U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 PM

28,147 posts, read 24,679,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
It's architecturally significant. That's why I'd rather see it softened, than destroyed. Windows and murals and art on the outside, with a massive overhaul of the interior design would go a LONG way to making it more interesting.

That, or as someone else mentioned on the sub-reddit before, keep the building, but turn it into a museum of art. I say we could donate it (or trade it for other property) to Georgia Tech to use as a museum of urban design / architecture.
My suggestion was just to dress it up with a good paint job, maybe something along these lines.

Add some landscaping and it's not all that bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 05:59 PM

28,147 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why, the current location is convenient to MARTA and all of downtown. Archives building is state owned, in bad shape, and in a bad location, surrounded buy buried freeway on 3 sides.
Whenever we're talking about the Braves, cq, you say that's a great location that's easily accessible by MARTA.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:03 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,735,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
My suggestion was just to dress it up with a good paint job, maybe something along these lines.

Add some landscaping and it's not all that bad.
Right. The building is a MASSIVE canvas! Let's put up some murals, and color, and greenstuff. Maybe cover one wall in Ivy that can stay green in the winter (English Ivy Maybe?). I still would like more windows, just because it allows natural light inside.

Also, isn't the archives building getting taken down for the new state courts?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:38 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,021,752 times
Quote:
Also, isn't the archives building getting taken down for the new state courts?
Yes, it is.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, it is.
That's a big building... where're the archives going? Are they just being put into a new part of the court house?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,266,049 times
Quote:
See:

The Central Library, completed in 1980, was the last building to be designed by Bauhaus-movement architect Marcel Breuer. The building, designed in the brutalist architectural style, is considered a "masterpiece" by architectural experts, such as Barry Bergdoll, the Chief Architectural Curator of the Museum of Modern Art, and is closely related to the Whitney Museum of Art building.

It's architecturally significant. That's why I'd rather see it softened, than destroyed. Windows and murals and art on the outside, with a massive overhaul of the interior design would go a LONG way to making it more interesting.

That, or as someone else mentioned on the sub-reddit before, keep the building, but turn it into a museum of art. I say we could donate it (or trade it for other property) to Georgia Tech to use as a museum of urban design / architecture.
I've read up on it before and am very familiar hauhaus style buildings having traveled to Germany, Finaland, and the Netherlands quite a bit for work.

However, I'm not buying what is being sold.

That style isn't great to begin with. It pretty much has nothing to do the city or its history. It doesn't match the neighborhood and sticks out like a sore thumb. it is out of place and without being that interesting.

It isn't historically significant, which was the original point.

Architectural significance, meh uninspired.

If this was on the fringe of Downtown, in the middle of GSU's campus, or covering up another parking lot I would say... great. It adds to Downtown's architectural diversity.

But it is not. It is right there on Peacthree at the border of the Fairlie-Poplar district and it blends in with the ugly 70s era parking deck next door more than it does the old unique buildings of Atlanta that surround it.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I've read up on it before and am very familiar hauhaus style buildings having traveled to Germany, Finaland, and the Netherlands quite a bit for work.

However, I'm not buying what is being sold.

That style isn't great to begin with. It pretty much has nothing to do the city or its history. It doesn't match the neighborhood and sticks out like a sore thumb. it is out of place and without being that interesting.

It isn't historically significant, which was the original point.

Architectural significance, meh uninspired.

If this was on the fringe of Downtown, in the middle of GSU's campus, or covering up another parking lot I would say... great. It adds to Downtown's architectural diversity.

But it is not. It is right there on Peacthree at the border of the Fairlie-Poplar district and it blends in with the ugly 70s era parking deck next door more than it does the old unique buildings of Atlanta that surround it.

Sooooooo.... let's teardown the parking deck, donate the building to GA Tech / GSU for a co-oped museum of Design and Architecture or something.

We can build something much more classy on the parking deck's land (and bury the parking).

Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,266,049 times
Quote:
Sooooooo.... let's teardown the parking deck, donate the building to GA Tech / GSU for a co-oped museum of Design and Architecture or something.

We can build something much more classy on the parking deck's land (and bury the parking).
And the hideous monstrosity of the public library will hide it from Peachtree Street and we still have the same problem.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
And the hideous monstrosity of the public library will hide it from Peachtree Street and we still have the same problem.
Okay, we'll tear down the Equitable building. Oh! Or the Flat Iron building!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:27 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,491,763 times
Personal opinions about design are irrelevant. Tearing down an architecturally significant building in a neighborhood plagued by an ocean of surface parking and vacant land is an asinine idea, it matters not if you appreciate Brutalism as an architectural language.

If the library system is afraid they won't have money to complete their building campaign, renovating Central instead of rebuilding it is about the most obvious solution you could possibly imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or