Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAA2H View Post
Thank you for all of your responses! This is very stressful. As long as we are on the waitlist I can't help but have hope even though it seems like there are a lot of kids on Pace's waiting list.

Is it a standard policy at all private schools that you are liable for the full year's tuition once you accept a spot?

Also, has anyone heard of people on the waitlist getting offers in the middle of the school year or late in the summer?
It can happen right up until the day school starts. You never know whose parent might get transferred out of town over the summer. But you've got to have a spot somewhere. The private schools are not dumb. School A doesn't want you to decide on Aug. 15 to attend School B and then they have to fill a slot last-minute. So, they make sure that you are on the hook for a full year's tuition to discourage you from jumping ship. I don't know about you, but I can't afford to flush $20K+ down the toilet, so that prevents people from hopping around.

If your backup plan is a public school, you're sitting pretty because there's no reason not to stay on the waiting list indefinitely and make a last-minute decision if needed. But if you accept an offer while you're waiting, you'll have to make a potentially very pricey decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 12:54 PM

63 posts, read 79,832 times
Quote:
Thank you for all of your responses! This is very stressful. As long as we are on the waitlist I can't help but have hope even though it seems like there are a lot of kids on Pace's waiting list.

Is it a standard policy at all private schools that you are liable for the full year's tuition once you accept a spot?

Also, has anyone heard of people on the waitlist getting offers in the middle of the school year or late in the summer?
Others may be more knowledgeable but I have been told the WL could move up until the start of school. I have heard that no one enters mid year.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:01 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
I highly recommend a hand written letter (not an email) together with a request for a personal visit so you can make a case for your student.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:14 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:

I got hammered on that once and it did not make me happy.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:24 PM

16 posts, read 27,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Yes -- read the contract. Read it carefully. It is pretty standard. Perhaps some of the lesser known schools don't do it, but the reality is that the schools need the guarantee of tuition to pay their bills, etc.

There may be movement in the summer if a family moves away,for example. But again, few and far between.
Anyone hear anything regarding the wait lists ?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Is there a time on the 14th that contracts are due? Is it the same date for lower, middle & upper schools?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:16 PM

34 posts, read 62,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleboysrule View Post
Is there a time on the 14th that contracts are due? Is it the same date for lower, middle & upper schools?
I have been told the due date is by Thursday at 2:00pm. We only applied to lower schools, but I would imagine it's the same for all.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:54 PM

19 posts, read 24,013 times
has anyone moved off the waitlist yet?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:33 AM

16 posts, read 27,135 times
We didn't hear anything so we went ahead and put our deposit down for our 2nd choice.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 AM

Anyone hear about wait lists moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta