Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
First, dislike of someone's views isn't bigotry; it's disagreement. Disliking Nazis and Stalinists doesn't make me a bigot. It makes me someone who disagrees rather vehemently with the ideas of Nazism and Stalinism. Dislike of someone because of who they are is bigotry. Disliking ethnic Germans or Russians would make me a bigot.

Second, a tolerant society is no more required to accept intolerance than a peaceful society is required to roll over for warmongers and aggressors. Quite the contrary: Tolerance and peace both have to be defended against those who would violate them. Now, we use military force to defend ourselves from warmongers, words and laws to defend our society from bigots, but the principle remains the same.
This is one of the BEST posts I've ever seen on CD on any topic. This is Facebook worthy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:56 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This is one of the BEST posts I've ever seen on CD on any topic.
Aw, thanks!

Quote:
This is Facebook worthy!
Aw, damn.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 PM

283 posts, read 375,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
As someone who also spent time living in over-the-mountain suburbs in Birmingham...I think that's pretty much the best place for her.
Ouch!

Old 04-06-2016, 10:42 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByebyeOhio View Post
I thought Atlanta was a more tolerant city than this. I guess tolerance only applies if you agree to one's philosophies.

Southern couple (soon to be parents) relocating back down south

Before Moving To AtL I want to know about Subculture
everyone thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
If you actually post that you want to live in a primarily white neighborhood, that very likely means you're prejudiced in some way toward racial minorities. You deserve to get called out for that. It's a garbage preference to have.
not really they have right to want to live where they please. If that means no blacks, no Latinos and unicorns. That's their right.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:45 AM

70 posts, read 61,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Actually, you may. When you are presenting any idea to any group, it is your responsibility to present it in a way that will grab the group's attention and hold it. Give us one attention-getting line, follow up with a couple of highlights, THEN add links for those whose interest you piqued enough to make them want to read more.

When you are a newcomer you have to work even harder at it.
Well, when the forum does not actually parse url's automatically, then adds it's own url tags in the wrong syntax, and then does not provide an option to edit the post...as a person that started making websites on Microsoft notepad when I was 16, I would have been happy to post actual links.

Edit: I see now that it was Chrome adding the tags, my apologies...

Last edited by ByebyeOhio; 04-07-2016 at 05:00 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
First, dislike of someone's views isn't bigotry; it's disagreement. Disliking Nazis and Stalinists doesn't make me a bigot. It makes me someone who disagrees rather vehemently with the ideas of Nazism and Stalinism. Dislike of someone because of who they are is bigotry. Disliking ethnic Germans or Russians would make me a bigot.

Second, a tolerant society is no more required to accept intolerance than a peaceful society is required to roll over for warmongers and aggressors. Quite the contrary: Tolerance and peace both have to be defended against those who would violate them. Now, we use military force to defend ourselves from warmongers, words and laws to defend our society from bigots, but the principle remains the same.
This I agree, but I would have to ask that you refrain from (in your previous post a couple pages ago) calling people that hold a traditional mindset "Lost Causers", as assigning a (somewhat offensive) name to a group of people based on their belief system is a form of prejudice.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

We'll all be better when white conservative Christian people (like me) stop this victimization trip we're on.
That's a bit of an unfair statement. What makes you think that I am any of those things? I believe in treating all races and people fairly. That is not a white, black, liberal, or conservative mindset, it's a human mindset.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
The difference is that the second thread is from a normal person asking other normal people about places to live. The first thread's request read like something that was meant to be posted on Stormfront.

Since your very first post in this forum was worrying about whether some subdivision was "going downhill due to owners renting their houses to Section 8," I don't really expect you to have the empathy for other human beings required to see the difference between the two, though.
Because I don't want to make the biggest investment of my life and then watch it depreciate? Worry about paying my dues to an HOA that is not taking care or monitoring the neighborhood? What a horrible person I am. Thanks for looking at my past posts to try to drudge up an untrue and unfair statement to discredit me. You must be a politician.

And thank you for calling everyone who doesn't think exactly as you do "abnormal". I see you must be 13, and therefore not old enough to be a politician....yet. Keep it up though, you have a future ahead of ya!

For all that want to see the thread where I made such a horrible, racist comment, here it is:

Looking at BRANDYWINE LAKE sub in VILLA RICA...good?

Old 04-07-2016, 05:36 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Well, when the forum does not actually parse url's automatically, then adds it's own url tags in the wrong syntax, and then does not provide an option to edit the post...as a person that started making websites on Microsoft notepad when I was 16, I would have been happy to post actual links.

Edit: I see now that it was Chrome adding the tags, my apologies...
My apologies as well for the "thread fail" comment on page 1. Posting links to the site can be frustrating at times (especially on a mobile device). But whatever url code error was in the original, it works now in a "quote." Go figure!

Quote:
I thought Atlanta was a more tolerant city than this. I guess tolerance only applies if you agree to one's philosophies.

Southern couple (soon to be parents) relocating back down south

Before Moving To AtL I want to know about Subculture

(FYI the system gives you 90 minutes to edit a post, then it becomes permanent, but if you message a moderator and explain the problem somebody will come along and fix it eventually.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta