Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,259,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Don't confuse diversity for lack of racism / classism. The Confederacy was much more diverse than the rest of the US.
I'm not confused, thanks. Given that the non-white majority of contemporary Smyrna is not enslaved, I'm not sure how it would rank with the Confederacy as a place that a racist might want to move. Therefore, your suggestion that a preference for the schools in Smyrna/Marietta is actually code for racism remains deranged.

Quote:
Cobb leads the way in hate in metro Atlanta:
So one twenty-year-old story about anti-gay sentiment, one story about Cobb County racism that dates to 1961, and a forty-year-old anecdote from Ed Kilgore, who hasn't lived in Georgia since he worked for Sam Nunn in the 90s. Actually, I'm pretty sure he was living in DC then. He probably hasn't lived in the state since he graduated from law school. Nice job.

Is there bigotry in Cobb County? Certainly. You could find stories describing incidents from this century, even. It remains true that Smyrna today is more diverse than the City of Atlanta and that white racists aren't likely choosing it over Brookhaven in order to escape brown people, as you suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,893,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I'm not confused, thanks. Given that the non-white majority of contemporary Smyrna is not enslaved, I'm not sure how it would rank with the Confederacy as a place that a racist might want to move. Therefore, your suggestion that a preference for the schools in Smyrna/Marietta is actually code for racism remains deranged.

This is what I was thinking. That area is NOT where a racist white would want to move. In my time working in the Galleria complex I had the chance to get out and the area is certainly not lily-white. That includes the Cumberland/Vinings area on down 285 to South Atlanta Rd.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,259,901 times
Sorry, I got sidetracked by jsvh's pained posterior and Cobb Derangement Syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The state has an unfunded proposal to run a high-capacity passenger rail transit line (light rail or heavy rail) across Top End of the I-285 Perimeter between Cumberland and Doraville by way of Perimeter which has been on the books for many years.
If it were approved and funded today, how soon would it be operational?

Quote:
But Cobb County government's proposed way to pay for the proposed BRT line (funds obtained from a voter referendum-approved sales tax and federal funding) is highly-controversial with Cobb's still-conservative electorate....A conservative Cobb County electorate that is not quite comfortable with so much public money being spent on transit....Which is why often-embattled Cobb County Commission Chairman Tim Lee (a political figure that has taken much heat from Cobb County's still-large faction of conservative base voters and conservative grassroots activists during his time in office) seems to have indefinitely post-phoned putting the BRT line proposal on the ballot this year in the same year when he must stand for re-election.
It seems something like this could be implemented more quickly, and I was initially bullish on the idea, but as I recall the preliminary studies weren't especially favorable.

Controversial BRT won

ETA: It's amusing how the truncation of the URL changes the headline.

It seems to me near-term solutions for ballpark traffic, specifically, are going to have to focus on multiple points of access for cars, busses, shuttles, and yes, pedestrians and bicycles. Personally, I plan to work from home and go to the ballpark for home games.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,208,578 times
After dealing with the opening day traffic, I just couldn't help but be excited about the Barves' departure. They're someone else's problem soon!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,816,726 times
Quote:
How about that non-white majority in South Africa during apartheid then? Must not have been any racism there either.

Accept it: You can't hide behind diversity to "prove" you are not racist. It's the same as "Oh I'm not racist, I have a black co-worker".

Quote:
So one twenty-year-old story about anti-gay sentiment, one story about Cobb County racism that dates to 1961, and a forty-year-old anecdote from Ed Kilgore, who hasn't lived in Georgia since he worked for Sam Nunn in the 90s. Actually, I'm pretty sure he was living in DC then. He probably hasn't lived in the state since he graduated from law school. Nice job.
Ah, so you think Cobb hasn't recently been hateful enough?

Cobb County lawmakers support controversial ‘religious liberty’ bill | www.ajc.com
Cobb GOP chairman concerned about (those) people coming to... | Jay Bookman | www.ajc.com

And we are not talking about random internet commentors that live in the county. We are talking about the leadership of the county. Discraceful.

Last edited by jsvh; 04-06-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 08:19 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,101,647 times
Quote:
How about that non-white majority in South Africa during apartheid then? Must not have been any racism there either.
Oh...My...

Did you just compare modern day 2016 Cobb County Georgia to South Africa during APARTHEID...???

You do see how you've taken your distaste for Cobb a bit too far, don't you? Don't you??

Old 04-06-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Oh...My...

Did you just compare modern day 2016 Cobb County Georgia to South Africa during APARTHEID...???

You do see how you've taken your distaste for Cobb a bit too far, don't you? Don't you??
Good point. It does give South Africa a bad name being associated with Cobb County like that!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:04 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,101,647 times
Quote:
Good point. It does give South Africa a bad name being associated with Cobb County like that!
Oh. Now I remember. I've been on this ride before. It makes me sick. Stop the car. I'm getting off.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 916,260 times
Quote:
1. So when you say "Cumberland" it seems you're talking about Smyrna and Marietta?
2. What about elementary schools? Maybe you prefer King Springs, Teasley, or Nickajack to Ashford Park?
3. How do housing prices compare between Brookhaven and Smyrna or Marietta?
4. Maybe you're looking for proximity to private schools such as Lovett or Whitefield?
5. Smyrna is more diverse and more dense than City of Atlanta.

46.63% African American
31.6% White
14.9% Hispanic or Latino
4.9% Asian
3.1% Multiracial

While there seem to be many good reasons for some people to choose "Cumberland" over Brookhaven, racism wouldn't appear to be one of them.
Very good points. I moved from Brookhaven (Woodward Elemetary, look it up) to unincorporated Cobb (Teasley). Teasley is majority minority and highly rated. DeKalb schools... Big problems

Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Oh. Now I remember. I've been on this ride before. It makes me sick. Stop the car. I'm getting off.
Yep. Got to defend those poor rich white guys leading Cobb that just want to hate in peace. Someone made a point that compared Cobb to another hateful place so now it the time to call the PC police.

I assume you were just as offended when Cobb County got associated with apartheid South Africa four months ago:
Activists want metro Atlanta police officer fired for alleged ra - CBS46 News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta