Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Don't you get it yet, arjay?

No matter what happens at PCM, Krog City Market, or the Beltline, it will be woven into a narrative on why it is the best part of the city.

It's why people who complain that Roswell is nothing but families and kid stuff all of a sudden magically want kid stuff when it is announced for PCM and call you anti-child if you say it's not the best fit.

It's why people who claim to value diversity will do anything to hide from the fact that PCM and Krog Street Market are typically at least 85-90% white on any given day.
It's the Backflips effect, ATLTJL. You are correct that news of a putt-putt golf course elsewhere would be met with yawns if not hoots of derision. It is also true that these developments tend to be pitched to a pretty lily white demographic.

However, I am glad to see this rooftop happen. Intowners need a place to play putt putt without driving to the suburbs. In addition it is a creative use of space that is often used for nothing more than mechanical equipment.

Last edited by arjay57; 04-05-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 09:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's the Backflips effect, ATLTJL. You are correct that news of a putt-putt golf course elsewhere would be met with yawns if not hoots of derision. It is also true that these developments tend to be pitched to a pretty lily white demographic.

However, I am glad to see this happen. Intowners need a place to play putt putt without driving to the suburbs. In addition it is a creative use of space that is often used for nothing more than mechanical equipment.

Excellent description, this whole project (PCM) is about adaptive reuse, it does not get more adaptive than using the rooftop as for games and socializing.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post

The problem's going to be when/if Eats can't afford the rent in the neighborhood. Right now it's one of the few places in the area where the food is affordable and non frou-frou.
Eats owns their building, thankfully.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:57 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Yes, arjay, that is exactly what I have said.

I believe this putt-putt course looks totally lame. But posters on this board find that so impossible to accept that I may have a valid point, they have nothing to do but attack me personally and try to say that I just don't want anything good to happen intown because I don't live there. I must be someone who wants intown to fail, which you and I and other long-time posters know is completely laughable.

But whatever, this board has time and time again shown its behind, and very few people here care about making metro Atlanta a better place, they just want to booster their own neighborhoods and try to justify their living decisions.

I guess we all do that, but I at least TRY to look at things through an unbiased lens. For example, Best of Brews just closed down in downtown Duluth. There is tons of construction going on, the road and sidewalks are torn up. The owner posted a picture on his Facebook showing this, saying is it any wonder I had to close?

https://www.facebook.com/greglindquist1950/?fref=ts

This is absolutely pathetic, that the city and county would allow this to happen. It just means that the downtown is that much further away from ever being great. But you know, if the same thing happened to a business in the O4W, there would be tons of people jumping in saying things like, "people should figure out alternative ways to get there" or "let's replace it with a business model that works." Nobody can seem to see what is actually going on.

Which is fine, it's a vocal minority, and I get that. Besides, everybody is entitled to their opinions -- but the whole point of a discussion is to consider other opinions and look at to how what you hold may not be as true as you think it is. You don't see many people cheering Buckhead, it's just quietly doing its thing.

Maybe I've been wrong about the purpose of this board for as long as I've been here.

But I will tell you this: Whether I lived in Los Angeles or owned a condo in PCM itself, I would maintain that miniature golf course looks lame. Of course, I'll visit and judge for myself. Maybe it will have such good energy that it won't matter that it's lame, or maybe in reality it isn't as lame as it looks in the photos. That's not to say that a lame golf course isn't better than not having rooftop access at all, just that I expected much, much better from what is probably the most celebrated development in the city over the past several years.

I guess I don't have anything more to say about it, and people can judge my thoughts or even me however they want.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:03 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
He has a point PCM has a rich white Buckhead feeling to it and I've been saying this since the beginning. There should be stores that actually cater to the neighborhood, which is middle class (unfortunately it is quickly changing). Little 5 points seems like the only real and diverse feeling spot on the Eastside. Maybe that's how it's meant to be, but don't pretend that this development Is for anyone other than rich whites. I'm hoping the West and South side keeps some form of realness going forward.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:27 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I believe this putt-putt course looks totally lame. But posters on this board find that so impossible to accept that I may have a valid point, they have nothing to do but attack me personally and try to say that I just don't want anything good to happen intown because I don't live there. I must be someone who wants intown to fail, which you and I and other long-time posters know is completely laughable.
Oh, I know you don't feel that way, ATLTJL, and you have made many insightful and helpful observations about intown neighborhoods.

I agree that this course is no Pirates cove but for something close in it offers a nice option.

My thoughts on it how to bump it up a notch would be:

(a) provide more dramatic lighting to make it pop at night.

(b) allow people to bring their own putters. If I am competing, even if it's against some little kid, I want to bring my best game.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
He has a point PCM has a rich white Buckhead feeling to it and I've been saying this since the beginning. There should be stores that actually cater to the neighborhood, which is middle class (unfortunately it is quickly changing). Little 5 points seems like the only real and diverse feeling spot on the Eastside. Maybe that's how it's meant to be, but don't pretend that this development Is for anyone other than rich whites. I'm hoping the West and South side keeps some form of realness going forward.
O4W may have some middle and lower class areas, but PCM is also on the border with Poncey-Highland, Midtown, and Virginia-Highland; areas that are not middle class.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:43 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,513 times
I think this will be a big hit.Especially when the restaurants come. All this talk about it not fitting the international image iridiculous. They have cheesy stuff that is just as popular in Europe but because its in Europe Americans accept it.Europeans and other international citizens will flock here too and like it just as much.
People over estimate what can be acceptable by international standards.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
I can't believe people are complaining about this.

Like Othello said, PCM is going to be a serious attraction taken as a whole. This will be a place you take out of town guests to instead of the World of Coke. Food hall, the shed, (largely inaccessible) stores, drinks and games on the roof, connected to an pedestrian trail showing off the best of Atlanta in 2 miles... its gonna be memorable. I am STOKED this is how so many people will see our city. Plus, it's not all for tourists with offices and the apartments making up the bulk of the building.

It doesn't get better than this when it comes to a adaptavie reuse/mixed-use project

Old 04-05-2016, 04:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
allow people to bring their own putters. If I am competing, even if it's against some little kid, I want to bring my best game.

That is a great idea! Add some real "game" to the game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta