hanging out,"-->So, seriously speaking (for once), I'd genuinely love to hear what other things make a destination more likely to more fun for the entire family (i.e., mom/dad, grandmom, grandad, cousin Mildred, etc.)--not just the kids.

1. What would you (and for that matter--ANY readers of this post), your spouse or/and co-parent [specifically] like to see (changed, update, added, eliminated or/and reduced, etc.) in today's amusement parks (regarding the ones that you visit and/or have visited in the past).
  2. What do you like about these parks?
  3. What do you dislike about these parks?
  4. What, if anything, did you like in the past about these parks (either as a kid, yourself, or/and as an adult, now)?
Please ask your kids (if this is possible, LOL--I know that getting answers out of children from open-ended questions like this, may not be a fun, coherent, or short process! LOL!) what would make an amusement/theme park more fun for them? What do they want to see, do, experience, eat, have mum and dad buy (, LOL), etc.?

Thanks for your time, and for replying earlier in case I don't hear back from you again! And be safe, and enjoy making memories and spending time with the V.I.P.s in your life!

-Sincerely,
The Smmmoooootttthhh One!

*I do not actually take "silly meds," "silly" meds, or "meds"...in general.

Last edited by SmoothELiker; 04-08-2016 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Something having to do with a comma, a period, or a colon...or not *scratches head confusedly*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta