Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:20 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There's pretty good open space already, at least on the front side. It's clear all the way to the front door of the Georgia Pacific building. And when heading south on Peachtree and rounding the corner, the building appears in a dramatic way. Short of reclaiming three parking decks on the back and side, and a hotel on the other side, and turning them into parks, which obviously isn't going to happen, that's as much of a clearing as we're going to get.
Yes, I'm fine with the status quo. One of the building's positives is how well it relates to the surrounding environment (you mentioned the approach heading south on Peachtree; I agree). This is the hallmark of a great architect.
If they replace the decks eventually (yes, please), I can only hope that it's with something that's worthy of being a neighbor to Central Library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
It's a very underwhelming and unwelcoming building for me. I frequent the place often, the exterior and interior don't necessarily make me want to linger. It feels very dark. The view of downtown is great though. There is the homeless problem but the main library from where I from was quite open and airy and had a homeless problem as well.

More outlets and cleaner bathrooms would go a long way.
The library system in Fulton is abysmal with its weird hours that vary by branch. Took so getting used to when I moved here.

Library I frequented in Columbia, SC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...w=1014&bih=947

Old 04-20-2018, 02:29 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
A case to preserve the Central Library
https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/...ldings/558284/

Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Library I frequented in Columbia, SC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...w=1014&bih=947
That is gorgeous! I'd love to see something like that in the ATL.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:44 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I have to agree. It may be a Brutalist concrete bunker, but it's our Brutalist concrete bunker.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:46 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have to agree. It may be a Brutalist concrete bunker, but it's our Brutalist concrete bunker.
Damn right, and at this rate we might be the only ones who have one, so let's not be too much like Atlanta this time.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Well, this guy seems to get it.
All buildings are a projection of the Zeitgeist in their time; they are a physical manifestation of our cultural history. Central Library was constructed at a time when the city was going through a architectural renaissance that was largely led by John Portman; we were opening ourselves to new ideas as to what the city could be, and were poised for an emergence onto the world stage.
I'm not a fan of Brutalist architecture per se; I'm all too familiar with its presence in eastern European cities, a legacy from the Communist Era when it was intended to convey a message of oppression and anti-individualist thinking. But through the Central Library, Breuer managed to exemplify strength without oppressiveness and a self-assurance that makes the building look like it was always intended to be in its location. It is IMO a remarkable example of Brutalist style, and its preservation should not even be subject to debate.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:48 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
I pass the library every day even, when I'm not using it. I often forget that it there. This is a library, something that should engage and interact with people. Its design is so off-putting. Form should follow function.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I pass the library every day even, when I'm not using it. I often forget that it there. This is a library, something that should engage and interact with people. Its design is so off-putting. Form should follow function.
Even Louis Sullivan, the man who is credited with coining the phrase, was not really on board with the concept.

"The phrase "form (ever) follows function" became a battle cry of Modernist architects after the 1930s. The credo was taken to imply that decorative elements, which architects call "ornament", were superfluous in modern buildings. However, Sullivan himself neither thought nor designed along such lines at the peak of his career. Indeed, while his buildings could be spare and crisp in their principal masses, he often punctuated their plain surfaces with eruptions of lush art nouveau and celtic revival decorations, usually cast in iron or terracotta, and ranging from organic forms like vines and ivy, to more geometric designs, and interlace, inspired by his Irish design heritage. Probably the most famous example is the writhing green ironwork that covers the entrance canopies of the Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company Building on South State Street in Chicago. These ornaments, often executed by the talented younger draftsman in Sullivan's employ, would eventually become Sullivan's trademark; to students of architecture, they are his instantly recognizable signature."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_f...n#Architecture

And how does Central Library not accomplish that, anyway?

Time to trot out some Howard Roark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDI-afx6ejk

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-21-2018 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 08:27 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
One of the primary functions of a library is storage of books and other materials. Sunlight degrades paper. So in that sense, the form is following the function to the highest possible degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta