U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 AM

22 posts, read 47,256 times
HI!

We havent moved yet, but are moving on the 5th of Feb to Suwanee, Ga.
Someone mentioned missing certain things about ny and nj (I work in NYC and for some odd reason have always loved the subway??) , and I think I will, but we have family up here and do plan on visiting. Overall, I think it will be a better environment for my kids, and that is what is most important to us right now. We have other NY friends who have been in Gwinnett for 10 years and love it and would never move. (they had to temporarily for work, and were very upset, and were thrilled to be transferred back to ga.) We spent a week in Gwinnett recently, and I have to say, it was so nice to hear the birds in Jan. It was quite gray when we flew back into Newark. As far as restaurants and food, I am confident that I will find some kind of pizza and chinese, bagels etc. that I will like, but I really shouldnt be eating much of them anyway!!!
Keep me posted on your progress, all from Ny and NJ---I think it will be a good thing !!!
elanmom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 05:48 PM

79 posts, read 285,871 times
Hi Elanmom,
We have a few things in common. I'm not from Jersey, but I'm from suburban Philadelphia. We are moving to North Fulton County this summer after ten years in the Philadelphia area. My husband will be working in Alpharetta/Johns Creek and Cumming. We're looking for homes in either Alpharetta or Johns Creek. If you can, spend a few days just driving back in forth to a lot of towns and communities. You may want to rent first until your husband finds a job -- traffic is so bad -- you may wish you lived closest to where he (and/or you work.

Best of luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 18,324 times
Do not move to Duluth, Look at Suwanee, Buford or the hot place is Dacula. School are not good in Duluth and problems with drugs in high school

Old 02-15-2007, 08:59 PM

12 posts, read 50,744 times
Default New to ATL

Hey all, here's another transplant from the Northeast. Born and raised in Boston, lived in NYC for 10 years, CT for 2. Relocated a few weeks ago with my partner due to a job change. We're just outside the Perimeter in Dunwoody. So far so good. I can def say I'm loving the weather. We are renting for now and managed to find a place with a private gate to the MARTA as I'll be working in town. (I've been told I should have low expectations of the MARTA as compared to the subway in NY). He's working in Alpharetta and the drive from here to work and back for him takes less than 30 minutes. Not bad. I'm happy to have a Trader Joe's nearby. Haven't had a chance to eat out too much but as someone else said earlier...I gotta stay away from the bagels and pizza anyway!

Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 AM

128 posts, read 319,682 times
I will say that I seem to be one of the few that regrets the move. I grew up on the East Coast, Moved out to Denver for college and fell in love with the city/Mountains imediatly. 8 Years later my wife and I were ready for some change and a little cheaper cost of living so decided to move out East to get closer to the familys. We thought Atlanta was much cheaper than it is.

I have now found myself (after 7 months) with the same feelings that pushed me out West in the first place. The East Coast, in general, is much more of a rat race IMO. If I were single & hadn't already bought a house I would already be gone.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:35 AM

24 posts, read 107,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philagirl View Post
Hi Elanmom,
We have a few things in common. I'm not from Jersey, but I'm from suburban Philadelphia. We are moving to North Fulton County this summer after ten years in the Philadelphia area. My husband will be working in Alpharetta/Johns Creek and Cumming. We're looking for homes in either Alpharetta or Johns Creek. If you can, spend a few days just driving back in forth to a lot of towns and communities. You may want to rent first until your husband finds a job -- traffic is so bad -- you may wish you lived closest to where he (and/or you work.

Best of luck!
I agree with Philagirl about finding a home close to your husbands job. I lived in Atlanta from 1996-2000. I loved the area. The weather is great. Lots to do. Great outdoors things to do, BUT that traffic can be horrendous!! I lived in East Cobb and had to commute to the city of Atlanta and it took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Without traffic it took about 20 minutes. I can only imagine the commute can be longer these days.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:55 PM

43 posts, read 134,561 times
I live in the Cumming area. I moved from Orange County NY, about 2 yrs ago now, and am looking at moving back as soon as possible. The development is out of control down here, and they are not doing enough about the roads. I would take a commute to NYC over the one to Atlanta any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta